Motorsport Driver Training

Rally

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
WRX
Transmission
6 Speed
Previously when a group of us have gone off roading, I’ve been asked to help those new to heading off road. It was good to see the improvement in drivers at the end of the day compared to earlier in the day.

I’ve done similar things in motor racing. Twelve months ago, 2 new drivers began competing and I jumped into their cars as well. Neither was doing very well getting it all together. The first guy was having difficulty coordinating the whole brake, turn, handbrake throttle procedure right. Still, at each course he was coming to grips and improving each time. After 4 courses, I had to leave him and go out and compete myself. As I came off my first course I saw him out on the other course and was amazed. It all finally clicked on the last one I did with him and he was driving brilliantly. I have never seen anyone improve as quickly as he did. A few weeks later he competed in a wet hill climb. And won! I was really pleased for him.

The second bloke was impoving as well, if not at quite the same rate of improvement. At a later event I saw him driving well. Then today I jumped in the car. In 12 months the difference was night and day compared to 12 months ago. Beautiful turns, great handbrake turns and power down. Sensational and once again I was delighted for him.

I also spent some of this morning with another driver competing for the first time. She was very nervous on her first run, but as all we were doing was for her to get out there, it was fine. Over the next three runs, she improved noticeably and I have no doubt she will be a good driver too.

Irrespective of whether it’s motorsport or off roading, it seems it’s all about unlocking the talents people have by building confidence and making them feel comfortable. Now while there are people out there who just aren’t suitable for driving, many people have talent they don’t realise they have. I was fortunate to be able to teach myself, and others have as well, but for others who have the talent if you don’t get some help accessing it you’ll never fulfill your potential. Never get to places that would be so good to see and enjoy.

I understand exactly what your talking about Rally.

A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a Red Balloon Gift Card for the Subaru WRX Rally Car Driving Experience at the Willowbank complex out near Ipswich.
It was to be my first ever ride in and drive of a Turbo'd car of any make. The first 2 laps were sedate at best, by the 6th and final lap I was really getting the hang of the power off - brake - power on - handbrake etc. and damn, it was over. :cry: :cry:

The Instructor then did a hot lap with me in the Navi seat and boy that was a real hoot, the more I laughed the harder he seemed to throw it around

(in my mind), when I got out I was really on high and there was no way of wiping the grin off my face. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I would love to do it again, only the couple of years in between bouts would put me back to square one I'm afraid. :sad:

[MENTION=44]Rally[/MENTION]

I say well done to some one who helps other to understand Driving dynamics and is proud of his achievements :thumbsup:

perhaps I need a bit of driver training .

Today I was travelling west towards brighton and it was very wet (after a long dry spell) and some guy was giving it the big one behind in an rs focus .

Turning on to the very tight dual lane ring road in Newhaven I didn't turn as smoothly as I could have and the arse stepped out a lot further than I would have liked leaving my bottom twitching like a rabbits nose.

Luckily the car looked after me and was rescued just about because I kept my foot in .
Must have looked amazing from behind but left me feeling like a bit of an idiot .

[MENTION=16444]Lockheed[/MENTION] Would've looked great! Let's pretend you did it on purpose ;-)

I had an incident a few years ago turning on to a motorway on-ramp in the wet where I was being annoyed by a tailgater. I really pushed it hard into the turn and the tailgater didn't back off - last I saw of that car it was doing a 360 on the motorway ramp! My kids & I thought it was hilarious :) AWD has it's advantages!

[MENTION=114]Kevin[/MENTION] I don't think you understand.

I nearly kerbed my wheels again . I was very shaken:iconwink:

But im glad you came off the better and that's Karma .

Back