please log your tracks/waypoints

eden

bush bash'n ranga
For those with equiped with a GPS device, please consider logging your tracks/waypoints and uploading them onto a file hosting website such as www.mediafire.com. this way when you post your trip report you can paste a link for people to download and convert to their GPS format using https://www.gpsbabel.org/ .This then can be viewed in Google earth, Worldwind, Oziexplorer and many other applications and can be retraced by other interested members. some software will also let you link waypoints to photos for a better understanding of the area. thankyou:D

My Garmin Nuvi 255 has a handy "where am I?" feature which shows my location in lat/long. I can then save it & find my back there anytime or share it with others :biggrin:

I haven't got a GPS but once I get some time to go for a short drive up to Cooloolabin dam I'm gonna try a GPS logger app from the Android marketplace. I'll try to make it work somehow.

Lots. I use Navigator by Mapfactor which works well but relies on open maps so isn't the best at times.
The nice thing is you can upload your tracks to open maps and improve the mapping :)

I have a Hema HN7 but I think they also have an app

@Ben Up North is it free??
Yes, but after using it for a few years I bought all the add-ons.
If you live in Australia (and I think new zealand) you can't buy maps.
Anywhere else you can buy TomTom maps for your region.
You also can't upload maps to it either. :( (apart from through Open Maps, where you can import co-ordinates)

Ozi Explorer used to be good, but haven't looked at it for a decade.

Hema certainly has a good reputation, reasonably priced to I think.

Oh.. I've also got Australia Topo Maps on Android, another freemium type of download. there's a paid version of it available that allows caching of maps and route planning. Thinking about buying it as it's only $18.99 for life (or $5.89 a year).

Last edited:
That looks interesting. can you get your track data out for upload? That's what I do like about navigator although you do need to do a bit of tweaking to upload the info to open street maps (may have changed, haven't done an upload for a year or so)

You can actually see one of my efforts on google maps (which updates from open street maps), if you search Black Mountain road Kuranda, I completed the link between Kuranda and Julatten :)
a lot of tracks have been uploaded in the area since then by the looks of it, most of that would be forestry.

Last edited:
I have Gaia too but ive never used it. To be honest i have forgotten im more focused on learning how to offroad in the Forester at the moment haha

That looks interesting. can you get your track data out for upload? That's what I do like about navigator although you do need to do a bit of tweaking to upload the info to open street maps (may have changed, haven't done an upload for a year or so)

You can actually see one of my efforts on google maps (which updates from open street maps), if you search Black Mountain road Kuranda, I completed the link between Kuranda and Julatten :)
a lot of tracks have been uploaded in the area since then by the looks of it, most of that would be forestry.
Yes, even with the Gaia GPS free version, you can upload all your trips.

I remember I also use WikiLoc, which is much more open for sharing. I found a lot of easy to moderate trails there. I may actually start using it more for logging as I am seeing more and more logs on it, especially from international tourers.

Regarding Mapfactor, it is much more on the open side of things and I found out that the file type it uses on the Windows CE version allows for the upload and download of extremely detailed maps and trip logs. Mapfactor map is installed in the head unit of the GG9. If I have it on my SG, I will definitely use it, instead of the app GPS loggers, as it is offline with GPX logging capabilities. Smartphones heat up when used for tracking for longer periods.

Back