Replacment shocks. what did you get

eden

bush bash'n ranga
well it seems everything is going at once:madred: i now need new shocks as well as a gearbox. so what have you guys used (brands and type) and from where? i think i recall Carlo getting replacments from someone in penrith?? is that right mate or am i imagining things:confused: anyway let me know, any info will be good especially those with outbacks 98-03

I got all of my suspension done at Wholesale Suspension at Penrith.

The springs were 30mm raised King Springs (190 pounds) all round.
I also put KYB Struts in at the same time. (4x)
I had to change the struts due to the self leveling (rear).

I was & still am very pleased with them & have never looked back.
Wholesale Suspension was recommended to me by Kevin (thanks mate) & I would also highly recommend them to anyone that wants & / or needs any work done.

Regards
Mr Turbo

so you got standard struts on the rear? do you by chance have the number for those guys

Not quite sure if they are standard or not, but I will find out for you.

All I know is that I had to do away with the self leveling struts in the rear due to springs being raised.

Wholesale Suspension at Penrith.
Ph (02) 4721 2112

Regards
Mr Turbo

I had mine done with Wholesale Suspension at Blacktown.

Wholesale Suspension Blacktown 1/47 Third ave Blacktown,
NSW 2148

(02) 9831 8825

blacktownmap2d0a8dazh5.jpg

I needed to replace my self levellers as one had failed. I went with the KYB Excel-G gas replacement struts. Love them. I'll put the same on the front when the time comes.

Don't go with the Boge's if they offer them. They will say that they are cheaper. They are, and they get a kick back for selling them also. They are virtually identical to the KYB's, but I've heard some poor stories and recommendations. Stick with the KYB's.

I had STANDARD HEIGHT HD King Springs installed in lieu of raised. If you look in the King Spring online catalogue, they'll say that they don't exist but they now do. Best thing is to ring and find out.

Eden, as you have the 50mm body lift, you could go the 30mm raised springs and get a little more lift :lildevil:

Yep, stick with the KYB Excel-G and Kings. It's all good.

Just had the rear struts on my '03 Forrie replaced with KYB Excel-G (I've just got to the 100,000km mark). They seem nice, I wouldn't mind them being firmer, but they are much better than what the Forries struts were when they were new! I remember when i test drove and bought the Forrie, and wishing the struts had firmer valving, way back then. I've got the old Suba-xtreme heavy duty springs, standard height - still going well, no sagging yet, and they have had a hard time, done about 70,000km on those, a lot of that loaded pretty well.

I probably need to replace the front as well, and I'll go the same. I was going to get Bilsteins on th eback, but they don't have a model for the '03 - they suspension guy said he could put them on, but would have to modify the way the brake hose is attached, which he preferred not to have to do.

...keep the self-levelling suspension.

I have read that comment many times, but I have yet to read a rational explaination as to why. Can anyone provide one?

Ask Subaru. They discontinued self-levelling suspension in 2002 with the MY03 2.5, or ask anyone else who has had one fail.

My late 03 OB has self-levelling suspension and I've had no trouble with it. I like the way it stays, um, level even when loaded up to the gunnels, as this pic shows (somewhere near Curdimurkah on the Oodnadatta Track). So what are my options if I want to keep the SLS?

aas.sized.jpg

Ask Subaru. They discontinued self-levelling suspension in 2002 with the MY03 2.5, or ask anyone else who has had one fail.

Subaru did not discontinue them - I have them on my MY06 Forester - and they have been trouble-free so far.

As for asking someone who has had them fail - I don't know anybody who has, and no-one here has spoken up yet.

On what basis do you justify recommending to replace something which isn't broken?

All I want is some facts. If you have some, then don't beat about the bush, put them on the table.

I was under the impression or 2005XT has them.
Why knock something without any explanation so others can understand or judge it?

(insert smiley with pockets full of wee here)

No, not looking for an argument. I am having a frustrating week trying to work with someone who wants me to do some things a particular way - such that it is causing other difficulties. Some of his requests look to me to be on fairly shaky ground, and when I challenge him he refuses to talk to me. We are both very good at what we do, and I can be a bit, no, make that a lot, stubborn when I can put facts on the table. I think he has rarely experienced anyone who is prepared to challenge his supremacy, so he and I are a bad mix.

Last edited:
Back