Leather Care

dirtyRU

Forum Member
Haven't seen this one posted anywhere, so i figured i would ask. What do you think is a solid product for conditioning the leather in subarus? The wipes are crap, i don't like the sprays that claim to be a conditioner when they seem more like a cleaner. I've tried saddle soap, but that product would seem to be best suited on the tan leathers like you see in the ford king ranch trucks.
Would really like something that soaks in, restores & protects! What'd ya say? :poke:

The leather in your Subaru is Wollsdorf Passport leather from Austria - it is some of the best in the world. It is Aniline corrected grain leather, the hide of an animal and has to be cared for to last.

The 3 main enemies of leather are:-
1. UV rays from sunlight
2. Perspiration from human skin
3. Dirt and soiling

How to prevent these 3 factors occurring?
1. Always try and park your car in the shade as much as possible, and have a garage for it at your residence.
2. Never sit on leather seats without your shirt on, and avoid wearing shorts as the under part of your upper leg is in contact with the leather.
3. Clean your seats regularly with neutral soap and water, and apply beeswax-lanolin based conditioner. (Neutral soap is soap like Sunlight Soap available in Super markets) and will save you a lot of money!

The suns UV rays cause the leather to dry out a crack in time. The perspiration also has the same effect, but even more so (It will even make vinyl go hard and crack up as well) and because leather is a porous surface, the pores clog up with dirt if not cleaned and it can't breath,so breaks down.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use any leather treatment product that has silicone in it.

The safest to use is Connolly Hide Care (Jaguar Hide Care), or Pelle leather cleaner and conditioner. These are beeswax, lanolin, water based as they do not contain Silicone.

All leather manufactures strongly advise avoiding silicone,as it clogs the pores of the leather and causes it to break down in time.

Wow, now im glad I have nice comfy cloth seats.

They might take abit of vacuming to clean the beach sand, but with seat covers they are reasonably protected.

I drive and sit in the seats without a shirt on often, my car is in the sun for 8+ hours every day. Sometimes with a sun shield up in the windscreen.

Love my Subie. Heaps more comfy than a commodore.

Agreed- I much prefer cloth. Especially in summer!

Agreed- I much prefer cloth. Especially in summer!
Me too. But the main reason I chose cloth over leather when I bought my Forry, was to do with it being much more pet friendly.
Especially when you have 2 Shepherds travelling in the car with you.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Great info, Thanks Rally!

I'm like you guys, i love cloth. Mostly for the softness & especially in the winter time until the seats heat up! But when it comes to maintaining it, i still think leather is the better option. The cloth attracts & holds everything that touches it (hair, dirt, liquids), and the leather just wipes clean! It's almost like deciding "hmm.. carpet or tile for that section of the house".
I knew it had to be a diff kind of leather though from the way other products take to it. But with my '99 being 12yrs old now & the previous owner being quite heavy, there's still not a crack in the leather! It's thick leather too, so it's still pretty soft for it's age.
She's not as hefty as a shephard, but 55lb basset hound of ours has yet to put a single tear in the leather furniture of our house.
Speakin of them, how's your pup doin now Mr T? Still recovering good?

She's not as hefty as a shephard, but 55lb basset hound of ours has yet to put a single tear in the leather furniture of our house.
Speakin of them, how's your pup doin now Mr T? Still recovering good?
He's getting better, slowly, very slowly, but he's getting there :ebiggrin: He took another bad turn about 7 or 8 days ago & I really thought I was going to loose him :cry:
However a slight change in his medication & its all good news :woohoo:
No holes or tears on the leather, wow thats great. Might have to concider leather next time then I think :iconwink: :)

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back