Snowy and High country trip Dec2012

Thanks for the info ill check those programs out sometime. Im still rather impressed by that in camera stitching idw but as none of my cameras can do that then its left to the manual way.

Back on topic.....
Any idea what the track closures are like up there in winter?

Might post some bigger photos of mt buffalo see if someone can join them for a banner
I think that can be arranged :iconwink: :biggrin:

The "secret" is to use the same focal length and aperture for all the shots you intend to use, and don't move your position too much.
On my Canon dSLR's, there is a button that you press, which will hold/lock the aperture & shutter speed for just that purpose :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

I think that can be arranged :iconwink: :biggrin:

LOL ...

On my Canon dSLR's, there is a button that you press, which will hold/lock the aperture & shutter speed for just that purpose :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

If you set Aperture Priority mode and then use an intermediate f-stop (such as f/5.6 or f/8), and leave the focus alone, the shutter speed will vary to correct the exposure amount so that it is reasonably consistent from shot to shot.

Using the same aperture, focal length and focus distance is very important. Having the shutter speed change doesn't have any effect as far as the final image fitting into a pano goes.

It is also important to learn the skill of panning the camera while maintaining the level from shot to shot, while leaving around 25-30% overlap from shot to shot so that the stitching program has enough 'meat' to work with.

Learning these relatively simple skills beats the crap out of carrying a tripod everywhere, and learning how to use a nodal panoramic head for it (and PAYING for one :( ... ).

AND @ Jan: I have also heard good things about Microsoft ICE elsewhere ...

Looking at this trip report, and copying some of the photos i took back to my computer. MY hdd with all my photos dies and i lost years of photos. Glad i found some here...Now i need to go back to the high country and take more to make up for all the ones i lost!

Damn Fine bit of Country there
was there last week

I was told the Brumbies are further up

there is a geezer who runs a good horse trekking operation in the High Country
he gave me some tips on where to go

There is Brumbies in the Barmah Forest near Echuca
anyone been up there as well

Jest askin cos you mentioned Brumbies and I wan't to find some
as my partner is a horse nut

When i was talking with one of the parks blokes at oriental claims he said head to the poplars / combat range and combat flat. Combat flat is around a horse / walking track and is gated from the south but not from the north. Probably wouldn't recommend driving on it.

There should be brumbies around farmers ridge and suggan buggan rangers valley. The eastern end of the alpine national park had some pet control going on last year, so might want to be careful out that way looking for brumbies, they are out there though.

Back