Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Lifted Liberty
Transmission
Man 5sp
Hi Folks, my first post here :)

Short version:

So I need suggestions for a 205 x 65? x 16 AT tyre. Looking for something that is similar in spec to the B'stone 697, quiet on road and has some reasonable chunk to it for slippery farm paddocks and bush tracks (not after some mud hill climbers). Needs to be < 686mm OD. But dont want to loost too much height so hoping ~660mm will work.

Back story- I have a 2001 Liberty that I have put higher (~25mm) springs in, and also a SubiLiftOZ 1 1/2" rear and 1" front lift on.

I fitted 215x65x16 Bridgestone 697 ATs with 686mm outside diam.

Problem (and I see others have had this issue on other cars) is that on full lock the rear inside edge of the front tyre contacts the steel body (no, not the plastic inner) and has started wearing it away, and no doubt the tyre.

I have a slight problem at the rear also where, due to prob only 10-15mm lack of clearance the wheels contact the mudguard and are wearing that through.

Also on the front there is SFA clearance to the base of the spring strut, and I see it is getting abraded by gravel and stones due to lack of clearance between it and the tyre. :-(

SOOO, I need to down size the tyres back to a 205. The B'stones I have been impressed with but I dont think they come in 205. Im also wanting to keep as much of the extra clearance from hight profile tyres as this is what all my mods have been about.

So I need suggestions for a 205 x 65? x 16 AT tyre. Looking for something that is similar in spec to the B'stone 697, quiet on road and has some reasonable chunk to it for slippery farm paddocks and bush tracks (not after some mud hill climbers).

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

Yoko G012 in 215/60R16?

I'm surprised you rubbed on 205/65's (od 673mm). I ran 225/60 (od 676mm) without issues on my outback with OEM lift

I wonder if a wheel offset change (liberty runs +55, outback +48) would help you more.

I'd be double-checking with SLO on what is suitable.

Thanks Duncan.

The scrubbibng is with 215/65/16 (not 205). Yes I had looked at the Geos, though when at the tyre shops yesterday they did not come up with the 215/60?? Not sure why, maybe I'll double check today.

What does the 'wheel offset' refer to?

SLO?? (Im new to the lingo on the forum :) )

One place I went to suggested a spacer plate that goes over the wheel nut stub axels to widden the track by maybe 5mm that could get the tyre off the boddy scribbingon full lock. Heard anything about those spaer plates? Also heard they are illegal, but for use on private/farm land I imaging no issues.
Cheers,
P

- Spacer plates are known as "Wheel spacers". They're just a thick shim, to put between the wheel and hub, moving the wheel outwards. Wheel offset is exactly what spacers change, but integral to the wheel design. It is the offset between the inner hub mating surface and the center of the rim where the tyre fits.

- outback rims have 55mm offset, compared to the 48mm of liberty which is the reverse effect ('negative spacer'). This will help with any outer-edge tyre rubbing.

- 'SLO' - Subie Lift Oz, of course! "NachaLuva" on this forum. He should be able to help you determine what max tyre sizes you can run, with the lift you have, and what wheel offset is best.

note: EDITED to remove incorrect info regarding spacers and offset

Last edited:
General Grabber - Grabber A/T in 205/65R16.

I can't speak for a lifted Lib, but in my lifted SF they rubbed (not intrusively) at the most extreme lock for the first 20,000 km but now they are barely touching at full lock. Must've only been 1mm or so.

Changing from 48mm to 55mm offset has the same effect as putting 7mm spacers on

I'm sure you know that its the opposite but for people new to the wheel offsets, ET48 is the same as ET55 with 7mm spacers (55 - 7 = 48).

I'm sure you know that its the opposite but for people new to the wheel offsets, ET48 is the same as ET55 with 7mm spacers (55 - 7 = 48).

ooh err - yes, of course.

i had rubbing on full lock metal too with 215/65R16 but with 25mm wheel spacers its no more. 2.3' strut spacers as well no prob. grabbers good tires , pretty aggresive too. just they all cost about same , so then BFG TA KO2 becomes an option too
but then how offten you doing full lock , i dont remember using that like ever.
think wheel spacers or more offset rims would fix that rubbing situation because more you lift more wheels goes inside if you OEM rims thats why more rubbing because wheel in more inside

Thanks all for the info. I was not too aware of the offset thing but now have a reasonable understanding. Still not exactly sure how the lower offset sets the tyre further out, but Im sure it works that way, somehow :)

I think I will try some 5mm spacers to see if they make any difference, then if that looks promising, could look at sourcing a set of Outback Rims. That would in effect give me 7mm extra which may be enough to get the inside edge right of the tyre off the steel.

Hows that approach sound?

And hopefully no issues on the outer wheel arch (im getting a bit of contact on the rear with a load of camping outdoor gear when moveing over uneven swales on the black top though little issue on pot holes as im guessing the wheel just snaps down then back up with outhte body resting down on the tyre??).

P

Thanks Tweaksta and DuncanM, I was told that they were 'illegal', but was thinking that it was a cheap way to at least check if an offset solved the problem and then look to go for the OB rims.

The original spacers I got did not fit and they did not have the correct ones, returned them and will shim them out another way and do some turns in the front yard to see if it fixes the rubbing problem. If so I'll chase up some OB rims.

Anyone forsee any issues in fitting the OutBack rims?
Thanks for all you sage advice too folks :)

Sourcing Grabber A/Ts

General Grabber - Grabber A/T in 205/65R16.

I can't speak for a lifted Lib, but in my lifted SF they rubbed (not intrusively) at the most extreme lock for the first 20,000 km but now they are barely touching at full lock. Must've only been 1mm or so.

Tweaksta or anyone got any ideas on where to source these? Ive also looked at their product range on line and cant see any 205/65/16. I also cant find details on the diameter, which I need to get below 686mm - ideally around 666mm cold do the job.

Suggestions - BTW I am in West Gippsland Vic

Paul

Thanks :thumbsup: Yeah, that would probably work given they will be narrower as well. Still yet to find a supplier close by and also confirmation they actually exist :)

P

Back