Wheel fell off boat trailer today

Tweaksta

Car Year
Transmission
5MT
My 30 year old fibreglass half cabin has been sitting for a year in the same spot. Recently our council said trailers can no longer sit in the same spot for more than 28 days so today I proceeded to move it two streets away (about 200 metres).

After about 100 metres I heard a few pops, bangs and groans and looked in the rear view to see the left trailer wheel working it's way off. I stopped as smoothly as I could with no shoulder and in a no stopping zone and checked the wheel, it was off the axle with the tip just resting in the rim keeping it off the road.

To get us out of danger I jacked up the trailer until I could push the wheel back on, and rolled ever so slowly with the missus holding the wheel on with her hands and giving the odd kick to keep it aligned. It would've been a sight to behold. The boat is now in a parking space but only for 48 hours before it needs to be moved.

We have had suspension shops re-do our bearings every 2-3 years and they were only done about 50 km (or about 7 launches) ago.

• Does anyone fully understand what might be happening?

• Is there another part that might be worn - perhaps the whole axle and all the associated parts need replacing?

• Can I somehow hold the wheel on for 5 km to get it to a repair shop - or is this a tow job?
2 boats in 16 years and have had at least three wheels come off, I now officially hate boats and will always be nervous about trailers - camper, caravan, boat, anything. Trailers suck poop.

1) Trailers generally use lower quality bearings then cars

2) Boat trailers get dunked in the water, when this happens water seeps into them because they are so poorly sealed.

I usually check the grease in my boat trailer bearings 1-2 times per year (usually before big trips). If they look fine I just top the grease up, if it's milky (from water) I clean them out and redo them. My boat trailer gets a lot of use though. Even with maintenance I think the trailer is on it's third set of bearings and is about 13 years old. Bearings and water just don't mix. Checking the grease is as simple as pulling the caps off, changing bearings is a bit of work.

A bit of ancient technology but it works.
Drill and tap the hubs for grease nipples. Give a squirt every time you return from and before you go into the water.
Salt water is nasty.

2) Boat trailers get dunked in the water, when this happens water seeps into them because they are so poorly sealed.

they do - but you shouldn't.

Your best bet is to only back down the ramp as far as the wheel rim -- don't dunk your bearings into salt water, and always give your trailer a good hose down after use.

My boat trailer (home made by PO) is probably 20 years old, runs crappy 10" wheels with simple hub nuts, and I've never had a problem with it.

It is super reliable, because it carries a sailing dinghy with its own dolly, the trailer never goes near the water.

Keeping the rims out of the water would be ideal. Not always possible depending on boat, trailer and ramp steepness combinations. Eg. a fairly flat boat ramp/beach would leave most boats high and dry if you didn't back the trailer wheels into the water, which makes launching/retrieving a larger boat a bit tricky. But you should definitely keep the rims out of the water if you've got a smaller boat and a decent boat ramp.

"and rolled ever so slowly with the missus holding the wheel on with her hands and giving the odd kick to keep it aligned".....gold!

I know right? I was so stoked when it flippin worked.

She still has a friction mark on her hand.

By the way, I posted the bearing and hub replacement on Airtasker and some mega handyman dude came and replaced the whole lot in about 2 hours....all fixed, sorted and working. I think I'm going to sell the thing rather than get water in the bearings again.

Back