Install new LCA or just replace bushing

Buzang

New User
Car Year
Car Model
outback
Transmission
cvt
My lower control arm bushing is cracked and I figured I would just but some new ones in when I'm installing my new raised rallitek struts on my 2011 outback. But when I looked online I found these
https://www.carparts.com/details/Su...qfAV6Awz4BUz5cI-LAxoCCSIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A set of two whole new control arms for only $55 that's only a few dollars more than the I can just get the bushings for. Car has 75K on it and the original ball joint seams to be in good condition but for this price I figured I just replace the whole thing can save me the hassle of pressing the new bushings in. My only reservation is the quality of this control arm it's unbranded. Does anyone have any experience with this website?

Unbranded control arm. I wouldn’t trust the bush, let alone the whole arm. Could be a one hit wonder

G'day & Welcome [MENTION=16229]Buzang[/MENTION] - I made some post repairs ;-)

Other Subie forums have suggested for DIY it is easier to replace the whole arm with the bushings already installed.

Looks like some people say cracks are normal and they can keep going for a few more years as long as there is no play. Here is the other side
https://ibb.co/KrHgVcB
Maybe I'll just keep an eye on it. What do you guys think.

Any play in the bushing will affect wheel alignment and can give symptoms such as poor tire wear and steering weirdness.

Welcome.

Our mechanic of more than 20 years told me that it was cheaper to replace the entire LCA on our SH than it was to fit new bushes. That was OEM parts in both cases.

Those look fairly typical for this design of LCA rear bush (the old design was so much better!). I've never seen one that was more than a few years old without cracking
Use a crowbar or some other lever to see how much play there is in the bush. As Kevin said, any excess play will affect the wheel alignment & handling

If you replace the bush or LCA, always use rubber not urethane. urethane doesn't last here, fine for everywhere else though. Those arms look like they're rubber, but given how cheap it is there's no guarantees how long they'll last

I’ve been running urethane in mine for years. I was told never to trust rubber even when I was at school.

Back