Big Red (Merged)

Yes, I had forgotten about Big Red. Normally not interested in sand driving, I might make an exception in this instance. What pressure did you run through there Kevin?

14 psi. Doesn't take very long to get there from Birdsville; about 40Klm. There's Big Red and Little Red.

It's a must do, as are curried camel pies from the Birdsville bakery!

Big Red

Looking for details regarding Big Red. Just how hard is it? I know where the pub and airfield is at Birdsville. How do you get to Big Red from there? Which is the easy climb, which is the hard climb? How do you know you are at the correct location? Anyone have gps co-ordinates? Any other information? I have done very very little sand driving. SG Forester 2.5 turbo with low range, dccd and rear locker.

The only thingI know is that it has been done in an SVX. I'd post a picture but the last one was removed, for reasons I guess.

It did it easily. I'm guessing up the easy track. At a guess, the power of that particular car is higher than your forester Fair bit of work done on that motor, N/A but ground celarance would probably be similar assuming you haven't lifted your forester.
It's running a 6speed STI box with DCCD. don't think there's any other lockers.
Not much help I know, but gives you an idea of what can go up it.

Edit: according to google, it's here: 25.8797° S, 139.0535° E

Thanks for the info. Do you know what was done to the svx’s engine to increase it’s output and what power it has?

I don’t expect I will ever need to engage the diff locks.
If dry you won't need to. If wet but still open some spots can turn to slush. Even with the rear locked you may not make it through

You may do if you go out to challenge Big Red (which you should do while out there) :iconwink:
Yes Big Red is a must! Watch the other 4wds for a bit. After you've finished chuckling, drop tyre pressures to 12-14psi, select 1st low, take it easy on the rutted section down the bottom then as soon as you're clear of the ruts, floor it!

The runs are progressively harder from right to left, so start on the RHS run. (not incl the bypass tr). You should be able to do the 3 main runs 1st try easily enough :monkeydance:

I believe you literally run into big red.

As for sand driving, always lower your tyre pressures. I start out at 20-25, then if having difficulty will go down to 15psi. In extreme cases 10psi then air back up after the difficult section is done.

Just remember that the lower the pressure, the easier it is to roll the bead off the rim - so avoid hard cornering.

Once you lose momentum and start spinning tyres give up and go again. You'll want to punch more throttle but you'll just dig some holes that make it harder again to get through. Many situations in sand can come down to momentum and how/where the sand bumps you around/to on the track. Remember gentle steering actions with reduced tyre pressures ;)

You'll know if others are cruising on road pressures and 2wd as this leaves "little" sand dunes in the offending vehicle's tyre's path, kind of like corrugations. Not good for the track. Hopefully you won't find any big holes from a large 4wd maxing out their articulation while spinning wheels.

With the rear locker you've got an added advantage and you might find yoursf using it more than you thought - at least on big red ;)
Your foz should pretty much walk over anything out there I reckon. This is just opinion as I've not been out there yet.

Cheers

Bennie

Google Maps shows Birdsville to Big Red

You won't need more power as my fully loaded Foz handled it.

On top:

Floor it? Never done that off road before, at least not with this engine.

Floor it? Never done that off road before, at least not with this engine.
That's because you haven't driven on soft sand before. It's like driving with an anchor out the back!

You have a good engine, same as this one from Fandizzle. Even with a locked centre & auto, Mitch still had to floor his to make it up. Mind you, he was also able to do some of the smaller, much more difficult runs:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ48VXMGDLQ&t=75s"]Subaru forester XT does Big red sand dune Simpson Desert - YouTube[/ame]

This is me on the hardest run far left:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5W0l2-L_Y"]Subaru Forester on the rev limiter on Big Red - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like I will have to learn on the job when I get there.

Earlier in the dry season is best as it shouldn't chewed up as much.

Plan on being there this time next year

Rally I think you'll like Big Red. It requires going hard and the sand throws you off line a lot so you need to react quickly. Best of all there's no unforgiving rocks to bash the car on, although soft sand is hard on the driveline.

You won't need the rear locker to do it but IMO you should, it will be a good test of it's strength

Did you stay in low range first the whole way? Wondering if high range might be better, engine has the torque to do it I think

Yep 1st low the whole way. You can't change gear in soft sand as you'll immediately lose a ton of momentum. That's why autos are becoming so popular offroad despite their lack of engine braking or front LSDs

Thanks for the info. Do you know what was done to the svx’s engine to increase it’s output and what power it has?

No sorry, being that they were 230Hp Stock when new they''re comparable to an XT, but greater weight @ 1600kgs.
I've seen pictures of it and about all I can tell you from that is it has individual throttle bodies. I dunno if that makes any difference to power, just makes it a bit more responsive I think - I'm sure you would know.
From reading the threads on the svx forum he knows that engine inside out, I'm pretty sure that whatever you could do to an EG33 he's tried in either that one or another of his SVXs (he has several, one ex Targa I believe, another supercharged, but not his 'daily' which is the one he's taken up Big Red and the tip of Cape York a couple of times - last posting on the SVX forums he was up to 700,000kms in it, I'll have to ask him what is up to now, when I do I'll ask what the power is currently).

In an effort to get back to the topic:
I reckon you'll fly up big red, the only thing that'll stop you on the harder tracks is ground clearance. :)

If you’re going for individual throttle bodies you’re chasing top end power, and if he has done that then surely he would have done cams, head work and a tune. In other words, a high rev screamer.

Back