Notices

Unread 11th October 2018, 07:25 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Year: 2016
Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
temmah is on a distinguished road

From the 2019 Forester video, it looks like x-mode deep snow/mud is just turning the traction control system off (minute 6.24 in the video). I can do that by pressing my traction control off button.

I purchased the icar2 wifi odb2 reader today which works with the Active AWD app to read the torque split front to rear. I just went for a quick drive around the road to check it out.

I believe there is a myth somewhere that putting the CVT in manual 1st gear makes the front/rear split 50/50. That is just a myth from my initial findings in my car. It did send about 10% more torque to the rear on average but not 50/50.

Turning on x-mode seemed to make the active torque split more happy to send torque to the rear. Even on the road i managed to send 40% to the rear on a steep incline.

Anyway I will do more testing and put some data together. This is what interests me, working out what the AWD is doing in different conditions. (Nerd Alert).

I have some dash cam video's to upload from a few weeks ago when i week off road. Ill post them soon.
Unread 11th October 2018, 10:24 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

That's interesting. I was hoping my OBD2 reader would show me torque split too but unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to show me that information. I would love to know what the splits are on an SH auto.
Unread 11th October 2018, 08:30 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

This is good. Keep us updated. It used to be just FreeSSM (https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...r-ecm-tcu.html) only for our Subarus. I am considering setting installing one on Linux.

I found ActiveOBD for Subaru (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.app&hl=en_US) only exists on Android. I haven't seen an iOS alternative yet.

It would be nice to get not just the torque split but also the amount of power that the wheels get, even though indirectly, because of the use of the brakes to control the spinning wheels.

EDIT: Well, technically we still should be able to see the power sent to the wheels even when the spinning wheels are controlled by the brakes. We should be able to see how much limiting the TCU/ECU does when the diagonal thing happens.
Unread 11th October 2018, 08:43 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

I just looked at the Active AWD app and it only works on 2012 or later vehicles.
Unread 12th October 2018, 08:54 PM
Forum Member

Oh man! I still don't have time to fiddle with FreeSSM. I am only ORSing in between tasks.

Anyway, @temmah will have some good info regarding CVT operations.
Unread 29th October 2018, 09:36 AM
Forum Member

I just found this video from a Subaruer trying to replicate the tests with the CVT. I tend to agree with his insights.

Some of the commenters are avid Subaruers, as well, and I notice they have CVTs as their transmission.

I agree that all vehicles have their own limit and with this particular model, the TCU might just be limiting damage to the transmission itself. Imagine it's just a belt taking a huge amount of that torque! Subaru's belts are more like chains, though. Now, with the dual x-mode, there is a chance that Subaru might have listened to the complaints/comments of their customers as the Deep Snow/Mud setting allows for more torque to be transferred.
Unread 29th October 2018, 04:49 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

So you can spend over $40,000 on a new Subaru that still cannot get up a hill. What a joke. That’s embarrassing. You can get a Subaru that can easily get up there for a lot less than half of that

Last edited by Rally; 29th October 2018 at 05:20 PM.
Unread 30th October 2018, 04:21 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Year: 2016
Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
temmah is on a distinguished road

Interesting. My forester does not behave like this. From what I can see in the video. If i stay steady on the acelerator It keeps trying to find traction. It moves power to different wheels, if they slip, it applys brake to the wheel. Sometimes I need to apply more accelerator. Sometimes I don't make it up. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I change my line.

Granted I won't go up a hill like @Rally can. No @Rally I'm not going to buy your car. Well I wish I could. But no.
Unread 30th October 2018, 07:25 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

That SJ was behaving like the SH did in my video, with less wheelspin.

Go on, you know you want it. ��
Unread 2nd November 2018, 09:17 AM
Forum Member

Since the US market didn't have the dual range, maybe they just got used to using momentum when tackling such obstacles.

I am truly interested in the secrets here. Some are saying their vehicles perform better with more controlled throttle than at full but I cannot really think of it that much as I haven't driven any CVT car yet.

Tags
cvt, offroad, outback