Garmin eTrek ## Personal GPS

ibjl9i.jpg

Code:
https://www.aukadia.net/gps/lw3_0.htm

Any thoughts, opinions, isuues?

:cool:

Same here...

Feature: TracBack a track.

Starting from the Main Menu, how do you navigate with an etrex?
That's right, you select 'Where to?'!

To navigate a track, you select 'Tracks', then for the current track, that's what you select, 'Current Track'.
Then click Go.

You're now tracking back with TracBack (the only way you can navigate) the current track -- backwards.

Don't believe me?
Press and hold the Menu key for two seconds to confirm it.

:)

Last edited:
Giving your eTrex a personalized startup screen to identify you as the owner.

I have found a way to personalise my Garmin eTrex 20, by including my name and other details in the start-up screen. This might help in recovery if the unit is ever lost or stolen, since few people would know how to find or edit the file. However, if you are tech-savvy, personalisation is a very easy process.

Mine now boots and displays my contact details centred above the GARMIN on the boot screen. The boot screen has been set by me to display for 25 seconds. This can be shortened touching any key to cancel the boot screen at any time at each boot. Very nice if lost or misplaced as an honest person could potentially know who and where it belongs!

Backup your OS file first!

The very first thing every eTrex user should do is archive all their GPS system files to a computer before they use their unit. I recommend this because sites like Geocaching.com write directly to your eTrex. In the event a corrupted GPX file is written to your GPS, or any other files get corrupted in the process--you can always revert to a fresh operating system. I prefer this method because I have found the Garmin “Master Reset” will restore some files--but not all--to their original configuration.

The txt hack.

Once the eTrex system is backed up, it’s safe to do this “hack”, which personalises the unit’s startup screen. To find the file we’ll edit, connect your GPS to a PC, open the unit and go to the “Garmin” directory. Once at that level, copy the text file named “startup”--it’s always best to edit a saved copy. Using Notepad for the PC or TextEdit on Mac, open the file. It will look like this:

Code:
<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on                -->
<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated           -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
<display = 0>

<!-- Type your message on the next line -->

Obviously, Garmin setup this file for easy editing. To set your startup message for 25 seconds, simply replace the numeral "0" above with 25 to read <display = 25>
Finally, to create a startup message, you simply add after the last line such as...

Code:
Property of John Smith
john@smith.com
(555) 555-5555

(Note: this works for multiple lines)

That's all you do, and the result is your name and number centered nicely in the startup screen. Here is a sample of what the whole file might look like:

Code:
<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on                -->
<!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated           -->

<!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed -->
<display = 25>

Property of John Smith
john@smith.com
(555) 555-5555

Finally, save this file as the same exact name, and copy over to your eTrex in the same directory, replacing the previous file. (Naturally, take great care to not delete or edit any other files.) This is why a system archive is so important--so you can restore your GPS in the event of any unforeseen glitches.

I also stick an ID label on the back and inside the battery area. I also make a text file named: ownerinfo.txt and put it in the internal memory and SD card.

Note: try at your own risk--no warranty is expressed or implied by this hack.

---------------------

WARNING: I read here or another GPS forum that if you put international characters in the 'startup' message, like å, ä, ñ, etc, the unit will deadbrick and require service by garmin (joystick up to force USB mass storage and edit back the message won't work).

This was a few months ago and the bug might have been fixed, but you might want to avoid taking the risk.

Last edited:
GARMIN instruction manuals are a joke explaining 5% of what is needed so when you find a good manual other than Garmins official rubbish, post it up here..

The Garmin eTrex 10/20/30 - Virginia Geospatial Extension Program

https://gep.frec.vt.edu/pdfFiles/eTrex_102030_manual.pdf

33lnxco.jpg

GARMIN instruction manuals are a joke explaining 5% of what is needed so when you find a good manual other than Garmins official rubbish, post it up here..

:monkeydance:

Change History: Garmin eTrex 10/20/30 firmware

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:

• Added support for VIRB Remote (eTrex 30). Main Menu > MENU Key > Change Item Order to add. See TrailTech (https://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2013/08/VIRB-remote.html) for more information.
  • Fixed issue with route calculations always avoiding seasonally closed roads
  • Fixed possible issue when missing a turn while using the Active Route application
Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:

• Fixed issue with incorrect letter capitalization of certain map points
  • Fixed issue where wirelessly transmitting a geocache to another device would result in an error message when trying to view the received geocache in BaseCamp
  • Fixed potential issue with city searching
Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:

• Fixed several issues with sorting photos in the photo viewer application.
  • Fixed issue with prompted routing.
  • Fixed issue with saving a track's 'show on map' status across a power cycle.
  • Fixed issue with displaying tracks on the map after performing an area calculation.
  • Fixed issue with BirdsEye imagery's status not being saved to each profile.
  • Fixed issue with tempe sensor's status not being saved to each profile (eTrex 30 devices).
  • Fixed potential shutdown when viewing certain tracks or routes in German or Russian.
  • Fixed possible issue with reviewing a track's information.
  • Fixed possible issue with searching for an address in cities with extremely long names.
Changes made from version 2.80 to 2.90:

• Added Adventure support with latest version of BaseCamp. See TrailTech (https://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/garmin-adventures.html) for more information.
  • Added support for new tempe sensor on eTrex 30 devices. See TrailTech (https://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/08/tempe-sensor.html) for more information.
  • Improved accuracy of compass calibration on eTrex 30 devices. A new manual compass calibration is required (Setup > Heading > Calibrate Compass).
  • Improved map drawing at low zoom levels.
  • Improved load times for geocache descriptions.
  • Improved Ascent and Descent calculations.
  • Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from BaseCamp (identical maps required).
  • Fixed issue with picture rotation when using the photo viewer on eTrex 30 devices.
  • Fixed possible error message when disconnecting the device from a computer.
  • Fixed possible issue with viewing geocache descriptions in night mode.
Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

• Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically
  • Improved GPS response at low speeds
  • Improved ability to clear unit settings on power up: now only requires menu key and enter key to be held when powering the unit on
  • Improved size of roads drawn on map in 'automotive mode' orientation
  • Improved elevation data stored in track logs (etrex 30)
  • Fixed issue that was causing some devices to display a 'memory full' message followed by bad device behavior
  • Fixed issue with distance to destination data field
  • Fixed occasional overlapping of data fields in the elevation application
  • Fixed issue where waypoints and geocaches could be lost
Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.70:

• Improved GPS response at low speeds
  • Fixed issue that could occur when restoring map zoom level defaults
  • Fixed issue with track distance data field in stopwatch application

Changes made from version 2.50 to 2.60:

• Added Geocaching with Photos (https://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/01/geocaching-with-photos.html)
  • Fixed potential naming issues with imported routes from BaseCamp
  • Fixed issue with reviewing BlueChart® g2 depth points from the map page
  • Fixed issue with magnetic north offset when projecting a waypoint
Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:

• Fixed issue where project waypoint feature would only work once per power cycle.
Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:

• Improvements to the geocaching experience. See TrailTech (https://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html) for more information.
  • Improved behavior on startup when importing large numbers of waypoints, tracks, routes, or geocaches
  • Fixed issue where the progress bar would not display any progress when importing waypoints, tracks, routes, and geocaches
  • Fixed issue with very long geocache descriptions
  • Fixed shutdown when reviewing certain geocache descriptions
  • Fixed issue where some auto-archived tracks would be named in English regardless of user language
  • Fixed issue with track log recording while using the stopwatch
  • Fixed potential shutdown while scrolling through Garmin Connect photos
  • Fixed minor graphical issue with the backlight slider on the status page
  • Modified default map trails to appear as dashed red lines
Changes made from version 2.20 to 2.30:

• Improved support for Russian cartography.
Changes made from version 2.10 to 2.20:

• Added support for advanced geocache logging with OpenCaching.com. See TrailTech (https://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/08/advanced-geocache-logging-with-opencachingcom.html) for more information.

I like to boat and fish and so I often wind up in other parts of the country. I like to carry all my GPS maps with me and the full factory services manuals in PDF for the SG for off road fiddles. I do this with my Etrex 20 GPS.

97rw2q.jpg

So currently my Etrex 20 has a 16 Gig hi-speed SD card with these (9 Gig) current Garmin maps:

24bp8bl.jpg

They all don't work all at once as the Etrex has a pathetic slow BUS speed (USB v1.0) so it's better to choose the right local map you need and not just go for the big whole country ones straight off.

:cool:

Last edited:
  1. previous page
  2. previous page
  3. previous page
  4. previous page
  5. previous page
  6. previous page
  7. Working with tracklogs
  8. Working with routes
  9. Working with autoroutes
    • Getting the Right Map
    • Performing an Autoroute
    • Using an Autoroute
    • Setup Preferences
    • Using a Manual Route and an Autoroute together
  10. Navigating with your Garmin
  11. Working with the Simulation Mode, gps off, or Use inside
  12. Working with databases (maps, cities, jeppesen)
  13. Working with MapSource
    • Introduction
    • Installation
    • Overview
    • Working with Maps
    • Working with Tracklogs, Waypoints, and Routes
    • Working with Real Time Display
    • Other Features
  14. Undocumented features
  15. Working with the computer interface
  16. Miscellaneous functions
  17. Accessories
  18. Technical Details
  19. Other Garmin receivers
  20. Appendix
  21. Addendum
...other articles about gps receivers from this index.

Last edited:
Back