Essentials

aau.sized.jpg

A small dustpan and broom is handy for sweeping out the tent and clearing dust away from door sills, around the rear door etc. You can see the light blue brush on the right hand side.

I always take a doormatt for the tent.
Got a small pup tent which means you need to crawl out. Much nicer to crawl onto a rubber matt than dirt!

Speaking of doormats - and firewood - you can see in my pic that the load cover thing is bulging up: the top layers consist of a folding picnic table, on top of that is a hessian bag with firewood, then a couple of squares of interlockable foam doormat things to protect stuff from the firewood.

I aways bring these no matter what:

-backpacking machete
-100' 550 cord
-Compass
-Toilet paper
-Cig lighter
-Handgun
-Flashlight (go USA!)
-multi tool knife

And of course the stuff that's normally in the car.
I tend to do more Ultra-light weight backpacking though.

My jacking plate is rectangular with rounded corners and sized to fit inside the rim of my spare wheel. It is made of 1/2" thick slices of 2" x 2" end grain balsa with a piece of aluminum sheet araldited to either side. I had to make a heap up years ago as an apprentice for flooring in aircraft. Surprisingly strong as all the load is in compression and very light. Remember every kilo you cart around will increase your fuel consumption and reduce your useful load for more impotrant stuff.

I forgot another essential. Packets of Delta Cream biscuits on the drive out there, and lamingtons for snacks once you get there. One needs to be civilised out there at all times, you realise!

I aways bring these no matter what:

-backpacking machete
-100' 550 cord
-Compass
-Toilet paper
-Cig lighter
-Handgun
-Flashlight (go USA!)
-multi tool knife

And of course the stuff that's normally in the car.
I tend to do more Ultra-light weight backpacking though.

We think along the same lines, Ultra-light camping. Great list!!! +1 on the Handgun and TP. :ebiggrin:

My jacking plate is rectangular with rounded corners and sized to fit inside the rim of my spare wheel. It is made of 1/2" thick slices of 2" x 2" end grain balsa with a piece of aluminum sheet araldited to either side. I had to make a heap up years ago as an apprentice for flooring in aircraft. Surprisingly strong as all the load is in compression and very light. Remember every kilo you cart around will increase your fuel consumption and reduce your useful load for more impotrant stuff.

Thanks for the idea. My new weekend project. Aluminum is "suprisingly strong" and I love MPG's.

Gidday Eden & All

yeah i thought so. i got it from this site https://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page1.php
these guys sell some great stuff at good prices. they always have sales :woohoo:

Couldn't agree more. They could use a good accountant to do their paperwork (that's the retired CPA in me talking ... ), but I just bought my trailer tent and sun room from them at a good price.

Only charged me $260 to freight it from the North Parramatta store to me in Melbourne (using Toll).

Lovely people to deal with.

Good stuff in this thread. I downloaded and saved the KTC checklists well over a year ago ... :biggrin:.

What about ty-raps, together with ductape, never leave home without them!

But serious, we have plans to go to Marocco this year, it's gonna be my first experience with africa. The trip is for 2 weeks and 2500km mostly offroad(including soft sand desert driving) , plus 1 week to get there from Holland and back which is 5000km extra highway driving. I gonna travel with several other 4x4s, but will be the only subaru. Subaru is not sold in Marocco. Which spareparts do i have to take with me?
thinking about:

Radiator hoses
1 Complete Front axle. or cv boots? (One of my biggest worries)
several bolts/nuts specific for subaru
Extra airfilter and fuel filter
Belts
altenator?

Too much? or do i forget something?

and of course the standard stuff as oil etc

Gidday Casper

Does your car use any oil at all between changes? My '93 Impreza with 230+K Kms on it used none in about 4,500 kms going to Brisbane and back. Ambient temperatures mainly in the high 30s to mid 40s (C). It didn't use any water either.

A CV joint will go a very long way after the boot is ripped. Some duct tape will let it go even further, if you get it early enough! Apart from misuse, I have not heard of a CV breaking in use. It is one of the huge benefits over universal joints.

If you need anything serious, you will have to freight it to wherever you are. You simply cannot take all the potentially needed spares with you, unless you have a LC full of them following you around. You will be travelling with others. If something critical fails, then one of them can tow you to the nearest place that can do the necessary repairs. Make sure you have a proper tow strap in your kit as well as your snatch gear ...

Hope this helps.

Casper, I usually carry a couple of stretch boots a cone to install them and some extra grease + a couple meters of hose clamp material and clamps, takes up much less room than a complete cv. That said I could probably change a whole drive shaft in less time than it would take me to change a boot, and they don't really take up much space in the roof rack. Then you can fix it at camp out from under the car much easier

If you do carry extra drive shafts buy a couple extra roll pins and castle nuts from a dealer.

Just back from my trip to Morocco. I had no issues at all. But I always carry 2 old belts and some engine sensors taken from the wreckers as they are light and don't take much space. And Inch'Allah…!

Yep thinking about the weight a spare front axle would be a bit too much. The travel organisation want's everybody to take a fullsize sparetyre with us, which i understand. Because of the LPG tank in the trunk there is no room for the spare, and because of the rooftent there is no place on the roof either. So next on the todo list is to build a sparetyre carrier at the back. Pitty that there is no lpg in Marocco :raz:

vincent, which sensors did you take with you?

I have 1 timing belt sensor (crank pulley), 2 temperature sensors and 1 odometer sensor.

Back