• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Portal Axles

I don’t like canaries. So probably not an option

omg portals . looks like car is not attached to wheels haha. terible. maybe with much much larger wheels and put all that more to center.

portal axles

Seeing portal axles are only suitable for off road use, if you managed to fit them to a Subaru you would need to buy a Jeep and a car trailer to get your Subaru to a place where you can use it and that would pretty much be restricted to private property in Australia as vehicles used in national parks and in forestry areas must be legal and road registered.

Portal axles are available as a bolt-in for 2007 and later Jeep Wranglers so you might as well sell the Subaru and buy a Jeep. Even then it could still only be driven on private property.

well all things could be said : if you this then do that ... my saying is if you need to put more then 1k into subaru , then better just buy newer model of subaru. if you know your subaru gonna suck at offroad course just dont buy that model or subaru at all.

Portal axles would be great for a rock crawler, but that's not what you get a Subaru for. I had a chance to buy these but decided against it for practicality as well as legal reasons

Even then it could still only be driven on private property.
pretty much rules out 95% of offrroading in Australia lol

I saw land cruiser 79 series with portals and overlanding in australia no prob.
You couldnt even tell from look. So it can be legal in some places and drive fine. And have good mpg as well.

Last edited:
I wonder what the powers that be determined was the factor in making them illegal here..
It's not a suspension lift, it's not a body lift and it's not an increase in tyre size..!
They're the only things I've seen covered when it comes to a lift.

Or is it considered a suspension lift?

edit: According to Marks 4wd, they're completely legal here, but getting wheels and tyres to fit that would be legal is nigh on impossible for us subagroovers.

Yes they must be legal here in some form as my son's Unimog has portal axles as a standard part of its build.

They may be legal if an OEM option. That way they would be engineered to a high enough standard plus all the other components, eg struts, strut mounts, etc, would also be engineered to match.

Adding a 10kg lump at the end of the strut is going to have dramatic effects on the strength of the strut, control arm, lateral arm, trailing arm, strut mount, strut tower/chassis, steering tie rods, ball joints, etc. It will also need stiffer springs & matching strut valving. It will also affect the steering feel. So many things for an engineer to assess before he would pass this

I was the one who said they were for off road use only so I'll need to clarify my comment.

If you can get engineering approval, almost anything can be legal. Have you ever seen a Holden station wagon running on a Toyota Landcruiser chassis and running gear? It's been done. The problem with getting engineering approval for portal axles is exactly because of the issues mentioned by Nachaluva. They were designed for use on heavy equipment with live axles. They have been released as an OEM option on Unimogs and at least one Volvo heavy duty vehicle I am aware of. Apparently they can be had for some Landrovers as well and there is one company in Australia offering them for Cruisers and Patrols (with 2 live axles). They have done all the ground work for engineering approval and you pay for it ($17-25 K) for an installation. Nobody has engineered them for a Subaru so in that application they would not be able to be legally used on-road.

Another issue is that they increase the wheel track significantly which, in some states of Australia is permissible on vehicles with live axles both front and rear but certainly not on a Subaru. You can only increase your wheel track by 25mm and the tyres are not permitted to rub on any bodywork, even on full lock.

That brings you to the final straw for the camel's back, tyres and rims. Without a massive change in offset, which you can't do anyway, you would need to go to 18 inch rims or even bigger and if you want off road tyres to fit them. they will never fit in the wheel arch.

So, in conclusion, although, in theory, they can be legal for some vehicles under the right circumstances, this will never be the case for a Subaru or any other 4X4 that doesn't have 2 live axles.

no reason subaru ever would need portal axles anyway.

Pinzgauer, Hummer H1 have independant suspension front and rear with portal axles...

Portal beam axles
191aqxcuokb8fjpg.jpg

but toyota Mega Cruiser suspension on portals is even more impressive then hummer. it doesnt have those large arms going down.
Toyota-Mega-Cruiser-civilian-version-8-6490-default-large.jpeg

plus rear wheel steering
ext01_1024.jpg

just imagine places you could go with it and drive through anything
toyota-mega-cruiser-04.jpg

very smart and simple construction
DSCN6926_zps8sdbnsms.jpg

and brakes are not on wheels. brakes are on diff axless

Last edited:
Designed and built for portals as well.

Probably needs 4 wheel steering to have any sort of turning circle - and it's probably the same as a live axle landcruiser...

Looks like a very slick hummer, I like the look of it ;)

I wonder if it's got front and rear lockers :poke:

One thing I don't like is the in board brakes, I'd rather not have a cv axle between the brakes and the wheel, but that's just me...

Cheers

Bennie

toyota BXD10 Mega Cruiser have all 3 locking diffs , center as well. constant air preasure in tires on 2 positions 2,4 or 1 . and army models colors looks better for me but they not so comfy inside as those white ones

2046412.jpg

russians import them as overland 4wd cars. they import them as parts ad then taking all that together.and giving it its name "expedit"
15l/100km fuel usage , max speed 130km/h. turning radius 5.6m

space inside is amazing
1100-i6.jpg

original.jpg

street version BXD20 modified
BatQPty.jpg

Back