• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Tow strap

I would have thought that it was (far) too short, TB!

When using tow rope (it's been nearly 40 years since I towed another vehicle), I used about 10 metres. Obviously, any tow rope/strap will be subjected to fairly severe abrasion in short order ...

I've used mine a few times for a tow strap over short distances. Doesn't leave much room for someone without a brake booster to stop before ramming into you.

Problem is I'm the sucker in front...

If your in a pinch you can use an equaliser strap, but a tow strap is longer gives a little more safety, and the webbing is usually a bit more robust to rubbing on the ground, equaliser/snatch straps loose strength quickly from small abrasions in the fabric.

That said I've also towed with a snatch strap, the bounce back is crazy. I spent a few km hoping the tow point wasn't going to snap off and fly forward.

Thank you for all your replies. so the question is now what would be the best to use as tow strap (chain, tow rope, seatbelt webbing)?
Cheers.

You can get a dedicated tow strap from most auto parts stores & online. Also makes a good extension strap when snatching, add to the snatch strap for those times you can't get close, eg, on a steep slippery hill

Most auto stores, or some heavy rope. Shouldn't be more than 30 bucks.

A winch extension strap will do the job as well. (I really like those solid tow poles though; must investigate them further and/or make one)

Back