• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Essentials

hoadie

Forum Member
Wow, first post in this area lol

This might sound like a silly question to the most seasoned campers amongst you but for someone like me who's only just gotten back into it after a break of 20 or so years, what do you guys consider bare essentials for a trip, even if it's just an overnighter..

eg do you consider things like fire extinguishers (and what types?) an essential?

that kinda thing.

You must always have at least:
  • HP Sauce
  • Tabasco Sauce
  • Chilli Powder
  • Worcestershire sauce
:D

And you must have a few coldies to wash it down with also. :D:p

But getting back to the main question...I always take plenty of water, an air compressor, tyre repair kit, a spare pair of clothes, fire extinguisher, basic recovery gear (snatch strap etc) & my ever faithful camera.

My compressor, tyre repair kit & fire extinguisher always live in the car, because, whether your out camping or just driving around town, you never know when you will need to use them.

Regards
Mr Turbo

In terms of camp cooking - I like the new portable stoves that use the aerosol cans.
They are cheap ($20 at woolies) and the cans are only a couple of bucks.
While the dont put out huge heat, they are good enough to heat a meal.
So if you want simplicity and arent expecting to cook a 2 inch thick steak then they are great.

Some other neat stuff that wasnt around 20 years ago - roll up tables!
These are aluminium and the top is slats that come off and roll up. The whole thing ends up the size of a folding chair. Getting very cheap now - should be around $50-$100 (or work up for better names, more sturdy)

Minus all the firstaid/recovery/tyre stuff already packed and the waeco it is typically a shovel, 1 bog roll, the swag, a tarp, a chair to keep bum off the ground, change of clothes& boots, a dozen snags, an onion, a good knfe, fry pan, billy, mug, teabags, a loaf of bread, all the sauces, chainsaw, guns and/or rods and associated accesories. Add to this the bino's, camera, uhf, gps and camelback and that's pretty much it if I go alone (or with the dog).

With the family is a whole other story... most of the above (if I'm lucky) + tent, pillow top blow up matress, inflator thing for matress, pillows, food other than sausages & onions, enough water/beer/wine/rum/port, portable gas stove, table, lantern, cutlery/plates, washing up dish and soap, towels, 12V shower.

Last edited:
All of the above + Firewood if camping within a national park + never forget the Ipod (IPhone now :iconwink:) and Speakers.

Cripp

I've got all my gear in a tub that is ready to go at any time (besides the recovery gear/compressor which live in the car).

The tub has:
Trangia and metho (also have a the $20 job mentioned above if needed)
matches (wind/waterproof)
foil
plate/bowl/mug
knifes and forks and spoons
a few tupperware containers
strainer
aerogaurd
oil
soap
a few sauces
salt/pepper/few spices
first aid kit
spare pots/pans/cooking utensils
spare torch
batteries

Other gear:
25lt jerry can (water)
swag
therma rest
-10 Degrees goose down bag (winter)
5 Degrees bag (rest of the year)
Camera,GPS,Binnos,Spotlight

Depending on where I'm going and for how long depends on which/how much gear I'm taking, most of the time I'll carry the bare minimum (which all fits in a backpack - I do alot of hike-in camping)

In terms of camp cooking - I like the new portable stoves that use the aerosol cans.
They are cheap ($20 at woolies) and the cans are only a couple of bucks.
While the dont put out huge heat, they are good enough to heat a meal.
So if you want simplicity and arent expecting to cook a 2 inch thick steak then they are great.

x2
better still, bring someone who knows how to cook with it while you do more important things - like fishing

boiling water for a cuppa

Attachments

• cook.jpg
    cook.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 81
My kind of thread

Hello all!

I'm new here. I just bought my Subaru outback about a month ago, and was looking into what I should carry around all the time.

Lots of great ideas here! :)

Right now, all I've got in it is:
a folding shovel
some tools
fire extinguisher
first aid kit
pair of coveralls

Right now it's mid summer, and about to turn the hottest of the year.
So, what I'm thinking is:
Light sleeping bag (good down to 40 I believe)
Therma rest
small but sturdy tent (Eureka Timberline 2 man)
Small pack that will carry all of this.
Stove (most places in the US now have laws against camp fires except in designated locations)
mess kit with utensils
couple of days worth of food (non-perishable, freeze dried, canned, etc.)
Sturdy knife
change of clothing
raincoat or poncho
Camel Back

For the stove, I've got a couple to chose from. The old reliable Coleman, a US GI M-1950 mountain stove that can't be killed, I ended up with a new Coleman multi-fuel but not sure where from. And just picked up a used Trangia 27 series that I'm dying to try out.

Mike

hi Mike, welcome to ORS. here's a couple of check lists for everyone to look at. you'll know what sort of camping your doing so just pick out what you'll need. if going off road all recovery equipment too.

weekendcampingchecklists.jpg

1weekormorecampingchecklist.jpg

Earplugs in case you have noisy neighbours at the caravan park.
Blindfold as I like to sleep in a bit and it gets bright in the tent
length of rope and clothes pegs or you can buy a pegless clothesline

Earplugs in case you have noisy neighbours at the caravan park.
Blindfold as I like to sleep in a bit and it gets bright in the tent
length of rope and clothes pegs or you can buy a pegless clothesline
1.caravan park is not camping
2.a head full of piss will fix that
3.good idea!
hahaha:D

Depends on when and where you are going. For bigger trips I always take some fencing wire- it has certainly gotten me home on mre than one occassion. Spares- well, hoses and belts come to mind, but globes & fuses as well, and tyres obviously. Going anywhere without a camp oven these days is decidely primitive, and chainsaws sound a better idea the older you get. A nice chair to relax in, a good swag and sleeping bag are essential- expecially the latter. UHF for chatting with, an HF for emergencies and letting someone know where you will be all make sense.

Hygeine is vital and if venturing away from the bush some bottled water will save you from misfortune. Water is probably the most important, and take heaps. Some basic tools will also help, but like I said, it will depend on how far you are going. I would also advise that you be very careful about tresspassing on Aboriginal land. The fines for a white man tresspassing on Aboriginal land are significantly greater in some states than say an Aboriginal man tresspassing on white man's land. I have heard of a number of people being caught out by this so be careful.

Good luck and enjoy your camping

I also have zip ties & gaffer tape with me at all times. These have saved my bacon many a time.

Regards
Mr Turbo

Back