• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Any opinion on BFG KO2?

Well they look cool and they as hardcore for AT tire as it can go. They heavy too. But you can go half bar with them no prob.

Yeah don't want to go too low on those street tires I have, pretty cheap, don't even trust them with air in them lol
Any opinion on the bfg ko2s??

Well, I'd say no to KO2s in any non-H6 or non-turbo Subaru. I had them on my H6 5 EAT Outback and even though performance was not an issue, the tires were too harsh on pavement for daily use. They were an excellent trip tire though.

The only reason to get the KO2 would be the 3-ply sidewall in LT-D. But there are many issues with running them on a light vehicle. I could run them on my 4R if I feel I need to go back to 3-ply sidewalls but I really hope that won't be necessary because they really are meant for full size pickups (and E load for super duty).

An excellent tire for a Subaru is Continental Terrain Contact AT, which was my last DD tire on the Outback. It was like a very good street tire on road while providing excellent grip on dirt. It is NOT for rocks, but realistically how many rocks will the XV see? It COULD be an issue if running trails that have lots of sharp, small rocks, like many around here in Central AZ.

Stronger P-metric ATs include Wildpeak AT3W, which is what I run on the 4R, General ATX, and Goodyear Ultraterrain, all of which get you the SNOW rating so important in California. They give you plenty of strength but the KO2 in LTD and LTE (NOT LTC) is the only AT with 3ply sidewall.

The advantage of having the KO2 is not worrying about punctures and thus the spare tire issue.

DO NOT air down P-metric tires without a good reason like sand. Elsewhere just stick to the door placard pressures when running P-metric ATs. I have been ok at 28 psi also. I violated my own rule last weekend promptly tearing a sidewall bead to shoulder: I had to abort the trip.

CONVERSELY, if you get LT-D KO2s you will HAVE to air down even for the mildest dirt road-the ride is otherwise absolutely unbearable.

On 4x4 trails, the KO2 were quite worthless with the limitations of Subaru AWD until aired down to 20. At 28, it was just spinning and spinning and spinning.

Finally, RUN AWAY from Geolander ATS. The last of these are still being offered as new tires. Awful tires on road. The replacement, Geolander GO15 is much improved, but still seems to have some of the two problems of the old model: poor grip in corners and poor braking performance.

EDIT: also, if CVT will be a concern, stay with stock size tires. Subaru can easily deny any warranty claim if you are ever on record with oversize tires. That's my understanding anyway.

I actually bought the car from a Nissan dealer, and they are using a Ford warranty.... cause, you know... Ford lol. I expressed my concern about mods voiding the warranty or agitating a current problem (front end makes a click pop noise sometimes when turning the wheels hard left or right at slow speeds and they don't know what's causing it) they said if a lift breaks it then they'll be able to tell what's wrong and they'll fix it and they won't deny my warranty for having larger tires.... still, didn't get it in writing so incase they want to go back on their word I'll wait to have repair money on hand before lifting or adding tires.

Yeah I have no idea about that.

Just saying that SoA is very sensitive when it comes to tires and transmission issues.

Well, I'd say no to KO2s in any non-H6 or non-turbo Subaru. I had them on my H6 5 EAT Outback and even though performance was not an issue, the tires were too harsh on pavement for daily use.

Your experience with BFG KO2 is very different to mine with KO1. They've been great both on and off-road until a bit worn then become a little slippery in the wet.

How they harsh? I got nothing but pleasant drive with about 2.1 bar no more
On corners even if they softer they holds pretty good.
I drove with one wheel 1.8 bar for some time and didint even noticed nothing until i checked. Here they cost same as general grabbers so was no brainer to choose. But yes 1 tire can cost almost as middle normal 4x tires. They where too much for me to buy in cash so i payed in parts for 1 year for them still its best thing that i did to car yet.
Any tire you need to air down offroad if its harder and for long distance. For my couple hrs local forest fun im not even airing down. Someone said its bad on snow and yet im going into 40cm snow oacked and wet and im going trough it without problem. If stuck forward i can allways back up with them.
Sand they just goes, proven to famous australia overlanders who use them. Mud not as good as muds but bites very well . again air them down to even 0.6 bar and you will go over anything

[Finally, RUN AWAY from Geolander ATS. The last of these are still being offered as new tires. Awful tires on road. The replacement, Geolander GO15 is much improved, but still seems to have some of the two problems of the old model: poor grip in corners and poor braking performance.]

I am not sure about the previous Geolandars but I have had no issues re the GO15 at all. I have probably done 25,000km with them. I am only comparing them to stock (which never got good reviews) but they seem to be fine re grip and braking and certainly good enough for me to most likely get them again. They seemed to be similar to stock re noise and grip in the wet.

So my stock street tires need to go bye bye. Balding and cracking due to offroad use. Can't afford my ko2s, so what would be a good, reliable, affordable, temporary AT tire that will fit on my stock wheels (17"s if I remember correctly). Rubbing isn't really a concern, as long is it only rubs and doesn't try to grab the car when turning.

The original question was about BFG KO2s.

They are excellent tyres for rough rocky tracks or mud/clay or overlanding.
They don't have the same grip onroad as less aggressive tyres

For mostly onroad & beach driving, Yokohama Geolandar G015 and Toyo Open Country ATs are excellent. IMO these 2 are the best for onroad grip esp when wet, & light offroading & the beach

Kumho AT51 are a good in between tyre & also have a light truck (LT) version in some sizes

Other options are Bridgestone D697, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Coopers AT3, General Grabbers AT2, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus, Falken Wildpeak ATs, etc

I am OK with my G015s. On-road, they won't get the same traction as my old RV-01s, of course, but they handle pretty well even on wet surfaces. On loose surfaces, it's golden. It feels like having sticky glue all around the tread. At 18 to 20 psi, it still coasts the car on soft sand. 12 to 15 psi changes traction by a huge mark. I won't get the same longevity as the K0s or K02s, but I get really good fuel consumption. It's even better in fuel consumption than the very cheap HF201s that came with the SH 16s that I bought. Cheers.

BFGs are probably the most common off roading tyre up here, but there's a bit of variety.

depends what prices on what area that you live. here are about same prices for KO2, graber or cooper AT tires. wildpeaks would be some cheaper but they not R16 size here and weaker , not silent as well.
people who saw my tires when they where about new they thought i should sound loud after i gave them ride they where surprised how not noisy they where. now they used a lot so they maybe became more noisy in rear. not sure why in rear and maybe thats not tires but i cant tell what else. in front i cant hear any noise at all.

As for tires, it would be good to see sales numbers but I have not seen any. The KO2 is extremely popular but there are other very popular AT tires including the Cooper AT3, the Toyo Open Country AT II, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, and a number of others are fairly popular as well.

Among the MTs, the Toyo Open Country MT is very highly regarded and also the OEM tire on the new Jeep Gladiator UTE. The BFG KM2, which was OEM on Rubicons before the switch to KO2 is ubiquitous.

Finally, RUN AWAY from Geolander ATS. The last of these are still being offered as new tires. Awful tires on road. The replacement, Geolander GO15 is much improved, but still seems to have some of the two problems of the old model: poor grip in corners and poor braking performance.

I completely disagree with this statement, although I can’t stand up for all Geo a/t’s.... I can say this:
I’ve had GO15’s for 60,000ks (about 1.5years) and they are amazing on road, I can say with experience that they have amazing stopping performance as I would have hit many Roos in the past if they weren’t, and the grip in corners for an A/T Tyre surprised me, I drive very very spirited at times and have never lost traction due to the geo’s inability to handle hard cornering. And the Offroad capabilities are fantastic!
I would highly recommend GO15’s for anyone who wants a good on and Offroad blend but does manly on road driving as 80% of my experience with this Tyre is on road.

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back