OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Mods, Insurance, Local Compliance & you

Notices

Old 3rd July 2018, 10:50 AM

Year: 2003
Model: SG Forester 2.5X
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
OneSixty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesel View Post
WA being WA i'm sure the limit is a 300mm increase .
This is an old post but 50mm is the legal limit in WA. Anything more than that has to pass a lane change test and be looked at by an engineer, the Department of Transport site does not make this clear.

The other option is a increase of 50mm on your tyres and with that you are allowed a 1 inch lift

Or I could be completely wrong.

Edit: Didn't see all the recent comments
Old 9th July 2018, 12:53 AM

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

@Ben Up North
Hi Ben,

The National Code of Practice for Vehicle Modification applies to suspension lifts. It says "Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension travel in the direction of the ride height change" requires certification. (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf). This is from a NSW Gov source but its a national code so it still applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Up North View Post
@NachaLuva can you do a strut lift for an SVX? 2inches would be good, I reckon I can get 215/65/16s on it and still be just about legal and I'm pretty sure that in QLD any vehicle can have up to 50mm suspension lift.

Mad I know, but it could make an awesome 2 person tourer if I dragged a trailer behind it. not sure how to fit a snorkel though.
Old 9th July 2018, 05:55 AM

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
@Ben Up North
Hi Ben,

The National Code of Practice for Vehicle Modification applies to suspension lifts. It says "Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension travel in the direction of the ride height change" requires certification. (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ifications.pdf). This is from a NSW Gov source but its a national code so it still applies.
Yep. Have read the national standards a lot. that's why I state almost legal.
To be honest, I'm going to try and be completely legal on the SVX. Have found a reputable engineer that has built a wide range of vehicles, including a rather natty HQ Ute on a Landcruiser chassis. I'll be discussing this project in detail with him after I get the beastie on the road (which I'm still hoping might be by christmas).
DesetRunner's SVX has a 2" Lift, 225/70/16s and it's road legal, so it can be done.
Unless it doesn't need to be (ha!) everything I do lift wise will be certified on this vehicle, too rare a car to bodge it.
I can see this project being about 10 times the cost of the car by the time it's finished. which is still prety cheap in the scheme of things. There's ano old saying or two about boats: Going sailing is like standing under a cold shower tearing up $20 bills and a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw $100 bills. I've got the feeling the SVX will be a similar experience.
Old 9th July 2018, 06:30 AM

Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions

All my respect to Kevin in choosing to move my comments to this thread but in doing so, has changed the context. The thread we are now in is about lifts for Foresters (MC classification) whereas the SVX is MA so the comment I made and the legislation I quoted is relevant for the SVX and was not intended to be applied to an MC classified vehicle.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:05 AM

Fair enough. I think this thread is a good spot for it, due principally to the title not being specific about classifications.
No where in the Regs that I've come across states the a maximum lift of 2" does not apply to MA category vehicles. A strut lift doesn't affect suspension travel at all (not sure if I'll be if I'll be putting strut blocks in, will wait on what the engineer says), so I'm not sure the 1/3 rule even applies in that particular case.
I also think that the 1/3 rule applies to all vehicles, regardless of classification, so it is relevant to this thread.
It would definitely apply if I went for something like Hotbits, or other longer travel suspension (I do like Matts sugestion of putting longer travel Subaru suspenison in it - the BG Outback has the longest I think I've read).
The engineer will tell me, I'm sure.
Old 9th July 2018, 07:39 AM

Don't be shy about giving Queensland Transport a call either. They were very helpful when I was trying to make a decision about my Forester lift. Keeping things legal has been my first priority.

Good luck with it.
Old 9th July 2018, 08:03 AM

They're definitely on my list.

Tags
adr, australian design rules, maximum lift, modifications, tyre sizes, wheel diameter