• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Rivian R1T / R1S perfect electric offroader?

scalman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2006 3.0R 5EAT Sportshift VDC/VTD LPG
Transmission
5eat Sportshift
2018_11_A.-Rivian_R1S_Front.jpg

Rivian-1-1.png

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI52EMdXDGs"]2019 Rivian R1T and R1S Reveal in 12 minutes - YouTube[/ame]

how it goes and where
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CZf4IVsgLg"]2020 Rivian R1T - Interior, Exterior & Driving - YouTube[/ame]

it looks like its made for adventures , off roading because it is. and from what guy says in video it sounds perfect.

9d27743f-feb2-41b5-b54b-54ce2e6e8d29.jpeg

Rivian-R1S-1620247.jpg

wow 1m water fording , 200 to 365mm ground clearance with mind blowing torque sounds like it would go in any off road track with right tires.

I think we just used to how all those petrol cars look similar and how they should be made with engine in front mostly and all body details that are made for petrol or diesel engines and electric dont need any of that it be its own thing more practical for use all space that you can the better. And i allways looked at tesla x and thought that not bad and look like other suv's but how about more robust more adventures veahicle, and i think that would be good answer. I just become more open to looks i guess and this at first looked wierd now looks kinda cool.
And if this will suceed others will follow and for lower prices , so we need that too.
But im sure i liked how they used all space to put something here and there. Fridge in frunk and even air compressor inside allready. They like rly thinking of all those mods that ppl do for overland cars and saying Hey we allready have that for you so you just enjoy the ride.

Who makes it and where is it made?

American, which explains the design.

First time I hear about this. Amazing on paper, but who knows what will happen...it is so hard to start up a car business; just look at all the Tesla problems.

Finally, someone decided to put a motor on each wheel!

This will surely make the Toyota Land Cruiser/Prado platform vehicles, including mine, look like steam-powered engines!

If it ever gets produced, the first two model years should be a bargain around 2025 as electric vehicles continue to depreciate horribly here--and this one is a luxury vehicle at that. And if they are not falling a part...

Generally, I really want an electric vehicle at home, at least the second one, but our problem here is the extreme heat which greatly reduces the lifespan of batteries. Plus, the Tribeca should last another decade, ha!

It's a very large vehicle, almost in the class of a Hummer. The long wheelbase would make for a poor ramp over angle and the width would keep it off any narrow trails.

I would also be interested to know how the in-wheel electric motors impacts on unsprung weight and therefore suspension response.

I think electric drive is the way things are heading for all vehicles but fluid drive is another interesting option. (https://www.lordsthelabel.com/ferox-azaris-advanced-off-road-vehicle/)

It's a very large vehicle, almost in the class of a Hummer. The long wheelbase would make for a poor ramp over angle and the width would keep it off any narrow trails.

I would also be interested to know how the in-wheel electric motors impacts on unsprung weight and therefore suspension response.

I think electric drive is the way things are heading for all vehicles but fluid drive is another interesting option. (https://www.lordsthelabel.com/ferox-azaris-advanced-off-road-vehicle/)

Hmm...the truck or the SUV? The SUV is just fine. It will get everywhere but ultra-narrow trails not suitable for any 4dr. The wheelbase of the new Wrangler is only a couple inches shorter than this one's yet they found a way to improve the steering so as to have no issues on tight trails. And, yes, they have not had any issues (with that!).

Rivian claim an unbelievable 30 degree brake-over angle, but it makes sense if it comes with an adjustable suspension. Consider that most are around 20, except 2drs, with Land Rover alone being substantially better than 20.

What I worry about is that it is a start up company. And it just sounds a little bit too good to be true. I mean, a new loaded Rubicon Unlimited is easily 60,000. A Land Cruiser, far less capable than what this promises to be, is 90,000. A base model Land Rover Discovery, also not comparable to Rubicon or this model, is 70,000. Tesla cannot build a basic Model 3 for 35,000 (apparently the so-called 35,000 model costs them 38,000 to produce) yet. So maybe the 70k easily becomes 100k for the SUV.

EDIT: in terms of running costs, it should be about 5 times cheaper to charge than my 4Runner is to fuel. No oil changes, no differential and transfer case to worry about. But if the battery craps on you after like 7-8 years...I imagine it will be a 15-20,000 expense....This is by far the one big issue with electrics today.

Last edited:
that SUV platform look rly big and with both rear seats folded im sure you could just sleep there instead tent.
R1SInterior_1543514369303-HR.jpg

looks strong too, it was made with adventure in mind not city shoping for sure
Riviansskateboardp_1543514422208-HR.jpg

i think good thing for them is that they just bought working Mitsubishi factory and just remade it to fit their needs, didint needed to build they own factory . thats more easy to start building cars.

rivian-skateboard-1024x217.png

Looks like the motors aren't in the wheel, but located where the diff would be on a conventional transmission. I was wondering about that

I noticed the motor location as well. In-wheel electric motors aren't practical because of the effect on unsprung weight. It looks like it has a motor for each wheel which would eliminate the need for diffs (sorry Rally).

yes motoros not in wheels , similar to what other electrics using now. but to go that deep into water water a ll that must be pretty good sealed , so i wonder how they did that because that water line is really higher then wheels even and doors must be good sealed as well. but if you can do that then its pretty safe doing anything off road with electric car.
5tons towing ? wow

cAa7E1Bl.jpg

thats how much modules you can have on R1T pickup
Rivian-Modules-7-Rivianforums.jpg

Rivian_patent-module-bed-configuration-1.jpg

Electric motor torque plus extremely low centre of gravity makes this very ideal.

The thing is that newer companies tend to operate like startups and they always get that new business hurdle and that's why they get their QC issues all the time like Tesla, for example. We sure hope that the company becomes sustainable so that we, as consumers, can benefit with the improvement over the years.

shame that other companys not making more offroady cars, i thought Tesla will make some more offroady SUV this time but model Y its just as small as model 3. they making pickup truck too so maybe that one will be more offroad oriented.

At the moment, Subaru and Mitsubishi have PHEVs that can go off road better than most as they have addressed the water fording/wading issues that comes with EVs.

Nissan though, already has their 2nd chassis on their Leaf EVs and they are doing much better than any other manufacturer in terms of reliability. They are even reliable even as 2nd hand vehicles here in NZ. They sell extremely well because of their reliability. We met our EV population 2 years in advance because of the Leaf EVs. Who knows, they may just translate their technology into trucks or SUVs and they can be very good options.

By the way, I remember seeing a lifted Leaf that the owner uses as a battlecar for light off-roading. He named it Nissan Beaf. :thumbsup:

Until they can get the range well over 500Km per 'fill' Electric vehicles won't make a dent in rural Australia.

If you were serious about going bush, you'd want to be pushing up to 1,000km range to consider an EV.

Until youll get solar panels powerfull enough to charge your car in day or 2 . i would be ok with . go camping 2 days just relaxing then cars battery full again free fuel.

I agree with you all as well. At the moment we are still using Li-ion tech and use the same battery range extension principles as when we use our laptops/phones. We need a new technology

Toyota is due to release a battery tech in 2020 and hopefully that materialises. Subaru may benefit to that as well.

Back