Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2006 3.0R 5EAT Sportshift VDC/VTD LPG
Transmission
5eat Sportshift
I like new bfg ta km3 tires look
Air-Down-BFGoodrich-KM3-Mud-Terrain-Secret-Testing-5-27-16.jpg

Again they made them stronger and less noisy. Not that we need real mud tires so much on subarus still those would perform better in real mud.
I would be more interested in new ko3 model if they coule make it lighter and stronger.

I have KM2 MT on the Triton and they perform very well indeed. Would be too heavy for Subies. ;-)

You cannot have KO2 MT, probably mistyped KM?

I have become a tire aficionado, lol. My favorites at present are:

Nitto Ridge Grapler and P-metric Falken Wildpeak AT3W

I have the latter on the 4Runner and they are exactly as advertised, i.e. phenomenal at least outside mud. They have a reputation for scaring rock away and it is well deserved.

The only concern is that they are melting like butter, as did all my tires on the OB. Clearly, if you use the tires on a lot of rocky trails, they just don't last much. I know the KO2 factory expectation is 2000 miles on serious gravel at speed, like Baja racing.

I mean if they will make next ta ko2 version, there was ko1 next ko2 so new would be ko3 as bfg all terrain ko3

Would be too heavy for Subies. ;-)

Not that we need real mud tires so much on subarus still those would perform better in real mud.

Speak for yourselves guys, I have heavy light truck muddies on my little Subie & they're great! I know many others with muddies on their Subarus too.

Please don't do the "get a real 4wd" thing, our little Subarus deserve muddies, lockers, lifts, sump guards, snorkels & all the other 4wd accessories just as much as a big fat 4wd does. In fact, because we don't have lockers, you could say we need muddies more than the big fat 4wds do!! :sad:

And what about little Suzukis? A Jimny is even smaller than a Subaru & muddies make them a real weapon offroad...

I haven't seen the KM3 but the KM2 looks good. Would probably be my next choice of mud tyre (yes, for my Subaru lol). I love the Kumho KL71s I have currently, brilliant offroad & surprisingly good onroad for a muddy, but they're directional which is a pita

I have heavy light truck muddies on my little Subie

So are they heavy or light :lol:

I'm not saying our Subies shouldn't have MTs but maybe something lighter than KM2s as they are really heavy suckers. I occasionally drive another Triton exactly like mine which has BFG ATs and it feels like a go-cart compared to mine with KM2 MTs.

Of course the Jimny is more like a "proper 4WD"; I like to think of them as mini Landcruisers. With live axles and low range they are awesome little cars but with a 1.3 motor they need a few more rubber bands out on the highway :iconwink:

Haha, lack of punctuation lol. They're heavy, light truck tyres :lol:

Yeah I l,ike Jimnys, a mate has one & they are little dynamos offroad! Not sure I'd like to do any long distance driving onroad in one though

I didn't realise the KM2 were much heavier than the same size KO2, both are LT construction

they look cool from side almost same as Ko2. but they dont come in smaller sizes i guess.
BFGoodrich-Mud-Terrain-T-A-sup-KM3-sup_home_background_md.png

and those new tech in tire is allways good to make them even stronger and better grip

5% BETTER MUD TRACTION
Power through mud and loose soil with our Terrain-Attack tread design. Its massive tread blocks are designed to deliver incredible grip from any angle of approach, and Mud-Phobic Bars release compacted mud for continued traction.

8% BETTER ROCK TRACTION
Take on Earth’s toughest terrain with advanced Krawl-TEK compound that enhances grip on rock and slick surfaces. Plus, a Linear Flex Zone allows the tire to flex and envelop objects in aired-down driving situations.

27% TOUGHER SIDEWALLS
Go places others only dream of, thanks to race-proven advancements. CoreGard Max Technology uses a thick sidewall shield and specialized compound to help guard against sharp objects, while Traction-Armor Sidewall Sculpture helps prevent sidewall splitting.

images

images

introduction video is great very similar as they did for TA KO2 and main reasons why i chose that

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

and ppl sure running KM2 on their subies no problem. just they could be about 7lbs heavier then same size ko2. and as for me i found i loose torque faster then i ever lost grip on those ko2. so even heavier tire will impact on torque to ground even more.

i see km3 in my local shops allready couple sizes and they go about 140-170 euros , one which about same as ko2 cost. i payed for mines 136 for one.

They are pricey.

I hunted down the best possible deal on the Wildpeaks but even without a deal they are 70-80$ cheaper than KO2 in my size per tire; more so than KM2.

I was really undecided between the Ridge Grappler's even better off-road performance (mud, chiefly) and the Wildpeak's P-metric advantage (uniquely strong sidewalls for a P-metric coupled with P-metric advantages like better ride and no need to air down most of the time). So, the low price of the Falkens sealed the deal.

Ko2 are most expensive all terrain tires in this size that i could find. still.. they damn good. wildpeaks ATW was in my radar as well. but i needed snow tires as well then to be good on wet and dry and mud and not too noisy. and i would never need mud tires on my outback.

Ko2 are most expensive all terrain tires in this size that i could find. still.. they damn good. wildpeaks ATW was in my radar as well. but i needed snow tires as well then to be good on wet and dry and mud and not too noisy. and i would never need mud tires on my outback.

If you have the AT3W, consider them for your next set. They are winter rated as well and have better rain performance than KO2. Your Outback's AWD is masking the Ko2s deficiencies in rain. Plenty of complaints on the 4Runner forum (most 4runners are RWD on pavement).

I'm running these ATs at the moment. So far so good...

1. they seem to be a softer compound and hence quieter on the road. My vehicle is also prone to front brake caliper rattle, but this seems to have gone with these tyres.
  2. The tread is a bit chunkier than the previous model, and I now get minor rubbing of the rear inside of the left front tyre on full left steering lock. (i'm running 215 / 75 R 16).

Back