Kevin

Administrator
Car Year
MY'03
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
A/T
Per another thread - I have been wondering about the quality of my antenna (it's a DSE 5dB or 9dB screw on extendable type) and I've been thinking of switching to a GME.

My antenna is bull bar mounted and in close proximity and convoy situations it works very well. But when out on the road I often find that I hear just one side of a conversation. I don't usually have the extendable part attached and, once, when I did put it on, other people on the trip said my transmissions were not as clear.

Troy-XT's setup works well and I know he has a GME antenna.

So what is a good general purpose antenna?

VERY highly recomend the GME AE4018K1.

These are a 4.5 DB gain that i have personally tested myself against higher gain (more expensive) antennas with good results. It is also elevated feed which makes it great for bull bars. I can continue on about this antenna for ages... i like it.

I can go on with a few more reasons this is a good antenna if anyone wants.

Cost is about $110 - $130

Dave

whats the length of the GME AE4018K1 ?

I am looking for one a bit shorter than the CD900 I had before (very good 6.5db BTW, needs a solid mount tho, imho, like a bull bar) since the mounting location is going to be less robust....

For a nicer looking antenna the RFI CD921-931 (6.5dB) is what i currently have on my hatch... but i have found in hilly terrain i have been out-performed by the AE4018K1 (4.5dB).

I don't know if people understand how the dB (Gain) effects how an antenna works but i will breif over it...

As your db increases the further the antenna will transmit and receive but the less forgiving when it comes to obsticles in your path. Like hills, buildings and trees.

Eg: A 3dB antenna is great for earth moving mashinary that are always around sand hills and mounds... where if your in the nallabour a 9dB works better.

Think of it like an adjustable mag light... the more focused the beam the further u can can but the easier the light is blocked. The wider the beam the less distance but the light spreads out more not blocking the light as easy.

I belive a 4.5Db is a good mid rangs antenna for all terrains... If mine breaks (i have learnt my lesson) i will be going with a 4.5Db.

Dave

Perhaps the following pics will help explain what Subarino means a little more.

radpatternsaz0.jpg

4wdhillrp1.jpg

Regards
Mr Turbo

What about recommendations for a z mount on the side of the bonnet - I don't have a bullbar (I don't have a uhf set yet either so some recommendations here weould be good too)

cheers

Brian

I didn't notice this thread earlier. I've literally just today ordered an RFI CD5000 to replace the screw on 5/16 MobileOne 4.5db that I had been using. Few people seem to recommend them so hopefully that was a good choice.

When I bought the current set up I didn't understand about ground planes and so while it's fine for our day trips, being stuck out on the bullbar isn't the best place for it. So I'm replacing it with the ground plane independant RFI. I'll still keep the other set up on the other side of the bullbar and connect my handheld UHF to that allowing me to use 2 channels at once should the need ever arrive.

Only downside to the RFI unit is it's a permanent mount so I'm little worried about someone trying to steal it but hopefully it'll be OK.

Finally installed the GME AE4018K1 today! (after turning the current antenna into a "Z" on Alex's trip!) :lol:

Based on Subarino's recommendation, my son ordered one with his new Jeep as well.

No, just plug it in for UHF; very easy DIY. Works very nicely too!

What everyone has forgotten is ground planing is the key to all UHF and 27 mhz transmittions. It's also is the key to not burning out your finals in the respective radios. I see too many people try and attach a base mount to there bullbar and an antennea. There is not enough ground plane to suffice this type of set up hence the technology of elevated feed antenneas. When UHF was bought out intially every user drilled a hole in the middle of there roof to acheive ground planing, and before UHF, 27mhz users did the same. The elevated feed option is the simplist and non derogitive way to mount an antenna. The best way is to drill a hole centre of your roof and use the old style method to acheive best results. I run a 25 watt radio with an RFI 6 dbi elevated feed antenna and acheive excellent transmission in my2008 Forester. I can talk 50 - 100km simplex and have strong duplex input. On road, being a B double interstate driver I use an elevated feed with a 4.5 dbi antenna and a 5 watt GME4400. This acheives outstanding qualities.

Very happy with my GME AE4018K1 and want to buy another but now they are 6.6dBi not 4.5? Odd that they would change it!

^ just researching this again as I'm about to buy another and found "4.5db UHF Antenna Equivalent to 6.6dbi" - so it has not changed

Back