• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Winch on Forester

Guess you got over your concerns about weight! Lol, personally I'd try and stay away from ebay stuff, though i guess a foz is unlikely to break even a cheap 9000lb winch.

Thats why I like the look of this one because its quite light. The dyneema make a huge difference to weight. Cant find a 6k with dyneema though.

I think he means swap over your existing Dyneema rope from your old winch to your new one.

though i guess a foz is unlikely to break even a cheap 9000lb winch.

famous last words lol. Quick....touch wood :raz:

I'd prob stay away from anything cheap, even if it has a high rating. The design might be good but cheap often means poor quality control so just more trouble :(

I know you're on a budget...I'd prefer to go a midprice 6000lb than a cheap 9000lb....

I think he means swap over your existing Dyneema rope from your old winch to your new one.

The Dyneema on the old winch is pretty ****ty now and needs to be replaced. Also not sure if its up to the extra load and its to short as well so thats not really an option:shake:

I actually meant buy new rope as well. the rope looks f$%ked in his photos of the failed unit.

I actually meant buy new rope as well. the rope looks f$%ked in his photos of the failed unit.

Yep rope is in pretty **** condition. Think it was pretty crap quality to begin with as it was never even close to round after winching...

Maybe save for the mean mother winch and upgrade the rope later?

Yeah ill probably just leave it for the minute until sufficient funds happen and maybe in the mean time a second hand bull bar will come up and I can install the winch inside that with some extra reinforcing to make the front completely awesome :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

maybe in the mean time a second hand bull bar will come up and I can install the winch inside that with some extra reinforcing to make the front completely awesome :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

they keep popping up on ebay & gumtree. Just make sure you get the mounts as well as often they're sold without them. SubaXtreme can supply spare mounts but TJM cant...

they keep popping up on ebay & gumtree. Just make sure you get the mounts as well as often they're sold without them. SubaXtreme can supply spare mounts but TJM cant...

Yep keeping my eye out. I could always knock up some mounts. If im putting a winch in the bar ill definitely need some custom mounts. Ive been wondering about the possibility of fitting a bar designed for other vehicles on a foz. Cant find much about compatibility on the net but surely some vehicle is a similar shape.

I've been thinking about that as well, was thinking of taking some mesurments and going to a few wreckers

Im thinking a bull bar off a older 4x4 ute would be a pretty good fit. Measured a gu nissan patrols one and is way to big though...

depending on the shape, theres always the option of cutting a section out of the middle.

depending on the shape, theres always the option of cutting a section out of the middle.

Yeah been thinking that as well. Only problem is welding aluminium if its an alloy bar and im thinking steel is way to heavy for a forester....

You got a link to that? I searched the website and no reference to any sale....

It came in the mail, sale starts 29/05 ends 10/06

EDIT:
This is the winch:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/o...y-Winch.aspx?pid=219721&menuFrom=100209#Cross
$725 now, on sale $358.

There's also a 12,000lb, $675 save $250, comes with Dyneema rope 10mm x 28m:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/o...-000Lb-12V-4WD-Recovery-Winch.aspx?pid=284085

You can also get a service kit for these:
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/o...r-4WD-Winch-Service-Kit.aspx?pid=326361#Cross

My housemate works in a 4WD car yard, he says the they're always replacing the solenoids....

Last edited:
Back