ratters

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
L Series
Transmission
5MT
Hi guys,

I'm interested in comments from people who have converted an L series wagon to an EJ motor and what the low end torque was like after.

I just did a fairly difficult 4WD trip which involved some very long and steep sections of track, and my mate in his old suzuki vitara was able to go much slower up the hills, I always had to wait for him to finish a section before I started because I would catch up to him otherwise. The EA18 motor didnt have the low end torque to just putt up the hill slowly so I felt like I was always racing up the steep parts just so I could maintain momentum.

This is with my L series in low range and 27" tyres.

Hopefully this year I get around to doing the EJ conversion but I'm curious now about how it goes after that.

Cheers,
ratters

With an EJ in it, you'll get up those hills even quicker. :)

Don't know if anyone's actually answered your question!

The EJ25 is renowned for having a very flat torque curve. Not sure about the '20 or '22.

Don't forget gearing. If you have a decent (eg: EJ20 Foz) dual range then you'll have no issues.

Assuming the Vitara doesn't have massive tyres, then your 1st gear low range is not as low as a vitara's 1st gear low range. The extra torque of an EJ will allow you to use slighty lower rpm, but you still won't be able to go as slow as the Vitara due to gearing.

Thanks for the replies.

@ Red_XS - that is probably what I was wondering really, how it would compare afterwards. As I understand the L series low range is as low as you can get in a Subaru? A lower low range would be really handy.

I have not really fully decided on the gearbox yet, as much as I am leaning towards using an AWD box I feel like I want to keep the PT4WD box for its offroad ability. I also have a suretrack LSD centre diff at home ready to swap into my R160 but have not gotten around to it yet.
Also waiting for my garage to be completed so I actually have somewhere to do all this, once that goes up the old wagon is getting stripped!

Thanks for the replies.

@ Red_XS - that is probably what I was wondering really, how it would compare afterwards. As I understand the L series low range is as low as you can get in a Subaru? A lower low range would be really handy.

I have not really fully decided on the gearbox yet, as much as I am leaning towards using an AWD box I feel like I want to keep the PT4WD box for its offroad ability. I also have a suretrack LSD centre diff at home ready to swap into my R160 but have not gotten around to it yet.
Also waiting for my garage to be completed so I actually have somewhere to do all this, once that goes up the old wagon is getting stripped!

.. waiting for el freddo to chime in here - but I think he built up an EJ AWD box with the L-series low range (1.59:1)

If you can get that low hooked up to your EJ - you'll be miles ahead.

El freddo has the 1.59 low ratio with the rare locking centre diff from an RX Turbo. He has had the pinion shaft cut and shut to be able to run 4.44 diff gears. Your gearbox has 1.59 low ratio (the lowest possible) and either 3.7 or 3.9 diff gears. To get it any lower, you'll have to get a custom pinion shaft and swap in 4.44 diff gears, or just put up with having slightly long gearing.

Alternatively, you could drop back to a 195R14 tyre, which is available from several manufacturers in a MT pattern, eg the Goodride SL366. This has an overall diameter of 668 mm or 26.3", so would have a similar effect to changing your diff gears to 4.44 but a lot less expense and hassle, at the trade-off of a slight reduction in clearance.

Search 195R14 on this website for details. They also list 27x8.5r14 tyres for comparison.

https://tyreshoponline.co.nz/

G'day Ratters.

With the suzuki - remember that they've probably got a 2:1 low range so it'll literally just about crawl up anything if it's got traction!

While it's been about ten years or so since dropping the trusty EJ22 into the L series, I can still say that it's definitely a must have mod for these vehicles.

After that the next thing to look into is the gearbox. As you've rightly stated, the L series low range is the best one you can get - but if you don't also have an appropriate diff ratio (final ratio) to match the tyre size you're running then it could be a massive waste of time.

Kiwifoz almost got it right - I've got 4.111:1 diff ratio (not the 4.44 - I can only wish!) in the L AWD box with an OBX Helical front LSD, 1.59:1 low range and SG forester drive gears (wider gear sets on 1st and 2nd, stronger case) with a liberty 5th ratio which I'd like to swap out for something a little shorter.

You have several options.
1) get an SF foz gearbox and "drop" that in. I say "drop" as you'll need the tail shaft and gearbox crossmember custom made/modified, and you may need to do the same with the gear shifter linkages - but I'm uncertain about this as I've not done it.

2) also get an SF foz gearbox - fit the L series low range in the SF box. Use Phinzina's guide here. You can also shave the crown wheel of the diff (big ring gear) to clear the L's low range. The way Phiz does it works too as he's shown. Drop a 27 tooth speedo drive gear in as this will match your L series speedo.

3) just put up with the L series factory gearbox with the larger tyres and enjoy the EJ22.

The other option is to drop in an EA81 push rod engine most commonly found in the brumby.

The EA81 is a stocky, "high torque" at low rev engine in comparison to the EA82, which is more of a happy revving engine. The EA81 block will drop straight in, the flywheel will need the step shaved down (details online somewhere, I can't remember what it is) and your EA82 inlet manifold will bolt directly onto the EA81. What I don't know how to work out is the AC and PS setup adaptation to the EA81 without the EA81 turbo fan belt setup/system - which is the same as the EA82.

Have fun with the mods!

Cheers

Bennie

Back