OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Offroad and Touring Central > Risk Management and Off-Road Driving

Notices

Unread 15th March 2019, 10:09 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road
Default Recent news of severe and dangerous track vandalism

The metal spikes being found on tracks in the Toolangi State Forest?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...13-p513ro.html

Not cool in any shape or form! This is blatant disregard for other's safety. I hope they catch the mongrels!

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 15th March 2019, 06:52 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Yiikes. and here I was thinking it would be redneck hoons digging up the tracks.
This sounds more like militant greenies.
Unread 15th March 2019, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

That's really bad!
www.subaruclub.com.au
Unread 15th March 2019, 11:01 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
ABFoz is on a distinguished road

A Forester of one Redditor from Melbourne had all his four tyres punctured/knifed at a state park after a short stopover. He had to walk kms but luckily, somebody offered a ride back to town. Not sure if this is envy or jealousy as the track was rather technical, according to him. His Forester is not obnoxious at all as it is relatively stock.

I understand many would ask why we do what we do but it is our lifestyle. Those who do it also have their own hobbies or lifestyle. What can people be angry at us for, the use of the track to "protect nature?" People can be short sighted at times.
Unread 16th March 2019, 01:39 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1998
Model: Forester with a EJ22
Transmission: Manual 5 speed
1WD Foz is on a distinguished road

This bugs me quite a bit.
If Subaruís or larger 4wdís are sticking to the designated tracks and not trying to make their own tracks I donít see what the problem is, we all know not everyone does but that doesnít mean you target anyone on the Bush.
Thatís like me going out the front of my house and putting tacís or shards of glass all over the road because some people speed past my house which could endanger the local pedestrians, not thinking of the potential for serious harm or damage that could occur in the process.

As for people slashing tires.... thatís just wrong and I cringe at the thought of catching someone in the act of trying to do that to my SF or anyoneís car for that matter as I wouldnít be very happy to say the least.

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 16th March 2019, 09:49 AM
Forum Member

jf1sf5 is on a distinguished road

We had this happen about 10 years ago, all the big fourbies were damaged (tires, paint...) but its about over now. The Subarus were saved as they were not in the big fourbies category.
Unread 19th March 2019, 08:39 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1988
Model: EJ22'd L series
Transmission: Locking FT4wd 5spd Manual, 4.111:1 diff w 1.59:1 low range & front OBX LSD ;)
El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

The big concern is the safety aspect. Maybe not the flat tyres as speed would be relatively low before they’d become a real safety issue. That’s not to say it can’t be a safety issue.

The real issue in my mind is ppl perishing trying to get out to get help. Summer temps over here can be extreme, distances long and terrain tough. If someone can’t get out to raise the alarm it could be dire.

Then throw in rangers and the CFA/forestry crews that could also be operating in these areas, especially if there’s a bushfire burning nearby.

It’s a cowardly act that could have huge ramifications for innocent ppl going about doing what they love to do.

Cheers

Bennie
Unread 19th March 2019, 07:21 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

That's why I doubt seriously that it has anything to do with people who use the tracks. It's far more likely to be done by misguided environmentalists like those who drive big nails into trees that loggers intend to cut down, or someone who lives close enough to be bothered by noise, particularly from unmuffled trail bikes. There have been instances in the past where people have strung a single wire across a track at head/chest height to take out a bike rider.
Unread 24th March 2019, 08:13 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

I don't call myself a greenie but I sure as hell am a passionate environmentalist. What is happening to the forest in Toolangi is absolutely disgusting! This is the LAST stronghold of the Leadbeaters Possum, a critically endangered animal & Victoria's faunal emblem.

Toolangi is also home to giants...real giants. There used to be giant gum trees here that could have been 100m tall, making them the tallest trees in the southern hemisphere. Most have been logged.

Big gum trees are now protected (supposedly). Anything with a certain cisrcumference or bigger is protected by law & it is illegal to log or otherwise harm it.

A while ago, a massive gum tree was designated as protected, not only for its size but also that it had a family of Leadbeaters Possums living in it. A few weeks later, this tree was ringbarked then set on fire. No prizes guessing by who....

There are many, many cases of environmental vandalism in Toolangi. There is so much illegal logging in Victoria, it's shameful.
Do you get offended by illegal logging in the Amazon?
How about illegal logging in Indonesian rainforests?
Guess what, Australia is one of the top ten countries in the world for deforestation and a lot of that is illegal.
We are NUMBER ONE for species extinction!!!

What you all don't understand is there is a war going on. Extremist loggers vs extremist greenies. I choose neither side as any extremism is bad, whether its religious, environmental, political or whatever. Extremism is bad!!!

This spiking was done by extremist greenies as a response to extremist loggers. They should both be up on charges!

I'm not trying to defend the extremist greenies who did this, but I want everyone to understand why it was done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leadbeaters Possum 01.jpg (12.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_289836628698293.jpg (13.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1438982383219.jpg (16.4 KB, 5 views)
Unread 25th March 2019, 09:37 AM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

rant about the state of the planet in general not suited to offroadsubarus.com and thus deleted.

Last edited by Ben Up North; 25th March 2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: as above!

Tags
4wd'n, spikes, tracks, vandalism