Subaru Could Issue Massive Recall

My MY14 Outback has already got 2 recalls on it...how many more to come? :shake:

And a recall for free replacement of leaking head gaskets on the EJ25x engines wouldn't hurt ...

And a recall for free replacement of leaking head gaskets on the EJ25x engines wouldn't hurt ...

And how far back this recall would be?

Back to 2004/2005 or even earlier would be excellent - I feel leaking head gaskets is an ongoing design issue of Subaru engines for so long ...

And how far back this recall would be?

Back to 2004/2005 or even earlier would be excellent - I feel leaking head gaskets is an ongoing design issue of Subaru engines for so long ...

Can't go past the old 2003 SG Forester's can you Kevin. :iconwink: :iconwink: :biggrin:

I think recalls will be much more common especially for modern cars. Newer cars have more parts installed, and therefore, more points of failure. Also, the turnaround from designing to production is as quick as 18-months due to software and automation.

Cars, nowadays, for me, are marketed as mainstream consumer products, wherein they just listen to whatever the customers want. If customers want hardcore smart devices connectivity, manufacturers tend to focus on those and tend to leave mechanical issues behind. They bank on consumers changing cars like they do with their smartphones. Think about how @temmah was contacted regarding trading-in his SJ.

Regarding the article, the points are still rumours. I will be waiting for an official one from Subaru. I am assuming it's to do with the FB engines.

I sort of had a tiny thought my call from the dealer could have been about a recall of something and trying to offset the loss.

I am just thinking, if they're to do with the EJs, there should have been a huge precursor before any recall or maybe they have different data in their labs.

I am not sure, though, if this is to do with the recent turbo FBs' engine failures because that one has precursors and a pending class-action suit. I can only imagine how tedious it will be to do such replacements.

With the SH FB engine NA ours has already been rebuilt under warranty but I know two people who have excessive oil use and Subaru Aust denied their claims :(

MY 03 SG`s are good......
360000 kms and still going well with original gaskets and motor.
Couple of Simpsons and a Cape York under its tyres with more to come.
Can`t complain at all.

Similar with my SH which has the NA EJ253. 165,000Km and no engine issues at all. I've given it a hard time from new and it doesn't use oil and still goes well. Hopefully it stays that way.

My 2005 MY06 NA Forester had head gasket replaced few years back and is again leaking oil. My MY14 diesel outback had oil leak and repaired under extended warrenty few months back.

I feel the overall quality of the outback has dropped (from the forester). Had both the gas struts of the boot replaced 6 months from brand new beacuse the original pairs couldnt hold the weight of the boot cover, front drive shafts replaced few months back followed by the lower sump oil leak!

Back