Matching Subi bolt pattern & off-set for trailer hubs.

Barry

Forum Member
Matching Subi bolt pattern & off-set for trailer hubs.

As per the title, I want to change the hubs on my camper trailer to match my subi wheels.
  1. What is the designation of the Subi 5 stud wheel pattern - does it have a generic 'name', as do Fords, etc? Are most Japanese 5 stud patterns identical?
  2. How does one measure wheel off-set? I need to do this to determine whether I will need a new axle for my trailer.
  3. Does anyone know of suppliers in Melbourne who would stock these hubs for trailers? (I'm just after un-braked hubs, my trailer is only light.)
Ratbag, where did you get your hubs and axles for your trailer project?

As I already have 2 spares on my Outback this mod will let me ditch the spare under the front of the trailer. This will both reduce the 'ball weight' at the towing hitch and make it much more convenient to access the spare when I have a flat on the trailer.

If I subsequently re-locate the trailer spare to the tail gate I will then have 3 spares in all and even better weight distribution. :raz:

Last edited:
Barry,

You could worry about measuring offset but the number doesn’t really matter. If you already have the wheels what you want to know if they will fit with the current axle and new hubs – all trailer hubs I have come across have the same relationship with the mating face, bearings and stub axle so new hubs will have the mounting face in the same place as the old ones relative to the axle.

The easy way is see if the new wheels will fit is to take a wheel off the trailer and measure from the face where the wheel mates to the closest part of the trailer, then measure the back space on the wheel (strait edge across the back of the wheel measure the distance from the strait edge and the mating face of the wheel). The gap between the mounting face on the trailer hub and the trailer should be 20mm larger then the measurement off the wheel. (Does that make sense????)

Subaru bolt pattern (outback, forester, impreza) spacing is 5 x 100pcd metric 12mm studs x 1.25 pitch you will need to get the hubs specially drilled and have the studs put in I haven’t seen them off the rack.

Trap for new players check the wheel nuts supplied with the hubs are the same size as the car!!!! (Don’t ask how I know)

I don’t know a trailer place in Melbourne- I am sure someone will pipe up

[*]Does anyone know of suppliers in Melbourne who would stock these hubs for trailers? (I'm just after un-braked hubs, my trailer is only light.)
[/LIST]Ratbag, where did you get your hubs and axles for your trailer project?

As per your question here;

my answer is here

Make sure there is sufficient clearance between tyres and trailer sides, and that the tyres still fit within the mudguards - required for it to be roadworthy.

My own trailer rebuild thread is here

Good luck with it all mate.

Thanks Ratbag, my 'oldtimers' disease is obviously getting worse - I forgot I had already asked and you had answered these questions. :lol:

This thread came up in a web search for fitting Subaru wheels to my trailer. I think this link might be helpful for anyone else stopping by. Ark now makes the non-braked hubs for trailers. They might also make braked versions.https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/arkcorp-186sh150

These units from UK don't specify PCD on 5 bolt hubs. Sorry

I just went down to my local trailer guy ( Warpac in Cairns) and he ordered a couple of 5 x 100 hubs for me. I took one of the original hubs in for him to check the bearings (ford or holden I think) and he had them within the week. $60.00ea or therabouts.
Went home, packed the bearings and put on the hubs. The Suby wheels I had went on, job done.
Then I changed the axle from over the springs to under the springs to bring it back up to hieght, job done.

I was converting from off road wheels & hubs, plus the trailer is a custom build so I already knew I had plenty of room to play with. Mind you, trailer looks a bit silly with road tyres on it, once they've done their time I'll put the same tryes I'm running on the Foz on it so I'll end up with 4 spares for the car if need be. :)
thread here

end result:
fJgVoKKl.jpg

If anybody's interested in a low cost massive camper trailer tent fits a 7X4 (even 6X4) trailer (18' Austrack tent full annex & walls $2600 new plus extra spreader bars for the roof, I'll take $1500ono for it), I'll be selling it at the end of the year as I'm planning on making a custom tent based on a hard shell roof top tent sort of design. You've got to come up to Cairns to get it, bring your own trailer!

Last edited:
Back