Fuel gauge always on E

OneSixty

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
SG Forester 2.5X
Transmission
5 Speed Manual
Previously it was found that my Forester was reading it was empty due to a fuel float arm float that had decided it wanted to be free. After replacing the whole fuel float arm it did read the correct fuel level... for about 5 minuets.
The fuel gauge moves around a bit but is always below E and the fuel light is always on, any ideas on what could be causing this? Don't really want to take the fuel unit thing out to check if the new float has come off but might have to.

this happens to be a common fault among the yanks aswell putting fuel in the tank seems to help more than $5 also makes a difference .... maybe try $50 bux and let us know what the gauge says then

Perhaps the fuel level sending units are not working? I suppose these can be tested but there are no diagnostic values in my workshop manual.

Check your wiring and make sure there are good connections all the way. Including inside the tank. Power comes from the dash and goes to the passenger side of the tank, then goes to the drivers side and then must go to earth. Don’t confuse the fuel pump wiring with the sender unit wiring. Do you have a multi meter? You will need one if you can’t find anything obvious. I should be able to tell you which wires are the sender unit wires if you don’t know, I just need to go and find the schematics.

I also should have said that after it was replaced and stopped working it later started reading a bit after it had been thrashed through some bush tracks but doesn't work now. I will definitely try the things you have said.

I personally think it has to do with my Dad putting WD-40 on electrical plugs (something he likes doing to "stop corrosion") and its fried something.

I suspect that if the low warning light is on, you may not have fried anything. A poor earth will do what you are experiencing. Once the owner leaves the cluster, it’s trying to find a path to earth, via the resistance of the sender unit.

I also should have said that after it was replaced and stopped working it later started reading a bit after it had been thrashed through some bush tracks but doesn't work now.

definitely a dodgy connection / bad earthing / frayed wire sort of fault.

Filled the tank today and 2 things happened.
1: The fuel gauge IS reading now but isn't correct.
2: There has been a constant smell of fuel in the car and today I found a fuel leak that I will have to investigate further later.

Filled the tank a few days ago before going on a 120km one way drive (about 260km both ways and offroad) to go offroading with Red XS, TheInterceptor and OffRoadFalcon. The fuel gauge is now working perfectly, strange it wasn't before as it was filled not long after the new fuel level float was installed.

Thanks everyone that tried to help!

Back