Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > General Forums > The Relatives

Notices

Unread 12th December 2018, 09:28 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road
Default Rivian R1T / R1S perfect electric offroader?

how it goes and where

it looks like its made for adventures , off roading because it is. and from what guy says in video it sounds perfect.

wow 1m water fording , 200 to 365mm ground clearance with mind blowing torque sounds like it would go in any off road track with right tires.
Unread 12th December 2018, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Not sure I could get used to it's looks.
www.subaruclub.com.au
Unread 12th December 2018, 05:48 PM
Forum Member

I think we just used to how all those petrol cars look similar and how they should be made with engine in front mostly and all body details that are made for petrol or diesel engines and electric dont need any of that it be its own thing more practical for use all space that you can the better. And i allways looked at tesla x and thought that not bad and look like other suv's but how about more robust more adventures veahicle, and i think that would be good answer. I just become more open to looks i guess and this at first looked wierd now looks kinda cool.
And if this will suceed others will follow and for lower prices , so we need that too.
But im sure i liked how they used all space to put something here and there. Fridge in frunk and even air compressor inside allready. They like rly thinking of all those mods that ppl do for overland cars and saying Hey we allready have that for you so you just enjoy the ride.
Unread 12th December 2018, 05:53 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

Who makes it and where is it made?
Unread 12th December 2018, 06:11 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

American, which explains the design.
Unread 12th December 2018, 10:46 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

First time I hear about this. Amazing on paper, but who knows what will happen...it is so hard to start up a car business; just look at all the Tesla problems.

Finally, someone decided to put a motor on each wheel!

This will surely make the Toyota Land Cruiser/Prado platform vehicles, including mine, look like steam-powered engines!

If it ever gets produced, the first two model years should be a bargain around 2025 as electric vehicles continue to depreciate horribly here--and this one is a luxury vehicle at that. And if they are not falling a part...

Generally, I really want an electric vehicle at home, at least the second one, but our problem here is the extreme heat which greatly reduces the lifespan of batteries. Plus, the Tribeca should last another decade, ha!
Unread 13th December 2018, 06:16 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Beachworm is on a distinguished road

It's a very large vehicle, almost in the class of a Hummer. The long wheelbase would make for a poor ramp over angle and the width would keep it off any narrow trails.

I would also be interested to know how the in-wheel electric motors impacts on unsprung weight and therefore suspension response.

I think electric drive is the way things are heading for all vehicles but fluid drive is another interesting option. (https://www.lordsthelabel.com/ferox-...-road-vehicle/)
Unread 13th December 2018, 11:33 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
It's a very large vehicle, almost in the class of a Hummer. The long wheelbase would make for a poor ramp over angle and the width would keep it off any narrow trails.

I would also be interested to know how the in-wheel electric motors impacts on unsprung weight and therefore suspension response.

I think electric drive is the way things are heading for all vehicles but fluid drive is another interesting option. (https://www.lordsthelabel.com/ferox-...-road-vehicle/)

Hmm...the truck or the SUV? The SUV is just fine. It will get everywhere but ultra-narrow trails not suitable for any 4dr. The wheelbase of the new Wrangler is only a couple inches shorter than this one's yet they found a way to improve the steering so as to have no issues on tight trails. And, yes, they have not had any issues (with that!).

Rivian claim an unbelievable 30 degree brake-over angle, but it makes sense if it comes with an adjustable suspension. Consider that most are around 20, except 2drs, with Land Rover alone being substantially better than 20.

What I worry about is that it is a start up company. And it just sounds a little bit too good to be true. I mean, a new loaded Rubicon Unlimited is easily 60,000. A Land Cruiser, far less capable than what this promises to be, is 90,000. A base model Land Rover Discovery, also not comparable to Rubicon or this model, is 70,000. Tesla cannot build a basic Model 3 for 35,000 (apparently the so-called 35,000 model costs them 38,000 to produce) yet. So maybe the 70k easily becomes 100k for the SUV.

EDIT: in terms of running costs, it should be about 5 times cheaper to charge than my 4Runner is to fuel. No oil changes, no differential and transfer case to worry about. But if the battery craps on you after like 7-8 years...I imagine it will be a 15-20,000 expense....This is by far the one big issue with electrics today.

Last edited by MiddleAgeSubie; 13th December 2018 at 12:06 PM.
Unread 13th December 2018, 05:24 PM
Forum Member

that SUV platform look rly big and with both rear seats folded im sure you could just sleep there instead tent.

looks strong too, it was made with adventure in mind not city shoping for sure

i think good thing for them is that they just bought working Mitsubishi factory and just remade it to fit their needs, didint needed to build they own factory . thats more easy to start building cars.

Unread 13th December 2018, 05:57 PM
can only hope to improve

Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Looks like the motors aren't in the wheel, but located where the diff would be on a conventional transmission. I was wondering about that