Wind noise

ian059

Forum Member
It seems to be a recurring problem. The wind noise from the front windows, near the door mirrors. I had in the '97 Fozzie and now in the MY03. Has anyone investigated a solution or even the cause?

The only way to fix it so far is turn up the volume on the stereo. :D

If it's coming from the mirrors, your gusset (the triangular-looking window seal thingy) might be leaking. It's very common and if you look closely the rubber might even be ripped a bit where it meets the edge of the window when it's all the way rolled up. There isn't really a fix other than to replace the gusset, but I'm going to try placing some electrical tape over the little rip in the rubber on my car to see if that helps or makes it worse. The noise is getting pretty annoying to me as well.

The thread link from carljwnc is for a different noise. But there are fixes on Scooby mods somewhere. To see if the gusset is the problem get a passenger to push the gusset out against the window whilst you are driving and see if the noise stops.

If so try this quick (but temporary) cure. With the window fully down squeeze the inside and outside vertical section of the gusset together, maybe clamping overnight and see if this fixes the problem.

Thanks guys, there was a fix (in part) on scoobymods.
The gusset has an adjuster screw to move the top in or out. I have adjusted the drivers gusset and the wife tells me the noise is gone. I'll try it on the passenger side, but I don't hold much hope because that side is torn at the top for about 12mm. I'll let you know how it goes. At least the problem is halved, so far.
:woohoo:

This thread needs the assistance of some pictures. Please :)

As the saying goes about a picture and a thousand words...

The best way we can all help improve and better the site is to follow-up your mods and fixes with pitures as you are going along. Step by step is even better.

I think I found the relevant section in the manual, but I can't extract the page and can only copy the text into this message and not the diagram. The pdf has security settings.:(

NOTE:
Although front and rear sashes must, as a rule, be
adjusted in the same manner, in some door installation,
the adjustment in a different manner may be
required. However, adjustment of one sash to the
maximum amount and the other to the minimum
amount is not permitted. Such adjustment may result
in application of excessive load to regulator.
11) After adjustments, tighten the nuts.
12) After adjustment to glass, close the door. If
there is a gap between outer lip of gusset and glass
surface, adjust the gap with adjusting nut (A) in lower
fitting part of the gusset to prevent generation of
wind noise.
13) During adjustments, loosen the other three
clamping screws.
window adjustment.jpg
14) After adjustment, tighten the bolts and nuts.

Last edited:
Hi guys, i too have this exact problem in my 2003 MY04. I have been looking everywhere to see if there is a cure for this. It had nearly got to the point of selling the car it annoys me that much... Will try and fix this on the weekend thanks to your site!!!

You guys are great help!!! Love the site...

Well today I replaced the gussets on the Forester. I was suffering some massive wind noise...

Drove home today, NO WIND NOISE! Like driving a brand new car!!!!!!!

If your suffering the same thing go get it done!!!!!!!!! We did it ourselves and it is quite easy if your a handy dude.

Jode. :)

Jode, do you mean you replaced the whole lot, or did one of the fixes mentioned here?

I need to do it on mine too...

Back