OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Recommended Destinations

Notices

Unread 3rd March 2019, 05:17 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default Glasshouse Mountains Queensland

I have joined a group on Facebook that does day trips around the Brisbane area. A couple of them in diesel SH Foresters did a short session at the Glasshouse Mountains last weekend. I thought you might enjoy watching.
Unread 4th March 2019, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

Some very interesting challenges there for sure! I was holding my breath at times hoping for no damage!

Good to see the traction control doing its job.
www.subaruclub.com.au
Unread 4th March 2019, 02:29 PM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

They did very well knowing that they don't have low range. The torque of the diesel is very helpful there.
Unread 4th March 2019, 04:34 PM
Forum Member

Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Thanks!

Some very interesting challenges there for sure! I was holding my breath at times hoping for no damage!

Good to see the traction control doing its job.
They invited me to go along with them but I've had some clunking noises in the front end that sounds like the rear bushes on the front control arms have seen better days so I piked out and now I'm glad I did. I can imagine getting my car wedged up against the side of the deep clay cutting and having to walk away and leave it there.

I was surprised that the VDC didn't work as well as I expected in the spot where the silver SH had the right front wheel and the left rear wheel off the ground. Normally, when off road in an SH, the driver would have the traction control switched off which leaves the VDC to operate without engine power being reduced to control wheelspin, and this certainly seemed to be the case but it looked as though there was no VDC and it just had open diffs like an SG.
Unread 4th March 2019, 04:43 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
They did very well knowing that they don't have low range. The torque of the diesel is very helpful there.
They encountered the big issue that faces diesel Forester drivers, how much can you feather the clutch without doing any damage. I think they exceeded that limit in the black car as the driver commented that the burnt clutch smell stayed in the car for 2 days afterwards.

What I found interesting was the fact that they left their tyres at road pressure. The terrain is all clay and we have had just enough light rain over the last week or so to make a little bit of mud and leave the surface damp, particularly in the rainforest gullies where they negotiated the rutted out, narrow cuttings. I would have expected far less traction than they experienced.

The upside of this is that they needed every last millimetre of clearance and reducing pressure would likely have resulted in some undercarriage contact with the centre hump in those places where they had no option but to drive in the wheel tracks of others.
Unread 4th March 2019, 05:00 PM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Did they have the swaybars disconnected ? Doesn't seem to but I don't know what an SH looks like when they are disconnected !
Unread 4th March 2019, 09:39 PM
Forum Member

Sway bars were connected.

Both vehicles have a 50mm lift and bigger tyres. The black one is using BRZ rims with 245/60/17 mud tyres plus a 30mm spacer and the silver one has BFG KO2 but don't know the size. Apart from that they are both stock standard. The silver one might have a bash plate - not sure.
Unread 6th March 2019, 04:39 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
I was surprised that the VDC didn't work as well as I expected in the spot where the silver SH had the right front wheel and the left rear wheel off the ground. Normally, when off road in an SH, the driver would have the traction control switched off which leaves the VDC to operate without engine power being reduced to control wheelspin, and this certainly seemed to be the case but it looked as though there was no VDC and it just had open diffs like an SG.

I was thinking about that, as well. The silver one behaved like my SG when the one of the front wheels was off ground.
Unread 13th March 2019, 12:45 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2016
Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Subaru Man is on a distinguished road

That is a challenging track. I would be concerned about vehicle damage but they looked as though they stayed in one piece.

Anyone know if this is typical of the tracks at Glass House Moutains or is this one of the more difficult?
Unread 13th March 2019, 02:37 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

allways wondered about those newer diesels foresters and outbacks, not much videos with then lifted or such , it should have much better torque at low rpm there and with manual thats all you could need at slow speeds diesel should be better is it ? VDC its tricky to make it work well , like if you d oactions to not get stuck on open diff you need do almost opposite actions with VDC because it needs you keep pedal to metal to tell it you want go forward. VDC dont work well if you drive carefully and release gas pedal. and VDC no good at climbing hardcore hills. its just cuts too much power away.
would be cool to take diesel engine and dual range gearbox , that would be interesting project if they fit each other. shame that music too loud there. if im not mistaken i heard how diesel rumble ?? was i ?