OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Suspension, Handling and Brakes

Notices

Unread 23rd September 2018, 06:09 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1999
Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
Dedman is on a distinguished road

So my hotbits have arrived today and so far everything is going to plan. They appear to be made to the specs I asked for and look to be well made.

However, I am struggling to understand the requirement to modify the rear top hats to achieve more travel. In my mind modifications will not result in any extra travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
Yes ! But you will also have to custom build a rear upper spring seat like shown on this picture :

Since this picture, the sides have been cut smaller, 1cm high from the inside because of the barrel type Eibach springs
Hotbits claim their bump stops will compress from 60mm to 30mm.

When I put the hotbits tophat all the way down with the bump stop in place and then without the bumpstop the change in position is 34mm so theoretically the bumpstop will reach maximum deigned compression before the hotbits tophat will bottom out. All the hotbits tophat will do is offset the spring ~40mm lower but I do not see that as a problem? Am I missing something?

Unread 23rd September 2018, 08:37 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedman View Post
Am I missing something?

Matching tracking bracelet for your right ankle?
Unread 23rd September 2018, 10:28 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: SG Forester XS
Transmission: 1.447 Low SG Manual
Red XS is on a distinguished road

Some of the shaft length is wasted in the oem tophat. Goal is to have the bump stop as high up on the shaft as possible so that the shaft can compress more before bottoming out bumpstop. The oem tophat still wastes some shaft length either way. I couldn't see a way of getting back that much more shaft length without buying slimmer tophats.

Also, your tophats look different to mine. Maybe they updated the design. Is the silver thing part of it?
Unread 23rd September 2018, 11:11 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red XS View Post
Some of the shaft length is wasted in the oem tophat. Goal is to have the bump stop as high up on the shaft as possible so that the shaft can compress more before bottoming out bumpstop. The oem tophat still wastes some shaft length either way. I couldn't see a way of getting back that much more shaft length without buying slimmer tophats.
Yeah I get that about 20mm of the shaft is lost in the top hat. But apart from the maybe 5mm of thickness of the hotbit top spring seat the bump stop is pretty much as high as it can go on the shaft when using the hotbits gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red XS View Post
Also, your tophats look different to mine. Maybe they updated the design. Is the silver thing part of it?
I think the silver thing is an adaptor to make the tophat fit the Ebiach springs better. They asked me what springs I was going to be running during the order process. It is a very good fit on the springs.

I did notice the top adjustment shafts on mine are a lot shorter than yours. They only stick out of the thread about 10-15mm which is going to put the knobs in an interesting position when the tophats are in place.
Unread 23rd September 2018, 11:17 AM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

Seems on the picture that HotBits changed the design of the upper spring perch. How does the upper spring perch assemble to the Subaru top hat ?

Because I'm more of a crawler, I've cut half of the bumpstops off to gain a bit of up travel.
Unread 26th September 2018, 07:43 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1sf5 View Post
Seems on the picture that HotBits changed the design of the upper spring perch. How does the upper spring perch assemble to the Subaru top hat ?
Like this.

Do you still think a modified Subaru tophat is required?
Unread 26th September 2018, 08:02 AM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

That looks like it's designed perfectly to go there. No modifications required, unless I'm missing something??
Unread 26th September 2018, 08:59 AM
Forum Member

That is my thought exactly. Will be interested to hear JF1SF5s comments as he saw a need for the modification. Maybe Hotbits have changed their design to address the issues he identified.
Unread 26th September 2018, 08:59 AM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

@Dedman, you are using an SF rear top hat and it looks like it fits perfectly. I can't remember why I went the SG path though. The other difference is you have the spring seat flange on the inner diameter of the spring.

The only concern is when on full compression, will the flange, because it is fixed and the shaft/shock is slightly moving, come in contact with the shock housing ?
Unread 26th September 2018, 09:07 AM
Forum Member

I didn't even consider the SGs would be different. I will sus out which work best when I remove the struts from my SG. My SF ones are a bit shagged so I am hesitant to use them.

I don't think the alignments will be a huge issue on full compression although I am not certain how much lateral movement will be in the rubber bush. Might have to investigate further.