Maximum legal lift and tyre/wheel sizes in Oz

WA being WA i'm sure the limit is a 300mm increase :p.

This is an old post but 50mm is the legal limit in WA. Anything more than that has to pass a lane change test and be looked at by an engineer, the Department of Transport site does not make this clear.

The other option is a increase of 50mm on your tyres and with that you are allowed a 1 inch lift

Or I could be completely wrong. :rotfl:

Edit: Didn't see all the recent comments

[MENTION=15623]Ben Up North[/MENTION]
Hi Ben,

The National Code of Practice for Vehicle Modification applies to suspension lifts. It says "Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension travel in the direction of the ride height change" requires certification. (https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/document...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf). This is from a NSW Gov source but its a national code so it still applies.

[MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] can you do a strut lift for an SVX? 2inches would be good, I reckon I can get 215/65/16s on it and still be just about legal and I'm pretty sure that in QLD any vehicle can have up to 50mm suspension lift.

Mad I know, but it could make an awesome 2 person tourer if I dragged a trailer behind it. not sure how to fit a snorkel though. :bananapartyhat:

[MENTION=15623]Ben Up North[/MENTION]
Hi Ben,

The National Code of Practice for Vehicle Modification applies to suspension lifts. It says "Altering vehicle ride height by more than one third of the manufacturer’s suspension travel in the direction of the ride height change" requires certification. (https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/document...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf). This is from a NSW Gov source but its a national code so it still applies.

Yep. Have read the national standards a lot. that's why I state almost legal.
To be honest, I'm going to try and be completely legal on the SVX. Have found a reputable engineer that has built a wide range of vehicles, including a rather natty HQ Ute on a Landcruiser chassis. I'll be discussing this project in detail with him after I get the beastie on the road (which I'm still hoping might be by christmas).
DesetRunner's SVX has a 2" Lift, 225/70/16s and it's road legal, so it can be done.
Unless it doesn't need to be (ha!) everything I do lift wise will be certified on this vehicle, too rare a car to bodge it.
I can see this project being about 10 times the cost of the car by the time it's finished. which is still prety cheap in the scheme of things. There's ano old saying or two about boats: Going sailing is like standing under a cold shower tearing up $20 bills and a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw $100 bills. I've got the feeling the SVX will be a similar experience. :biggrin:

All my respect to Kevin in choosing to move my comments to this thread but in doing so, has changed the context. The thread we are now in is about lifts for Foresters (MC classification) whereas the SVX is MA so the comment I made and the legislation I quoted is relevant for the SVX and was not intended to be applied to an MC classified vehicle.

Fair enough. I think this thread is a good spot for it, due principally to the title not being specific about classifications.
No where in the Regs that I've come across states the a maximum lift of 2" does not apply to MA category vehicles. A strut lift doesn't affect suspension travel at all (not sure if I'll be if I'll be putting strut blocks in, will wait on what the engineer says), so I'm not sure the 1/3 rule even applies in that particular case.
I also think that the 1/3 rule applies to all vehicles, regardless of classification, so it is relevant to this thread.
It would definitely apply if I went for something like Hotbits, or other longer travel suspension (I do like Matts sugestion of putting longer travel Subaru suspenison in it - the BG Outback has the longest I think I've read).
The engineer will tell me, I'm sure.:)

Don't be shy about giving Queensland Transport a call either. They were very helpful when I was trying to make a decision about my Forester lift. Keeping things legal has been my first priority.

Good luck with it.

They're definitely on my list. :)

Doesn't affect those with older lifted Subarus, only those with ESC (VDC).

Assuming, of course, that your lift is legal to start with. :question:

This is another foot-in-mouth action by the Queensland Labor Government and I wouldn't be surprised if it is reviewed very quickly. A petition with over 80,000 signatures is being sent to the relevant minister and when they see that there is so much opposition, they will realise they have made a mistake. The only thing that would change that is if NSW and VIC follow suit.

Under the new rules, a 50mm lift is still OK on Foresters with VDC as long as the standard sized tyres are fitted. As soon as tyre size is increased, it becomes illegal.

Yes it is absolutely ridiculous. It's a badly done law with no consultation with any motoring groups. It bans very safe lifts of more than 50mm (ESC) but no mention of slamming by 100mm!!! It's also a retroactive law, making what was totally legal & safe 2 weeks ago, now illegal.

There was apparently one poor guy who just picked up his new 4wd from the dealer, with a dealer fitted lift & bigger AT tyres, and he got defected.

There has already been a draft to ease the restrictions a little but I don't think that will be accepted by the motoring groups as it doesn't go anywhere near far enough

I expect a big fallout from this, it may even affect the next state election! Just think of how many 4wd owners there are in Qld!!

I have just finished sending messages to both my local member (Labor) and the leader of the LNP opposition. I'm sad to say that my SH is now illegal. The only options I have if nothing is changed is buy more new tyres with the same diameter as OEM or move back to NSW. Neither is a pleasant option.

At least I shouldn't have to remove my Subieliftoz lift kit.

We can all breathe a little easier today:

https://statements.qld.gov.au/State...stency-on-lift-laws-for-queensland-4wd-owners

Media Statements
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey
Thursday, September 20, 2018
Greater consistency on lift laws for Queensland 4WD owners

Queensland vehicle lift modification laws will change to be more consistent with other jurisdictions for 4WD motorists across the country after consultation with 4WD groups.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said he was pleased to announce the first major changes for Queensland’s 4WD lift laws since the Newman Government lift laws were introduced in 2012.

“Next month we will be changing sections of the Queensland Code of Practice, which governs vehicle lift rules,” Mr Bailey said.

“These changes, which follow consultation between my department and industry, will raise the maximum lift certifiable in Queensland from 125mm to 150mm.

“Importantly, this will make Queensland’s maximum lift, with certification, consistent with the National Code Practice and other states.

“For vehicles with Electronic Stability Control (ESC), vehicle owners will be able to raise their vehicles up to 75mm (incorporating a maximum of 50mm suspension and 25mm tyre increase) without certification.

“Queensland already allows such a lift for non-ESC equipped vehicles.

“The move to 75mm without certification, for ESC vehicles will ensure consistency with the rules in NSW and Victoria.”

Mr Bailey said Transport and Main Roads would continue to consult with industry on other aspects of the code, including how to best maintain ESC functionality.

“Our aim is to balance road safety with allowing 4WD enthusiasts the flexibility to manage their driving needs,” he said.

The final version of the new Queensland Code of Practice will be released in October.

For more information, contact Transport and Main Roads on 13 23 80.

ENDS

Yes. Just saw it on the news. Common sense at last.

You lucky ones. We cannot use any lift as spacers if they visiable but you could you longer struts as they wouldnt have spacers. Its crazy how stupid it goes but its how it is here. Mot day all patrols are stock next day become monsters and drive that way until next mot. I mean whats the point. Stupid system.

That happened faster than I thought it would. I knew they were going to ease up on the changes a bit but they seemed to have gone the other way & increased the limit for non ESC vehicles

What is going on with these guys lol, thats not a backflip it's a total yoyo!

I hope everyone who has had their 4wd impounded or defected sues the crap out of the government.
Plus all the 4wd aftermarlet companies! I've had some people not fit their kit or hold off on buying one but it hasn't hit me as hard as most

Mot day all patrols are stock next day become monsters and drive that way until next mot.

Haha it's a bit the same here in some states lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

201606_1131_idaif.png

xD

Back