SF Forester larger diameter exhaust

Austas75

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
SF Forester
Transmission
5spd Manual
Not sure if this is in the right section?

But I am looking at replacing my exhaust and was toying with putting one on with a larger diameter has anyone done this and was there any performance gains?

I have a modified exhaust system; can't remember the diameter but it's a little larger. You don't want it to be too big as the engine relies on back pressure. I have aftermarket free flowing cat and resonator and I think they would make more difference than any increase in the pipework. Performance gain - possibly but hard to gauge unless it was dynoed before and after.

Ok Thanks, Kevin, I just want a little extra power to help with towing. I will look into a free flow cat and resonator.

If your SF is non-turbo, it won't help.

But you can go into low range even on road, that helps alot as you have a 1,447:1 ratio.

Another option is to fit an EJ22 if you have an EJ20/122hp engine or an EJ25 if you have an EJ20/125hp engine because of harness compatibility.

[MENTION=15842]Austas75[/MENTION] BTW - I only replaced the exhaust system because it needed replacing. If your exhaust is in good condition then I wouldn't bother.

I put an oem 04 sti catback on my na 04 sg forester. Feels like a picked up a smidge of hp in higher rpms, in exchange for a smidge less torque in lower rpms

A larger exhaust diameter can reduce restrictions in the exhaust system - but too large will loose the scavenging effect where the exhaust acts like a chimney and pulls exhaust gasses out of the combustion chamber. At a certain point in the rev range this is lost, even on a stock exhaust.

Too large and the exhaust loses its scavenging effect until a lot later in the revs, this can lose the low down performance for around town driving.

While replacing the exhaust it’s a great time to get what you want - less restriction, maybe more noise ;) ;) ;)
UELs will give you the Subaru burble but the extractors or “Y” pipes rarely need replacing, and this is the section of exhaust that makes this happen or not - it’s in how they’re built.

Cheers

Bennie

Back