VIDEO: Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail

Blue Fox

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XT - 2" Lift
Transmission
5MT Dual-Range
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw1nNdEVPf8"]Poughkeepsie Gulch Trail - Subaru Forester Off Road - YouTube[/ame]

This is the short version of the video, I'll post and extended one later on.

Well, one of the more difficult trails up in this area is Poughkeepsie Gultch. Very tough trail for my car. Steep includes and having to do extremely fancy footwork with the pedals to be as smooth as possible with the manual trans. The manual is fun, but I regret not sticking with the automatic. Manual is fun in sand dunes, but for this kind of terrain, the automatic is king. That being said, I need a new clutch now.

Altitude, the steep terrain, and not having low range just kills the poor car to the point where I really did properly torture the poor thing. Surprised I didn't snap an axle or blow the engine/transmission. Did a lot more drivetrain shock than I would have cared to do. But in the end, she came out strong, but sad I couldn't at least try out the "wall" on this trail.

I was traveling with my buddies, one in a purpose built $65,000 Jeep, and another with a $40,000 Supercharged TRD Tacoma with Baja suspension. They did the trail the following day after this video was shot, and they didn't even managed to get up the wall due to the snow/ice up there, but I would have at least liked to get to that point, but oh well. It got a LOT further than anyone (even me) was expecting.

poughkeepsiegulch001_zpse75f6754.jpg

poughkeepsiegulch002_zpsb22558e8.jpg

poughkeepsiegulch003_zps6bab6c80.jpg

Blue Fox, you are my off road Subaru Idol.
One of these days I'll make it up to Colorado.

Haha! Thanks. Your Foz will kill mine off road because you have the 4EAT and VDC.

Awesome trail! :lildevil:

Love the scenery & looks very challenging! What tyre pressures were you guys running?

Exc job with no LR :biggrin:

Your Foz looks identical to the last one you had?

SG, they got it right the first time eh!

No Cross Sport HID's?

Nice man, you ready for snow?! Was down in your neck of the woods a couple months ago. Spent a few days at a friends lodge down on Main St in Ouray. Love the San Juans!

Your Foz looks identical to the last one you had?

SG, they got it right the first time eh!

No Cross Sport HID's?

Yep! My 04 model was killed in her prime. I resurrected her thanks to an 05 XT. Not nearly as capable though, I do miss the 4EAT for off road for sure.

Nice man, you ready for snow?! Was down in your neck of the woods a couple months ago. Spent a few days at a friends lodge down on Main St in Ouray. Love the San Juans!

Totally ready for snow!

Back