Unread 12th August 2018, 03:33 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road
Default Meryla State Forest

Meryla State Forest 10-12th August 2018

We had another enjoyable weekend away in the NSW southern highlands. Somehow we always seem to find somewhere new to go to. This time it was a different campsite, which apart from having to deal with some yobbos from Bogan City and their utes, guns and willingness to cut down trees, was fantastic. And, Alex joined us on the Saturday morning in his newly acquired SH XT auto, complete with brand new coilovers and KO2's.

We actually didn't do that much off roading. The 2 Daves brought their Landcruiser and Pajero. This was the first time out for the Pajero, and it got a thorough going over!

I nearly got stuck for the first time ever with the diff locker, this time in deep mud and water. I had already gone through this mud hole on the way through, but there was a big drop off and when I came back the other way, it was the body of the car or the bullbar hitting rock. I had fallen into an oversized bathtub, with sheer drops at each end. However, after a few attempts I managed to climb up the side of this bathtub. In doing so I really did a diagonal climb, which showed the true worth of the locker diff. When I get the video I will post it up.

We then went and re-did the first climb we did to test the locker. I made it up first go, easily, Here is the video of this climb from a few months ago. I am showing this in order to compare the difference between my SG on RE002's with centre and rear lockers, and when Alex attempted the same climb in his SH on KO002's.
Unread 12th August 2018, 03:41 AM
Forum Member

The SH XT on the same climb. It was interesting how the auto just sat there, and the traction control I understand the SH has cannot cope with the terrain. It's a fascinating comparison between auto and manual, traction control vs diff lock, road tyre vs off road tyre. The difference in ground clearance between the 2 cars is about 10mm, measured at the rear. Alex does eventually get up, and this is shown on the video in the next post.

https://youtu.be/tmU6_Jf_76g
Unread 12th August 2018, 03:47 AM
Forum Member

With more speed and determination, Alex prevails! Have to admire the determination. And great driving, even more so not to damage his sump- no sump guard. https://youtu.be/u3QHLRhTlWM
Unread 12th August 2018, 04:03 AM
Forum Member

Unread 12th August 2018, 04:09 AM
Forum Member

Apologies to everyone who has seen this video before, but I said to Alex I would post this video up. Alex discovered first hand just how slippery the surface was. Thankfully he was only a bit sore- his CB radio came off far worse!
Unread 12th August 2018, 06:24 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Interesting comparison between the modified SG and the stock SH. Traction control is not the problem as it should have been, and looks like it was, switched off on the SH. VDC is the system that distributes torque to the wheels with traction and it operates with or without traction control.

The comparison certainly indicates that momentum plays a big role as the SG had more of it in comparison with the first attempt by the SH. I would be interested in comments by the driver of the SH to see whether he followed the recommended procedure in such conditions of keeping the right foot down, resisting the natural urge to back off when the front wheels lose traction and wait for the VDC to work the way it is intended.
Unread 12th August 2018, 06:42 AM
Forum Member

When I did the run yesterday, I went slower than on the video. In fact, I nearly stalled it because I wanted to go as slowly as possible and went so slow I had to engage the clutch briefly to blip the throttle. It’s much steeper than the video makes out.
Unread 12th August 2018, 08:25 AM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Nice comparison videos but why is the image so small/narrow ?

By the looks, his new coilovers don't have much travel as he lifts wheels all the time, sure that doesn't help for traction.
Unread 12th August 2018, 08:31 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2014
Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
November is on a distinguished road

Rally, what bumper is on the front of your Forester?
Unread 12th August 2018, 08:34 AM
Forum Member

I don’t know why the image is as it is. Maybe there is more to using an iPhone 7 than I am aware of. I would have thought vdc would have overcome unweighted wheels.