What video cam would show closest to real life?

1WD Foz

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester with a EJ22
Transmission
Manual 5 speed
I wonder what type of video camera would show the closest actual footage to what we see out on the trail, because I too take many video’s only to watch them again and be disappointed with the footage.

Cheers

1WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

video blogers in youtube mostly using action cameras on cars inside , with gimbals when walking and shooting. quality depends on model and price. noone likes shaky/boaty videos . i stoped doing those kinda from car with phone. just too shaky can make some people sick.

You watch Bathurst on tv and even with all their resources and technology it still flattens everything. While I agree with Scalman about using better camera equipment, the best video I have seen to give a realistic feel to what it’s like on a skidpan was from a mobile phone. So I don’t know. I just have to refrain from looking at a video and saying it looks easy until better technology becomes available. 3D maybe?

I too think phone does it very well so phone with gimbal like dji mobile 1/2 thats like best gimbal for now for phones thats does so well .
For now i just put phone on something stable press record and run to car and drive. Thats one man video at its best :) but even better if someone would walk outside your car and point camera to best angles .

I too think phone does it very well so phone with gimbal like dji mobile 1/2 thats like best gimbal for now for phones thats does so well .
For now i just put phone on something stable press record and run to car and drive. Thats one man video at its best :) but even better if someone would walk outside your car and point camera to best angles .

I have good representation, as well, with the use of my phone. GoPro just distorts everything. I think the narrow angle lens helps in showing the incline properly.

I've used both GoPro and hand-held phone. The distortion of slopes isn't the fault of the GoPro, it's how and where it's mounted to the vehicle. Most people fit them as a dash cam and the vision is therefore parallel to the plane of travel of the vehicle. this means when going down hill or uphill or on a flat that you are seeing the road in exactly the same relationship to the plane in which the camera is mounted.

A hand-held camera used from inside the car looks different because there is a tendency to orient the camera more towards the plane of gravity, giving a little more realistic view of the slope, though not as good as a camera used by a third party outside the vehicle and aimed at an angle to the direction of travel.

The angle which gives the best representation of slope is 90 degrees to the direction of travel. The problem with this is that it can be problematic, except on very short up-hill journeys to find a suitable place for someone to get out and set up a camera.

A compromise is to use a dampened gimbal to hold your phone such as

[ame="https://www.amazon.com.au/Smooth-Q-Handheld-Stabilizer-Smartphone-Samsung/dp/B0732QXFBZ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1548133052&sr=8-4&keywords=camera+gimbal"]Zhiyun Smooth-Q 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer for Smartphone up to 220g or 6 inches i.e. iPhone X, iPhone 8 plus, Samsung Galaxy, Huawei Mate: Amazon.com.au: Electronics[/ame]

but go pro you need to buy it . phones we all have and use all time. go pro good to mount it outside on side in front or rear or under car if thats what you want. phone is still ok to record from inside with gimbal and outside other person can lean outside via window or roof and have very cool angles there again with gimbal. gopro or other action cam is must if you doing it with mountainbike or motorbike hiking or running, on boats and such .
and gopro cant deal with lots shakes it need gimbal then too.
better then phone+gimbal is just drone with gimbal and good camera.

[ame="https://www.amazon.com.au/Smooth-Q-Handheld-Stabilizer-Smartphone-Samsung/dp/B0732QXFBZ/"]Zhiyun Smooth-Q 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal Stabilizer for Smartphone up to 220g or 6 inches i.e. iPhone X, iPhone 8 plus, Samsung Galaxy, Huawei Mate: Amazon.com.au: Electronics[/ame]

i saw that tested vs others gimbals and dji mobile still better and cheaper even.

If you want to show how steep the track is, it needs to be done from outside the car from side on. Like this. This is the steepest track I've ever seen done (I chickened out with my near stock driveline lol. Def needs front & rear LSDs)

As a side note, notice the front wheel lift off several times. Each time, no wheel spin & no momentum was lost. This is a very well setup driveline, why I say this is the 2nd most capable Subaru on this forum behind Dedman's

https://youtu.be/2vvQXX0Fnok

nice outback there. i love those 1 st gen looks.

It’s hard to tell. On the steepest part I cannot see him lifting a front wheel. I think when it zooms in as the car gets near the top on those dips it might lift a wheel, because you can hear the engine revs quickly rise and fall, which is what you get with wheelspin. The video does well to indicate the steepness of the incline far better than my videos do. How far away from the car was the cameraman?

thats how we call it thats it. 1st gen and everybody knows what we talking about. and yes its legacy outback if you looking for parts. and yes first came from 1989 but they didint had outback name yet.
865972656.jpg

It’s hard to tell

Watch it again on a PC not a phone. It clearly lifts a wheel at 18sec & 22sec. I think also at 14sec, but only slightly. It's at the least unweighted

Yes, at 22sec the engine revs rise because both front & rear wheels are spinning & he is gunning it because he has hit a very tough section & doesn't want to stall out like he did on his previous attempt.

No rise in RPM at 14sec as he is being easier on the throttle.

Note that this is with soft OEM springs. ***'s unlikely this could be done with stiff raised springs, regardless of LSDs or a locker

Honestly, I find that shooting it from a distance, and zoomed in gives a much better representation of how steep/gnarly the terrain is. Up close (GoPro's) do not do anything justice.

With shooting pictures, I've noticed that with the naked eye, using a 50mm fixed prime lens gives you the most "true to your eye" view (for example, when you look through a camera, it looks like you have stepped backwards dozens of feet and have a wider angle than your eyes appear to have). A 50mm prime lens looks almost spot on from what your eyes see.

Back