OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Trip Reports

Notices

Unread 9th January 2019, 03:18 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for the feedback. This was in the pipeline for a long time! I need to work on that next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temmah View Post
Awesome trip report. Sounds like a great trip. I really like your camp setup / kitchen cabinet. When you get it finished I would like to see a few pictures.
For sure. Itís in the shed waiting... it uses the connect-it square tube system and a cut down SCA tool box. I went with the tool box as it was cheaper material wise than buying sheets of tin from Bunnings.
The tray you see in the pic flips up over the stove and helps secure the stove when in transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulagarl View Post
Nice one Bennie. I do miss MW Victoria. One day...
Yeah mate I love this area. Iím finding the Murray Sunset NP only good for touring, itís easy going and thereís are a number of tracks that could easily be traversed by a 2wd in good conditions.
Big Desert and the Wyperfeld areas are the best areas to be in the Vic deserts.

So what are you doing in 2019?

Next trip out that way Iíd like to venture further west into the Ngarkat park - and pay the fees for the privilege... just to see what else is in this area. And weíre looking at another Robe trip as itís been a while. I just hope the roadies will be good in the beach sand...

Also, this is the video as made by Mitre. Part 1 is the shenanigans prior to meeting up with the rest of the crew. Part 2 is the Thompsonís Peak shenanigans and part 3 is the border track:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

One thingís for sure, we need more L series action out there!

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 9th January 2019, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Looks like a lot of fun was had!
www.subaruclub.com.au
Unread 9th January 2019, 10:24 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2000
Model: EZ30R Forester
Transmission: Dual range manual
Dulagarl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
So what are you doing in 2019?

Next trip out that way Iíd like to venture further west into the Ngarkat park - and pay the fees for the privilege... just to see what else is in this area. And weíre looking at another Robe trip as itís been a while. I just hope the roadies will be good in the beach sand...
Big year work wise, but it would be nice to think that I would have broken the back of it by winter. Will keep in touch. Would be interesting to try the vehicle on heavy sand now that it has a 20kg centre diff, KAAZ clutch diff in the rear as well as the torsen in the front. Its been almost unstoppable in the high country!
Unread 10th January 2019, 04:40 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

From looking at this footage it seems that the old Landie made easy going of sand hills that stopped Subies. I would be interested in observations of those who were actually there as to why this might be when I would have expected otherwise.
Unread 10th January 2019, 10:01 PM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Outback. JDM TT conversion
Transmission: 5MT DR
duncanm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
From looking at this footage it seems that the old Landie made easy going of sand hills that stopped Subies. I would be interested in observations of those who were actually there as to why this might be when I would have expected otherwise.
There's something to be said for slow and steady with a lazy engine that doesn't drop off the torque curve at low revs.

I imagine true 4wd and diffs had much to do with it, too. There was noticeable subaru front-wheel spinning without much drive evident at the rear.
Unread 11th January 2019, 07:31 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

I was thinking it was more likely related to ground clearance. The Subarus looked like they were dragging their underbellies just before pulling up whereas the Land Rover was well clear. I can't see it being related to "real 4X4" because this would then mean that even the Prado should do better but this did not seem to be the case.
Unread 24th January 2019, 09:05 PM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
I was thinking it was more likely related to ground clearance. The Subarus looked like they were dragging their underbellies just before pulling up whereas the Land Rover was well clear. I can't see it being related to "real 4X4" because this would then mean that even the Prado should do better but this did not seem to be the case.
Yeah itís a good question as to why the landie did well on most things. I think a lot of it simply came down to appropriate gearing. The issue was when the sand softness changed mid climb where it could bog down or just dig holes due to lack of momentum. I will say the diesel sounds nasty when revving high compared to the subiís petrol engines revving high. Chalk and cheese.

As for the Prado, weíll a few things come to mind. Heavier than the landie Iíd imagine, it was the first time the driver had been offroad in the week and a half of vehicle ownership too! So it was a learning curve for her to read the track and decide when to go hard or when to take it easier. Usually if the lead vehicle (disco) said ďgo hard for this oneĒ you didnít need to.

Iím looking forward to getting out here again this year. Just trying to decide when and how to do it - easter holidays or sept holidays. Do Robe/Beachport, returning through the SA/Vic Border desert areas then 4wd hopscotching our way home from there... weíll see what happens!

Iím also keen to do another Walhalla trip - after watching a few of Nachaluvaís videos out there that big has definitely bitten good and proper! For a trip like this the Easter holidays are usually the best time to go due to a general lack of rainfall, meaning the creeks and rivers arenít flowing high.

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 3rd February 2019, 07:38 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Excellent trip report & some great photos.

I had a ball! It was the first time driving the SH offroad & I kept forgetting to turn the TC off whenever I restarted the engine. Veeerrryyy noticeable how it bogs you down with it on!

Very impressed with the VDC on soft rutted sand. Really made it easier. I thought it was pretty chewed up this time compared to other trips here, the diagonally opposite ruts were very deep & regular, making grip difficult.

On the 1st day, I had a problem with my front swaybar clunking badly. I thought this was a broken or worn endlink but I couldn't see anything obvious. When I got back to Melbourne, I found I was missing a swaybar bush! It was completely gone haha. I ordered some HD endlinks and swaybar bushes & all was good.

This is the one to get for those with a 2" or 2.5" lift:
https://www.whiteline.com.au/product...ber=KLC140-090

Overall, the trip was lots of fun & it was great catching up with old mates & meeting new ones

Tags
border track, el_freddo, trip report