what shocks fits from other cars ?

scalman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2006 3.0R 5EAT Sportshift VDC/VTD LPG
Transmission
5eat Sportshift
it cant be that nothing fits subaru. well we can redo some stuff can we ? like mounting brackets and such. top mounting is very easy to redo if needed . all we need is bottom mount and longer shock in height.
people put long travels in subarus that are made shocks and cost very much. cheap idea would be just take longer then ours stock shocks like 5-10 cm longer ones and make them fit with that we would get lift without any spacers and have that more travel.
some jealousness come to me because i saw some renault/dacia duster videos shich is similar size to forester and then saw how many aftermarket stuff they have , and both lockers. and yes dusters have some same parts as some nissans models so maybe thats why. but still its AWD car that got both lockers. no higher no bigger then forester.
ppl make new arms for subarsu to put there long travel shocks so what stops us to just redo shocks from other car that is just longer enough to give us lift and more travel . i get it shocks that i made for heavier or lighter cars would not work ok but there are cars that weight similar to subarus so shocks from them could work.
or is there no higher struts in any other car that we could use. ?:poke:

On the Legacy, Impreza, Forester and Outback BG, all with the multilink/mcpherson rear suspension, you can swap the struts with little modifications. The struts with the longest travel are the Outback BG's. I have also found that the Nissan X-trail T30 rear struts are very long and could probably fit our Subarus but I havent tested it.

The more recent Subarus (like your Outback BH) have changed the rear suspension for a spring and shock design, I have never looked what could be improved but as you know, Pontoontodd is going to work on it.

yh but hes making struts and they are even more expensive then coils that some of you using there. i asked him and hes gonna make again custom arm too.
what im looking in its strut from other car that could be redone to fit our cars.
ok like those ones
0000692_bilstein-by-mudster-shock-absorbers-set-of-4_550.jpeg

or any others we can cut off that mounting and make new one if we need and even make weld spring holder we just need base of strut that is longer then ours are.
still would be cheaper then custom long travels or coils.
iv seen pontoontod ones and hes like repairing his car after every trip allmost like car body is cracking dislocating and shocks bending too. all kind of stuff happening there which means that body of the car is not made for those kind of extreme suspension travel.

similar to how old loyale could use toyota runner front shock for rear. i mean there must be other options as well.
HPIM4037.gif

and thats pontoontodd version of long travel for its outback BG
DSCF2218s.jpg

but they not bolt in. hes made like custom arm for that it could reach those limits of flex
and end version has changed to that
DSCF1168sF.jpg

but then when you pushing car beyond its limits car body starts to crack, bend , tear appart.

I have also pointed you to the Nissan Xtrail T30 rear struts....

yes but who tested them . do they fit do they too weak or too hard. many questions. but its curious to compare them to subaru ones.

Back