Subaru on Ronnie Dahl's Channel

ABFoz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester XS
Transmission
4EAT
Welp, it looks like Ronnie is getting some Subie Love as well.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkdzzXRyCac"]4WD Subaru L series Modified Episode 67 - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah it’s an “interesting” video. Shame the owner thought there’s no online resources for info on modifying an L series.

And 20L/100km?!! Bugger that!! It’s not AWD either. Yes there’s a box available in AWD but later on they talk about 2wd, high 4wd and low 4wd.

His under body is cracked in the same way mine did after an airborne incident up at Dinner Plain. Mine is sorted with some plating work.

Anyone keen to have “hilux” stamped/printed on their subi that’s not involved in a “hilux recovery vehicle” sticker?

Anyway, good for a Subaru to be in the spotlight on a program like this.

I miss aggressive looking offroad tyres on my L.

I’m keen to read what others thought about it. Maybe I’m more critical as an L owner than other Subaru off-roader owners.

Cheers

Bennie

I search Subaru off road every day and was surprised this popped up. I was even more surprised that he isn't familiar with ORS. This site is just full of technical things that every off-roading Subaru owner should know of. Even Ronnie said he had a hard time looking for an off-road Subaru. Maybe, there isn't that much submissions to him. It would be nice to have one of the members' cars featured as well.

The RTT drag, the weight, and the underpowered engine play a huge part with that 20L/100km fuel consumption. We are not comparing our fuel consumption here but I feel like the sweet spot with getting the best consumption with RTT is with the EJ25. I am just assuming that.

For AUD 6,000, the owner enjoys off-road touring and that maybe the highlight of the segment. Some of the rigs in the channel are worth around AUD 100,000 and for me, that is too much for such an activity but it's the owners' decision to do so.

I also like the more personalised built not bought builds in his channel like the NJ Pajero by the German tourists and the old BJ Land Cruiser that are customised accordingly. The owners didn't have to spend a fortune to do touring. Cheers.

Last edited:
I think people forget just how ****e carburetors could be.

EFI and electronic engine management is the difference.

That one too, not to mention rebuilding the carb to ensure effective performance.

This was very interesting and I agree that it was good to see a Subaru featured.

I also agree it is a pity he didn't give a plug to this page and Subaru Facebook pages. Maybe he wasn't allowed to mention them by name?

Ronny said that this sort of vehicle wouldn't go remote but I was part of a group of Subaru drivers who crossed the Simpson Desert last year and one of the drivers was in an L Series.

Sounds like he is having fun though and making the most of his Subaru.

6' body lift looks cool but ground clearance not existed under diffs there.

EFI and electronic engine management is the difference.

As is more displacement!

With a fuel bill like that he’d save heaps in fuel with an EJ conversion! Plus it’d be way more fun off and on road!

I just replaced a dead coolant sensor in my EJ22 and I’ve fallen in love with its performance again. Can’t wait to see if there’s a change in fuel economy ;)

Cheers

Bennie

any car is good for camping if its good fo you and makes you feel great to do that. thats important, nots what car you using and whats better.

Back