• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Guide to 15" Audi rims that fit over Subaru 4 pot brake

Venom

Forum Member
Guide to 15" Audi rims that fit over Subaru 4 pot brake

There are very few options for 15" rims that fit over Subaru WRX 4 pots. Most are very expensive rally wheels that cost $300 each or more. This is the way I've gone to get 15" rims over my 4 pots, so i have more options for off-road tyres compared to 16".

1996 -2003 Audi A3, 5x100, R15"x6", ET38 rims with 57.1mm centre bore fit on a Subaru with 4 pot brakes. They're basically WRX rim offset, so sit out wider than the factory Subaru steelies but still sit within the guards.

P1010045.jpg

Image stolen from dirtyimpreza forums and linked at bottom of this post.

Test fitted them on my car and they have heaps of room over the 4 pots.

They're light (5.8kg) and forged alloy - so they will bend and not shatter like most after market alloys.

2 small problems with them- they use a ball seat lug nut (Subaru are cone type), and the Audi center bore is 57.1mm compared to Subaru's 56.1mm. However both problems are easily solved.

The only source of M12x1.25 ball type lug nuts i can find was here:
https://www.otisincla.com/product/B-D31R/12mmx125-R12-Ball-Seat-Hex-19-Total-Length-23mm-Stainless-Steel-Cap.html

The alternative is to get cone to ball seat adapter washers. Much cheaper, but i decided to go with the lug nuts. Conversion washers here:
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Ball-Seat-Conversion-Washers-Each-p/ball-seat-conversion-washer.htm

The only source of 56.1mm to 57.1mm hub centric rings i found here:
https://pdt-services.com/en/centric-rings/hub-centric-rings-for-alloy-wheels/hub-centric-ring-57-1-mm-to-56-1-mm

Post 2003 Audi rims are a different stud pattern. Make sure you get 5x100 Audi wheels! Do not use cone type lug nuts on the ball seat type Audi wheels without the adapter washer.

Will sort out some pictures later.

Cheers,

Rhys

Sources of information:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2064503
https://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12461&page=3

Last edited:
They look awesome :lildevil:

Are you getting new rubber or swapping over your Dunlops?

PS: whats the going rate to get tyres swapped over to new rims? I've been quoted $15-20 per tyre! :(

Interesting, I might have to look into this down the track... However I find my breaks adequate at the present time with my power. Plus I have 15's that weigh 26kg each with the tyres.

They look awesome :lildevil:

Are you getting new rubber or swapping over your Dunlops?

PS: whats the going rate to get tyres swapped over to new rims? I've been quoted $15-20 per tyre! :(

Sounds about right. Most of that cost is the wheel balancing which you can't really get around because the entire wheel balance changes with a different rim.

Still undecided on tyres. I still think those Kumho's are too big for what i want out of my car.

Last edited:
Still undecided on tyres. I still think those Kumho's are too big for what i want out of my car.

But soooo awesome! I dont think the size is a prob with the abundant torque you have, but the rubbing is. I wonder if there's anything you can do about it...

Slight update - Dulagarl found this website which states the 5x100 was used from 1996 - 2003:
https://www.wheelfitment.net/audi

Good one! :monkeydance:

It also says offset 35 - 45 :lildevil:

Instead of getting special wheel nuts or washers (which I'm worried bout being lost) could you machine the wheels to take a tapered lug nut? I dont think too much metal would have to be removed...or is this "dodgy"?

Yea the offset will vary depending on rim width, but they basically position the same as wrx/STi rims. Perhaps even a little bit further out.

The rounded lug nuts are larger than the cone type. You can see in the picture in my first post how the Subaru nuts sits well inside the rounded taper. I wouldn't give the slightest consideration to machining it at all. You're better off paying / carrying around a spare set of washer adapters than risk losing a rim off the car. Especially with the offroading we do, which was why I decided to go a bit all out and get the proper wheel nuts and hub rings.

Shipping for the wheel nut adapters is a bit of a killer. It's basically the same for 5 or 50. So i'd suggest if anyone is considering ordering some to ask on here first if anyone else is interested in doing a bit of a group buy. I know i'm keen to get 5 so i have some spares.

Last edited:
...and before anyone goes racing off to ebay to buy any, I saw the ones in Maidstone Vic first, and I am trying to talk a deal with the seller. Please don't mess that up.:cool:

the only concern I have about these is running them without dust caps. Thoughts?

Do you have any specific concerns about running without them? Maybe a little bit of extra dust ingressing into the driveshaft spline bit and maybe bearings? Ergo for the wheel studs. Probably not so much an issue with later Subaru's where the wheel bearings are separated from the driveshaft.

Do you have any specific concerns about running without them? Maybe a little bit of extra dust ingressing into the driveshaft spline bit and maybe bearings? Ergo for the wheel studs. Probably not so much an issue with later Subaru's where the wheel bearings are separated from the driveshaft.

yep that.

I'm a bit concerned about the outer edge of these. the lip seems to extend a lot higher than the inside of the rim. I think this would be an issue with BFG AT tyres which have a rim protector. If my thinking is right, the edge of the rim would cover the rim protector on the tyre. This could cause problems with the tyre bead not sitting properly.

They also look very effective at trapping mud.

They do look cool and I'm sure they're light... but definitely not appropriate for offroading anywhere there's mud.

Last edited:
I'm a bit concerned about the outer edge of these. the lip seems to extend a lot higher than the inside of the rim. I think this would be an issue with BFG AT tyres which have a rim protector. If my thinking is right, the edge of the rim would cover the rim protector on the tyre. This could cause problems with the tyre bead not sitting properly.

The edge of these rim sits in the exact same spot as any other, it's just the different shape of the rim that gives it that illusion. I had the kumho's KL71 with rim protector on these wheels and the tyres sat perfectly. They're no different to any other wheel in that regard.

The edge of these rim sits in the exact same spot as any other, it's just the different shape of the rim that gives it that illusion. I had the kumho's KL71 with rim protector on these wheels and the tyres sat perfectly. They're no different to any other wheel in that regard.

excellent.

Just bought a set of 5 of these. Have collected one and will pick up the other 4 next week.
Have also sourced some ball seat conversion washers from Mr Lugnut in Lilydale for about $1.50 each.
Will have to get the centre conversion rings , but should have them fitted for June long weekend.
On first impressions they are incredibly light.
Thanks for your help Rhys.

Back