Wiring Behind Dash?

Bumper

Hi All,

The tiny light bulb that lights my cruise control switch (right-hand side of the dash in my '01 Forester) recently blew. When I pulled the dash apart to replace the bulb I found there were two other sets of wiring and quick connector fittings hanging loose behind the dash. There are two other switch blanks which could easily be fitted with real switches. They look like they are factory fittings waiting for an option to be installed. Any idea what these might be? Are they wired for standard Subaru accessories? If I simply install a switch, do I get a whole new accessory to play with?

have you any luck replacing the bulb?
I'm looking for one and 2 dealers I approached both said I have to purchase the entire switch as they don't sell the bulb on its own!

Yeah I managed to get a non-Subaru service centre to order the part. It's a tiny little thing that cost something like AUD$16! Still, cheaper than the whole switch, and, once I figured out how to get the switch apart, very simple to replace. There's two bulbs in the switch, one for the night light I guess, and an orange one. They simply unscrew from the top of the switch.

Do you guys have anything like a Radioshack in upsidedown land?

Radioshack here sells bulbs 2/1.99 USD that are exact replacements for the bulbs in the switches, seat heater switches, and HVAC system (in first gen and maybe 2nd gen).

They are like miniture chrsistmas light bulbs, or rice bulbs.

nipper

That's good to know - yes we do have a few electronics components shops here - Jaycar, Dick Smith, Tandy. One of them would have to be cheaper!

Hi All,

The tiny light bulb that lights my cruise control switch (right-hand side of the dash in my '01 Forester) recently blew. When I pulled the dash apart to replace the bulb I found there were two other sets of wiring and quick connector fittings hanging loose behind the dash. There are two other switch blanks which could easily be fitted with real switches. They look like they are factory fittings waiting for an option to be installed. Any idea what these might be? Are they wired for standard Subaru accessories? If I simply install a switch, do I get a whole new accessory to play with?

Hi Kerri,
I fit accessories to new Suzuki's & Mercedes Benz LCV and they have a similar setup. Some of the wiring is there for OEM fog lights when you fit them. The others would be, most likely, for OEM accessories fitted in other countries. I'm guessing the same would be true of Subaru.

Ian

this is the bulb I'm chasing
it would work out cheaper if I buy it from the US and have it posted to Perth if they cost $16 here!

bulb1fq7.jpg

bulb2cr5.jpg

Subaru Part number: Switch Bulb (Green) 83426AA020

So, if I'm hearing you guys correctly, if I install some driving/fog lights up front, the wiring should already be there. All I'd need is a switch.

Okay, if one set of wires are for the lights, what might the other set be? Must have a look in the manual to see what the standard options should be. It'd be really nifty to upgrade the options without having to play spaghetti with the wiring loom eh?

Yes thats the bulb. Radio shack bulbs without the green condom work just as well. You just have to wire them in. We do it all the time here in the USA.

nipper

ok I'll have a look aruond the electronics shops here thanks

So, if I'm hearing you guys correctly, if I install some driving/fog lights up front, the wiring should already be there. All I'd need is a switch.

Okay, if one set of wires are for the lights, what might the other set be? Must have a look in the manual to see what the standard options should be. It'd be really nifty to upgrade the options without having to play spaghetti with the wiring loom eh?

you can download the service manuals here
might need to join up, it's free anyway

https://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=115

One set is indeed for the fog lights - my Forrie didn't have fogs, and I fitted some aftermarket ones later using the existing wiring loom, and I bought the Subaru switchgear (making the brackets for the lights was :furious:).

Back