Boat reno.

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Over the last couple of months i've been working on collecting stuff for a new casting deck in the boat.
I shouldn't have long to go and it will be finished.

I used a bit of aluminum angle that my landlord had laying around and used aluminium pop rivets to fix it. This will be the only drilling into the boat for the complete addition.

My landlord is good with timber and he made the wooden bits and i had them done with marine carpet.

I sealed the timber with umpteen coats of a poly sealer before they were carpeted.
Tomorrow i am taking it up to a fellow in Bega to see if i can get him to do some welding i want done to fix the adjustable pedestal seat i have got for the front.
Because of the style of the pedestal seat i need to be able to remove the base as i have a custom made cover for the boat and the base would be no good as a fixed mount. Pics i post later will make it all clear.
I also have a rear removable swivel seat and both fixed aluminium bench seats will also have carpet on them.
I will post pics as each bit is finished.
This is what it looked like before..

Last edited:
That was a quick reply Mr Turbo!!
It will certainly be better for my old back:).
I've managed to scrape up a few things,done a bit myself and bought stuff on special from BCF, Whitworths Marine when i was up in Sydney and also something on Gumtree but it all adds up. Probably no change from $700 but i will add it up at the end.
Worth every cent i reckon.

I took the boat up to the guy that was going to do some welding for me but he said the aluminium is too thin to weld properly and i have to take it back next week for him to have a proper look and construct something for me.
I understand that you can weld thin aluminium...i think it is only about 1mm thick...maybe a bit less... but you have to know exactly what you are doing.
I will take it to someone else to get a second opinion.
If it is all too difficult i will have to revert to plan B which was my original idea but not quite as strong but probably all OK.

Tehee silver... they don't want to compromise your safety. My son discovered when one of his rod holder mods to his canoe went awry... what happens out in the middle of nowhere........ it started taking in water.. and when it got full enuff... capsized. He was livid. Lost his best fishing rod, 4 fish, all his lures. Thanks be to god the hours and hours spent at swimming lessons when he was little! Your casting deck looks awesome, and I bet it makes it a heap easier to get in your boat too :)

Best regards,

A bit of progress. This is the contraption that i wanted and the pic will explain what i was after....access to to nuts so i can take of the pedestal when i need to put my cover on.
I was not particularly happy with the quality of the workmanship. No attention to detail. The support bits in the middle are too wide..as in the box section did not need to be so big...they are also not in the middle on each side, it is not dead centre of the seat...not out by much but how hard is it?? X divided by 2 is the centre!! It's also 310cm wide and i asked for 270cm, bloody hopeless really but it is strong enough and i will cover most of it with carpet so it will look better when i am finished.

I think it all looks quite huge in this photo but when i am finished and get a pic from a distance it will come into perspective.

Nice progress there silver. Too bad folks can't follow directions and attention to detail is even harder to come by.:lildevil:
When are we goin' fishin'?

I have never understood why people do a rubbish job and think that it is OK...by that i mean when i am paying you to do something i would expect that i have choosen you because you might know what you are doing and will look after my interests....and your own ....for repeat business.
Anyway it's done.
It's pretty cold here...for me anyway...and i have not been out for a month or so.
It should start to warm up a bit by the end of August but if i get a good day next week i might stir and put the boat in.
I'll need to test out my mods anyway but probably won't finish doing stuff until late next week.
Fishing OK over your way??

Well it's just about done and i am pretty happy with it. Here are some progress photos. A bit simailar to previous ones but they look a bit better!

Access to the bolts that hold the pedestal base on is from underneath.

Ended up cutting every bit of carpet myself and glued it all on (except the front 3 sections as this was too complicated for me) with tubes of Sellys Kwikgrip i got from BigW. Still worked out cheaper than getting an upholsterer to do it.

Not a great photo but this is the job done. Well not quite finished as i will do a few more little bits and the back seat is not finished yet.
Overall,i'm more that happy with my 'bush job'.:ebiggrin::ebiggrin::ebiggrin:

Took it for a spin on Tuesday. Certainly much better. great to be able to walk around up the front. The way i have mounted the Electric Motor is now not the best but, again, i could not have a mounting plate extending past the rail because of the cover. It's a bit of a hassle but i am not going to change it as it is not worth the effort.
I also managed to jam a 25mm electrical conduit down the side of the rail to keep the cable(s) neat and tidy.
Few more things to do yet. I have made up some 'demountable' navigation lights and am working on a removable white night light for the rear. I will do some night fishing once the weather warms up.
Also working on a battery tray to stop things sliding around and a way of keeping the fuel tank from doing the same.
Coming, at some time, is a fish finder and a slightly bigger pitch prop for better cruising.
Weather permitting i'm heading out Sat & Sun for a bit of relaxing. I got 4 Flatties the other day. They are a bit on the lighter side this time of year but they will get in better condition as it gets closer to summer.
Don't forget..if anyone is down this way...PM me if you want a trip up the river....it's certainly worth a look.

Last edited:
Ok. It's all done. Pretty happy with it. Maybe the seat is a touch big but i am the only person that is usually in it so all good. Nice and comfy anyway. Fishing is a bit quiet but i always get a feed.

Back