Outback '01 2.5 4eat VDC project

So couple years ago i bought myself my first subaru ever and after long time thinking took outback against forester. Didint had budget for newer one so went for some 2nd gen that i found

Top original, lower 2"" lift with BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16
n5nmsdMh.jpg

It was 2001 subaru outback 2.5 4eat eith rear LSD and early VDC package. All weather with heated seats, windows, climate control.
It has rear self leveling shocks still ok condition so i left them just put 2" spacer on top. Not sure is it made car harder and less comfy but it can take load very well. But its not soft car to drive fast on bad roads
Then i cut front bumper and put steel skid plate just for engine. Diy it myself from steel sheet from scrapyard
abWmdRUh.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me if they were different between outback & impreszza.
one from a Forester could be closer to what you need if none from your model outback available.?

Yes ones are shorter then others
QI2sb6th.jpg

so now i have 2 longer and 2 shorter , so just need to change CV's and keep short axle part and im good. but its very messy job to take them apart clean all and then put back hehe .

Last edited:
Getting ready for car camping and photography
y3Bkmihh.jpg

I've got one of those little fire starters. They're good. :)

I never had them or used, so now i will feel like true survivor hehe making fire with spark and stuff
That folded cup is interesting thing if you make it to cup and drop on table not gently its folding down... Thats not ideal if you have drink in it is it?
I guess idea is not put it anywhere while drinking just hold it in hand and you be fine.

tried drive to forest and torture car little but problem is that didint knew i had low oil level and engine runs ok on roads but in one place digging sand and stuff that everything just heats up really fast . coolant went over 100 celcious. well after i checked oil and it was low so yh. and low because it leaks and i dont check it offten enough i guess.
and with engine heats up VDC turns off because it doesnt like heat too or some sensors that it uses doesnt like heat. so yh , still had some fun. its very dry everywhere because no rain for month and month now . and it came that heat so early in spring , like today midday was like +26 celcious. and thats a lot for our spring. sometimes we got that heat just middle of summer. so yh . with all that is nice to have climate control in car not just AC button.
bottom left VDC off and you just going down in 2 seconds , or on right VDC on and it doesnt let wheel spin too much , doesnt mean you will make where you need in first try but at least you wont destroy track for others and wont dig down
QYNRomfh.jpg

Last edited:
did video on that place too and made some gifs hows working with VDC on and then off
20190427_211800_zpsqalnvvb2.gif

20190427_153226_zpsblp1rm9y.gif

can be seen that with VDC on it does ok to not dig down but if its too hard car wont move forward as well , it just too much so need go back and try second time.
and with VDC off its just simple open diffs that one wheel digs down and all car could be stuck
it could do so much better just with low gear and more torque there.

Passenger side rear axle changed too to shorter one then more welding on subframe mounts and looking how much top link limit travel down
VqFF3Xgh.jpg

KkrE9IPh.jpg

my another VDC test in sand this time with diagonals so it would be 1 or 2 wheels without traction most time. at the end its overheated, not VDC but coolant got to over 100 degrees celcious temperature and VDC started to turn off. it could be seen when in end wheels just turns in air freely thats when VDC went off, and then got on again for short time and then off again. after that i drived home and VDC was off until coolant temperature dropped down. so i have some problem with overheating, just question is engine or gearbox or whats overheats and why
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ozTO73Lc0&list=UURpccqpuVAYzXFgVqVxKYCQ"]Subaru VDC in sand with diagonals - YouTube[/ame]

and i thought putting back front sway bar will be good idea and my car will be more stable on high speeds on road...well and then this happen. because look what position sway bar is there and car just stands on flat ground there. so of course it will ripp off anything ill put there or if that will be stronger then something else will take a hit
BtrdwLRh.jpg

Last edited:
and i thought putting back front sway bar will be good idea and my car will be more stable on high speeds on road...well and then this happen. because look what position sway bar is there and car just stands on flat ground there. so of course it will ripp off anything ill put there or if that will be stronger then something else will take a hit

this doesn't make any sense to me.

On flat ground, regardless of lift, there should be no load in your swaybar unless there's binding somewhere - and the mounts will line up.

Double check you don't have other issues.

Oh - and those types of links are always a bit sloppy, I've found.

just one side broke off, other side is still connected thats why.

ABS errors codes came up first time after removing steering rack and putting it back ... duno i didnt touched rear wheels but i have now ABS codes 38 and 28 and it for rear left ABS sensors and rear left outlet valve. so where those come from...

Maybe you disturbed something on or near the brake force distribution unit (can't remember exact name) which is near the steering shaft on my Foz?

Also, have a look over at subaruforester.org

I think im reading codes wrong way. In this pdf file it looks more complicated
2ag12lPh.png

I need to read some intervals not just count blinking there or smt i got confused here now.
Still looking for some pics like where i need to look for those wires or conectors as i dont see on car where some abs or ebd wires could be near steering rack. And i checked stuff arround there nothing loose nothing that would be damaged or smt.

Odb2 reader doesnt show abs codes just cars ecu codes.at least that bluetooth one. Maybe cable reader to pc would show more not sure. But i didint broke notin just by removing stearing rack so must be something im still not seeing there maybe some wires maybe.

still nothing on that ABS error. all cables looks ok if only i would know how those cable goes and does this car have some wheel angle sensors i dont think so speed ones sure but other kind ? VDS has its own sensors but they not measure angles i think . i would think so there is that socket to read ABS codes why its no way to reset them , then if its active error it would came up right away on again and if its not active error it would go away . or do i need go to garage that they would plug computer i would pay them money and they would reset my ABS codes.

Back