GreenSuby

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Gday all
The daughter has a '99 model outback with a sunroof leak.
Is there a common place that they leak from (front or back section)?
The water flows into the front interior light. I did unblock the drains that empty out the back of the car but doesn't seem to have helped.
Assuming that it is the rubbers around the glass, where would be the best place to get replacements?
Could it be leaking from the roof rails as well?
Thanks
Greensuby

I believe there are also front drains - perhaps they're blocked

Gady havachat. No rust in the car, plenty of dust behind everything though. Was a country car.
Gday kevin. Didnt know about front drains. I'll have to look for these.
Thanks guys
Greensuby

Hi there! This happened to mine. Front drains are blocked. I used my air compressor for my tyres into the pipes to blow them out. The pipes go from front of sunroof down the A pillers. There are also side drains between the two glass panels but these spill either to the front or rear drains. To access these you need to pull down the roof liner, I didn't take mine out I just unbolted all the front items (sun visors etc) to gain access.

Thanks theinterceptor
Do the tubes exit the a pillars? If so, might be easier to blow back up the tube to clear a blockage.
Still haven't gotten around to doing this yet, just been getting her to park nose up in our driveway.
As usual always good advice & help from members on here.
Greensuby

If anything like my '97 OB I think they are behind the rear of the front wheel arch lining - means you have to pull the lining out to get at them. My Foz is probably them same but I've never looked for them.

No worries GS! Yes they drain just behind the front wheels. There is a small tube behind the wheel well liner. If you peel that back you can blow up it. Hopefully whatever is blocking it won't end up reblocking it later so when you end up blowing it out, stick your head around the sunroof and see if you can see anything major in the channels if possible. You'll have to get a bottle of water to pour in the gutter channel to test if the block is clear. Easiest done on the middle gutter below the larger sunroof.

Also helps to have the car parked facing nose down so it all goes to the front for more accuracy!

Forester is the same yes :)

Gday guys
Finally got around to fixing the leak today.
Turned out that the drain hoses were blocked at the very bottom. The area behind the mud flap that the drain hose ends was caked in sand & solid dust. Just had to dig the hose out & it flowed again.
The car was previously a country car & there is dust behind every interior panel like you wouldn't believe & this is just another problem linked to country use.
Thanks to all those that educamated me on how to fix this. Would've been lost without this forum.
Greensuby

Back