Outback '01 2.5 4eat VDC project

So couple years ago i bought myself my first subaru ever and after long time thinking took outback against forester. Didint had budget for newer one so went for some 2nd gen that i found

Top original, lower 2"" lift with BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16
n5nmsdMh.jpg

It was 2001 subaru outback 2.5 4eat eith rear LSD and early VDC package. All weather with heated seats, windows, climate control.
It has rear self leveling shocks still ok condition so i left them just put 2" spacer on top. Not sure is it made car harder and less comfy but it can take load very well. But its not soft car to drive fast on bad roads
Then i cut front bumper and put steel skid plate just for engine. Diy it myself from steel sheet from scrapyard
abWmdRUh.jpg

Hey man
Your soobs looking sweet as with your new home made roof rack
That’s bloody awesome mate
Well done!!

1WD

exploring forest with fallen trees lots sand and places where noone was driving before. amazing feeling where you drive somewhere first for long time
HdKQJdjh.jpg

qcBImhDh.jpg

without cut or custom bumper here would be no go. but now i dont have to worry about front bumper at all
KoUWjQhh.jpg

and i guess i had bad marking with timing belt. when i redone that now car feels and accelerates like new car. nothing like it was before slugish and not powerfull.
now just will wait do that P0420 will come back to errors.

Awesome!:thumbsup:

[MENTION=15721]scalman[/MENTION], are these forests close to your place?

[MENTION=14807]temmah[/MENTION] yes they are about 15-25 min drive from my flat now very dry no rains so i must be carefull with that exhaust not to make fire
Shame now last years ppl more and more buying some are in forests and then cutting trees there. So they making better roads into forests to drive for those truks. But still barely touched nature can be found there if look closely
And i drove more time on those firebreak lines in forest thry much more interesting and can be very soft sand here yellow soft sand allmost like in beach just with some grass. So noone drives via them there so often i make some cuts via them.

Yh i love those pics too. Good luck with your car ;)

i had just one that resonance reservoir from 3 of them i should have so i was blocked other holes , but now i cut all them and just used black duck tape there to close all those.
dTrRL6ih.jpg

had fun other day as in local forester meet. 8 cars in all. some forests passing , small rivers and sand lots of sand. no mud because this summer is very dry until now . but managed to find some water to cross still..,or sink
4RKfq0Gl.jpg

that guy started car afterwards but it was pulling lots errors about catalyst sesnor and some lights. good that ECU was high enough .
other similar newer forry went same spot too and unlucky his ECU was still on floor height so its drowned . later was cleaned dried and was going good. both cars where full of water inside .
myself i wasnt going into that deep part but i going around there too in water almost until door. one time i opened my door and water just about to enter inside lol. closed it fast. didint had traction problems still. it was muddy bottom . and no aired down tires. full 2.1 psi

Looks like a lot of fun was had!

Yup just not for those who float in that muddy water haha. I was very carefull and allways watched first how deep they go so i could calculate my height to that. No tway i wanna dry my salon from mud and my ecu still bolted and they say my model ecu its like on floor. Simple way to unbolt it hang it higher as there is some wire still to put it higher.
Was going on very steep angles up and down and where lifted 1,2,3 rd gen foresters where hanging on bumper or touching it i was no prob in front.
Rear at couple places i was scrabing that lip or hook in rear. I must do something about it there.
Oh and weirdly enough at one place my rear driver sidr driveshaft unclipled from diff . we thought whats going on so we lift car driver side just pushed wheel and its went into place again. Was weird hmm. After that tested it hard on corners on sand and it never went off again.

Any more pics or video? Looks awesome. Reminds me of my zook days.

this one had idea with stock forester street tires to drive on sand dune and then turn right and slide down...it went left before and then we were afraid he can roll down, so we made this rescue operation with 2 cars and very long ropes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=33&v=s8B9bfxVOck
car that was in mud water too deep and had ECU underwater .
42c59cc7b1cbc60d0f756cb1ff0e7478.jpg

BFSmXKMh.jpg

here i went too close to water but then got up
zU8l5tSh.jpg

not bad travel for stock struts
zjOEPNCh.jpg

and i will call it flexing or articulation because thats what matters in offroad and disconecting sway bars helps a lot for solid exles but its helps some to IS as well just not that much. so as i said before and as i thought no sway bars means more flex / articulation.

Last edited:
Last pic is awesome, they all are, but i like the last one best.

Looks like you had a great day out.

Would love to do this sort of thing once im up and running.

1WD

Ohh yh it was great just dry summer so almost no mud anywhere so all was left for us to do some offroading was sand and couple small river crossing.
And found out how much rear bumper is bad on departures still. Well its digging ability is amazing haha. I will modify it somehow so it wont dig so much , other then that car performed great just on some uphills it feels not enough power same as those other forys had specially with autos. Some extra 100hp would be just amazing here as those h6 giving.
Found out new app to talk between drivers its Zello. Its need internet but works great for chating . but yh it need net . and we had that most time so was good.
Found out that i need to put my ecu higher if i wanna cross some deeper waters. So thats easy mod and snorkel would help with that.
And those all with full bumpers had problems with mud stucking in places where radiator cools dow. As i dont have those anymore down just on grill no prob for me from mud in front too.
Very cool and friendly young ppl they where allways helping if some problem or to check car they coming righy away and asking did i had some probs and such. Towed me couple times too. So i thought next time i rly need to have my own proper recovery gear.

I have water wings soon lift off
ILjlJ21h.jpg

Last edited:
found this under wheel
sometimes car just died in middle of road or just dont start. so i just put thand under wheel search for some cables, move them and it started again. lately it started to annoy me ...
pixlr_20180714222407928_zpsxlmnf0km.jpg

omg. fissed it . car starts ok no more erors too

-30 euros used alternator as mine stopped charging. good that i have second battery in trunk. it saved me .
kZWxIMJh.jpg

its so easy job couple minutes... just one thing when engine is super hot and everything around then its like being in hell :)

its good that i cut front bumper ..and covered front under it. its now looks like boat in water lol
b2z8kePh.jpg

with full front bumper here would be so many problems and water everywhere. now no wave in front of car from bumper no nothing

B9IL2Yvh.jpg

so i thought i measure again my appraoch and departure angles as im thinking do i need make something of rear bumper or just leave it as it is. and results where better then before for front as i made little higher front spacers for struts. now they about 5.2cm so im getting now about 30 degrees approach angle . pretty good i would say for such long nose car.
mU4vYkrl.jpg

so stock mitsu L200 is about same results
l200_performance_img_12.png

or similar to stock jeep compass and its have very short nose not like mine
img.jpg

so for a subaru wagon is not bad i think.

and front is allways more important. rear is kinda well you can live with it even if you touch bumper it will slide off or brake . not big problem as we have pretty flexiable bumper there. but im thinking on cutting it some just to see where i could go in there. like how much .

Back