Mathew

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
Hi Everyone,

Just got back from a trip to Fraser Island in my 04 Forester X. Had a great time and was very surprised how the Forester went. Got as far as Orchid Beach, wanted to get to the Cape but ran out of time plus tides were not on our side (very high lows).

Getting through Inskip was a breeze. Took everyone's advise and kept it in 1st (have an auto) power button and and just followed the tracks. I am glad I put the new sumpguard on as it took a beating! Unfortunately once I got to the other side discovered there was a new noise to my front right, will find out today what the damage is :thumbsdown:

I am also glad I put a 2 inch lift on the Forester for the trip. It would have been hard for a stock Forster (loaded up) to get through some of the inland tracks, plus the entry/exit to most tracks were deep. I am just running standard tyre size, so will look at going up a size for the next trip. A little bit more of clearance from tyres would have been handy for the Orchid Beach track.

Will look at setting up a 12v Fridge. My 68l esky is taking up too much space and feel a fridge will keep food fresher and longer, without the hassle of ice. We needed a large esky due to the family size. Ice does take up a lot of space!

During the trip I got thinking how to improve my trip for next time and thought I would see what others have done:

Tyres: My stock tyres did the job, but can see the advantages of going up a size. A bit of extra clearance from tyres would have been handy. Went to the local tyre shop and he said going to a 215/70r16 was too large for up here in QLD. Have any other QLD owners had this same issue? He said I should be OK to got to a 65 as this keeps it within the limit allowed.

Storage: 2 adults and 2 kids plus luggage was a bit of a push (we were camping so had to bring a bit of stuff). If I am wanting to go up a tyre size, obviously the spare will go on the roof will there still be plenty of space for gear if I buy a full length roof cage? Or does the tyre take up a heap of space?

Rear/Front Bumper Bar: Would like to replace for better clearance, do not want to spend over 4 grand for a front/rear bar (a new rear bar and front bar would be worth more than the car!) Are there any alternatives I am not aware of apart from the local supplier down south? I asked my local wrecker and he said when ever he gets them in they get snapped up quick!

Getting stuck in the soft sand got me thinking if I had an XT would the extra power have got me out of the soft stuff, or do I need low range? Would be interesting to hear what can be done to get out of the soft stuff. Having an Auto I know I cant do the swap, but is there something else I could do to make it more usable in the soft stuff?

Overall was very impressed how the Forester did. Most people that chatted to me were very interested and wanted to chat about what I have done to the car and how it has done. When the kids get bigger can see a few more limitations, but for now I am looking forward to planing the next trip!

Cheers

Hi Everyone,
Will look at setting up a 12v Fridge.
Thoroughly recommend that, We went from 2 X 70L heavy duty Iceboxes to 1 X 48L fridge and a small icebox.
edit: If you are on the hunt, and considering drawers check out some of the drawer versions of fridges available. If they had been available before we bought ours, I would have seriously considered one, but they are more pricey.

Tyres: My stock tyres did the job, but can see the advantages of going up a size. A bit of extra clearance from tyres would have been handy. Went to the local tyre shop and he said going to a 215/70r16 was too large for up here in QLD. Have any other QLD owners had this same issue? He said I should be OK to got to a 65 as this keeps it within the limit allowed.

I disagree regarding legalities. Stock is 215/60R16. Maximum increase allowed is 50mm Diameter, 215/70/R16 comes in under that. I'm runnning 215/65/R16 though, as I didn't want to lose too much climbing ability.

obviously the spare will go on the roof
My 215/65/R16 fits in the spare well with a bit of deflation. 70s might fit with a bit of massaging of the wheel well.

Sounds like you had a great trip!:thumbsup:

I know my Foz is an SH and standard size tyre is 215/65/16. I have a 50mm lift and 215/70/16 tyres on an auto. Although I haven't been to Fraser with it, I have never seen it close to getting stuck in soft sand even without going below 18psi. The auto is better than a manual in sand and low range wouldn't give a significant, if any advantage. With the bigger tyres and no low range I have climbed hills that 4X4 s have had to use low range on and the Foz could have increased speed if necessary. Low range might help if you need to crawl over rocks but on sand you need to maintain momentum.

If the sand is soft, drop your tyre pressure.

Queensland Bullbars make a Bullbars for the SG1. A lot cheaper than Subaxtreme and if you are handy you can fit yourself.
I have both a polished and a powdercoat and suggest powdercoat.
I have a roof basket 1200x900 and carry a second spare, gas cylinder, treds, two 20 ltr jerries and shovel in it.

Sounds like you had a good time. A group of us spent at week at Fraser Island a year or so ago. I have a 2 inch lift and larger tyre size and my CVT SJ Forester went very well as did all the other Subarus on the trip. The tracks may have been slightly different but with the 2 inch lift and larger tyres there was no problems re getting stuck.

Kevin - I agree with you but I was being conciliatory to those who have invested time and money into low range manuals. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. :)

Autos may be “better” for off-roading, but where’s the fun in that?? Same for onroad.

Sounds like a good trip was had Matthew. I can’t wait to get to Fraser Island. Whether it’ll happen in my L is another question.

It’s also good to read that your assessing your setup, working out what would make your kit work better for what you want to do. If you go with a fridge slide, make a cage to go over it to use the storage space above the fridge.

Post up some pics if you’ve got any ;) I know how hard it is to get pics sometimes when you’re busy enjoying the drive ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks for all the feedback!

Have been looking into fridges (as well as the fridge section on this site) and have already started to plan the set up, just comes down to where I will put the spare tyre!

Like the look of the mod for the diff lock, will look into that a bit further, sure that will help me next time.

Have already booked our next trip in September to Orchid Beach so have 9 months to get it all set up the way I want!

Back