Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
As one of my front shocks is starting to fail, does anyone have any recommendations on replacements?

MY05 model, 2.5" strut lift on the front, if that makes any difference. Not looking for anything crazy, before anyone suggests Hotbits - If I'd known about them before I put the lift in I might have been tempted..

Better ride than OEM would be good,

Not sure that iincreasing the travel would be possible due to the lift Unless that wouldn't be a problem..? I don't want to risk axles falling out (if that's possible at full droop - my mechanic thought it might happen.

The other thing I've wondered about is if there's a slightly shorter strut than OEM but with longer travel (is that even physically possible), Ludicrous huh.

The ones in the rear are Ok, so I'd rather not do them yet..

KYB have a good reputation - I used them before I went with custom struts.

custom struts? care to share any more information?? :)

OEM struts & springs have the best ride, aftermarket struts & springs are firmer.

KYB struts are good or see if Gabriel do them, I have them for the rear & am very impressed.

SG XT struts have 1/2" more travel than SG NA struts. You won't have to worry about the axles falling out lol

OEM struts & springs have the best ride, aftermarket struts & springs are firmer.

KYB struts are good or see if Gabriel do them, I have them for the rear & am very impressed.

SG XT struts have 1/2" more travel than SG NA struts. You won't have to worry about the axles falling out lol

All good information cheers!

Interestingly, the Gabriel Front struts have only one type for the SG9, regardless of turbo or not.
lgAAAABJRU5ErkJgggA=

Having read through this, I have questions! - not just specific to you, but anyone that can contribute :)

Is it possible to put Koni inserts into the OEM front struts? If so, any idea of pricing?

If anything, I'd prefer a softer ride than OEM rather than harder.

Lastly, should I, or do I have to, replace the springs at the same time?

Mine were in OEM struts, just not OEM specific to my model ;-)

The Konis have adjustable dampening so you can change depending on conditions.

Keep your springs if they are in good condition.

Search for "koni" here and also search for "koni inserts" at subaruforester.org as these may give you some ideas.

Also watch this [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSnNZt3NiI"]Official KONI strut inserts or "Cut-A-Strut" installation procedure - YouTube[/ame]

A '99 Liberty I think - chosen because of a thicker strut body wall.

A '99 Liberty I think - chosen because of a thicker strut body wall.

A thicker strut body wall sounds like a good thing to have. :)

Ok, so my mechanic has suggested three brands for replacement that shouldn't break the budget..
1. Pedders.
2. KYB.
3. Monroe.

Of the three, which would people recommend?
In the old days, I'm sure I recall Monroe as having a pretty good reputation - but they are the most expensive, by about $80 a strut.

I don't have any tools (i.e. spring compressor) to change my rear struts so I am choosing Pedders.

Last edited by a moderator:
if i could add to it , as much as i read KYB's are best way to go . but then i heard about Pedders. they even sold in my country. but cost more then KYB's i think.
so how to know when struts really gone. if its not swinging or anything like if you press car its not bouncing , but maybe it could be harsh on road still ? like if its corrugations its feels like you drive on wooden struts . it really feels so harsh .

First I've heard that Monroe make struts for Subies - but yes from my distant past they do have a good reputation. Maybe they're a relatively new offering - I'd give them a go for sure.

KYB are the OEM manufacturer so are very good. But I would put Gabriel above them. I have Gabriel on the rear in mine & I'm very impressed with the abuse they've handled, incl 10,000kms of outback roads severely overloaded

@PauSum
I'm not sure I follow you? Pedders have the spring built in so you can't change them?
@Kevin https://www.monroe.com.au/trade-cor..._make=SUBARU&cat_model=Forester&cat_year=2004

I did a little 'research' (thanks google). most comparisons are pretty out of date but generally suggest that Pedders were the most expensive of the three, which is odd, because they are now the cheapest! - so probably come out of China now.
Monroe afaik are still manufacturing in Adelaide.

Some of the info I found suggested that Pedders were just a rebadged Monroe, but more expensive, so I am guessing that's changed.
@scalman you're probably paying more because they're an Australian Brand I doubt they're made in Europe and have to be shipped...! that's just a wild guess though. :)

There's a couple of recalls on Pedders shocks on the ACC website, none for Monroe and none for KYB. one of the Pedders recalls is from last year. which isn't positive for them..

I might get a quote from another mechanic (supposedly the Subaru Guru up here - pity he's about 60k's away..) see what he suggests.

Last edited:
I just got kyb based on the reviews and recommendations.

Shocks.com for the best pricing I've found online. Fast shipping too.

Having read through this, I have questions! - not just specific to you, but anyone that can contribute :)

Is it possible to put Koni inserts into the OEM front struts? If so, any idea of pricing?

If anything, I'd prefer a softer ride than OEM rather than harder.

Lastly, should I, or do I have to, replace the springs at the same time?

do this:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSnNZt3NiI"]Official KONI strut inserts or "Cut-A-Strut" installation procedure - YouTube[/ame]

KYB are the OEM manufacturer so are very good. But I would put Gabriel above them. I have Gabriel on the rear in mine & I'm very impressed with the abuse they've handled, incl 10,000kms of outback roads severely overloaded

Oh I didn't notice this post. I had thought about Gabriel. Might look into those a little more.

Will Gabriel give a similar ride to OEM?

Back