MiddleAgeSubie

Forum Member
Car Year
2018 / 2008
Car Model
4Runner / Tribeca
Transmission
5EAT
Perhaps it would help to know that I have had the ECU software modified to perform better off road. This affects the front/rear split and the responsiveness of the VDC. In effect it has given me X Mode without the hill descent control. I have not experienced the problems you mentioned and I have climbed some impressive hills on rock/gravel/clay mixed surfaces. As long as traction control is switched off, my tweaked VDC performs above expectations.

Sounds like a great mod!

[MENTION=15642]Beachworm[/MENTION], where did you get this mod done?

that mod would be amazing to have. i allways thought why not making some chip like or smt for those VDC so that you could mod them to grip more or let spin wheels more etc... would be amazing.

[MENTION=15642]Beachworm[/MENTION], where did you get this mod done?

Throttle Happy Tuning (Check their page on Facebook)

The guy who runs the business is Matt. He is based in Coffs Harbour NSW but travels around various places. He came to Brisbane for mine to be done and had several other customers waiting while I was there.

so he reprogram VDC ecu or what he did with it ? used computer or what ?

so he reprogram VDC ecu or what he did with it ? used computer or what ?

He plugged his laptop into the OBD2 port. I started the engine and he modified the ECU parameters (this took about 10 minutes) During this time I had to stop and start the engine a number of times. I then drove the car, stopping, braking and accelerating as instructed while he made more adjustments. (this took about another 10 minutes).

So its permanent changes? . Got it. And its only works on newer models i guess yes? Maybe someday someone will share how to do it or what software to use so more people could do it.

Romraider can acess vdc ecu and tweak it?
Would be amazing to separate TC from vdc so it wouldnt kill engine power.

So its permanent changes? . Got it. And its only works on newer models i guess yes?

It works on any ECU/TCU that isn't locked. Matt is a top engine tuner & can do this on all Subarus except the very early ones, unfortunately not my 97 Forester :(

CAUTION: Only use a reputable engine tuner with proven experience on your particular model and mods. Changing the tuning parameters can quickly blow the engine if not done right. The engine needs to be retuned if changes are made to the exhaust, intake, turbo, injectors, etc

Done properly, you get more usable torque with a better torque curve, better fuel economy, better reliability (ECU), no torque limiting in 1st gear, better shifting (auto) and better VDC

So it was maybe engine tuning not vdc itself and with that comes better vdc working, or its just vdc itself? It must be some likr chip or software that reconfigurates how vdc tries to stop wheels like new models got dual mode x mode. Would be cool hack vdc and like someone could make for it like 3 modes something like that.
On my case just have separate tc control from vdc would be nice so it wouldnt kill engine power for no reason

Engine tuning is controlled by the ECU
VDC, traction control, etc is controlled by the TCU
Braking is controlled by the BCU (brake control unit or braking computer)

They all speak to each other, eg, for traction control the BCU tells the TCU that one or more wheels are slipping. The TCU then tells the ECU to cut engine power.
For VDC, the TCU tells the BCU to apply the brakes & which one & by how much

These are all computers & can all be reprogrammed or "tuned"

This exactly what i thought when heard [MENTION=15642]Beachworm[/MENTION] mention he had his VDC moded. Its all just a computer.

Imagine if you could manually override the VDC on the fly. sending power forward and backward, and applying the brakes to wheels as required. Where the driver thinks the car has traction.

But as [MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] says, there is the risk of wrecking your engine/transmission.

Working in IT, i would love to play around with this, but i would need a test car to test it all on. And i cant afford to have my family car being used as a test car. hahaha

but as they made x mode and now dual mode x mode means they doing something there with that VDC software or what is responsible there for stuff . another thing is x mode just mode for VDC like is it separate thing that works without VDC ? i saw couple videos and they so wierd as person shows hes testing newer forester with x mode so he doing VDC off X mode ON ... like how thats works ? x mode without VDC ?

found that romraider web site have some stuff on outback VDC and non VDC cars modification and even some ECU editor for VDC . that could be interesting if its works
https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6762&start=60
those old posts there and noone updated any info there anymore does it means its just dead then ?

Back