Batteries and stuff

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Holy crap Batman ... 1400 CCA's for a mere $329.00, I paid $450.00 for an Optima Red Top and it was 800 CCA's.

Last edited by a moderator:
How's the Optima?...I've not heard much good stuff about them.
It's a great price for an AGM battery alright....I am going to go for at least 2 x batteries of at least 100amps with the idea being that if one fails I will still be able to function.

I paid about the same (a little less actually) for my yellow top & that was about 4 1/2 years ago.

Regards
Mr Turbo

How's the Optima?...I've not heard much good stuff about them.
It's a great price for an AGM battery alright....I am going to go for at least 2 x batteries of at least 100amps with the idea being that if one fails I will still be able to function.

The Red Top lasted 9 years.

I didn't replace it with another one as production of the batteries was moved to Mexico and the quality also went south with production.

:sad: :sad: really as it was a bloody good battery and never let me down over the 9 years, my 2003 Forester was beginning to take 2 or 3 attempts to get it started instead of the standard 1 and that made me have it tested under load, it was failing.

I like the sound of those Bull Batteries but will wait for some user feedback on reliability and do some research on them before I even think about buying one though.

Edit: A super quick Google for the maker of Bull Batteries pointed me to here ... Bull Batteries.

Edit #2: Surprise! Surprise! Alco also make Trojan Batteries which are the most popular battery used in Electric Golf Carts. I have these batteries (6v Wet Cell) in my Golf Cart and the previous owner also had them in the golf cart too.

Last edited:
2 of these buggers would give me a nice supply for a few days that's for sure. Probably a bit heavy for me though. I'm HOPING to mount my 2 batteries in a compartment under the tray to keep the weight down low. I don't think it will be that hard to have something good and strong mounted under the tray. Probably a bit hard to get to, but that will be the trade off. I will need every bit of space that I can wrangle for the longer trips.
I've been doing a bit of searching and reckon I can get a good used tray for around $1,000. Sides will not be important but length has to be 2.1mtrs or a touch more. I will also add a trundle draw for carrying recovery gear etc.

Back