upper engine cleaner

marvellous_matt

Forum Member
HI, I'm about to service my myo5 forester x, I wonder what peoples thoughts are on the upper engine cleaner recommended by subaru? SA459T. is there an after market equivalent? its 137500km service, so other wise Ill be doing doing oil and filter, iridium plugs will be ok for while longer. any other suggestions?
thanks from Matt

define what an "upper engine cleaner" is pleas. IN the USA it has a lot of differnt meanings.

nipper

Hi Nipper, some of your fellow countrymen refer to it as Seafoam (or it could be the brand name I think), what you do is spray a can of fluid into a vacuum line near the throttle body and it it is supposed to clean out the upper cylinder of carbon deposits etc., it definitely makes the engine run a lot smoother afterwards.

Kevin if you visit and watch the OzLiberty Forum site you can generally get the Subaru UEC for around about $8.00 a can.

I got 6 x for $48 postage included from a guy in Brissy a couple of months ago.

Matt - I have looked and asked around on various forums for an equivalent or better UEC than the Subaru Brand and have been told that a few dealers like Holden even use it, it is that good.

P.S. Check out the OzLiberty link in this post.

Last edited:
Hi Nipper, some of your fellow countrymen refer to it as Seafoam (or it could be the brand name I think), what you do is spray a can of fluid into a vacuum line near the throttle body and it it is supposed to clean out the upper cylinder of carbon deposits etc., it definitely makes the engine run a lot smoother afterwards.
Ah, seafoam is good.

nipper

So where is the best place to get it? I'm guessing Subaru dealers would have it but be expensive.

Are there any probs with using it?

The Seafoam website says pour half in throttle body, half in tank!

The price of this stuff has almost doubled in a just a few years. It was not that long ago it was about $13 a can.

Kevin if you visit and watch the OzLiberty Forum site you can generally get the Subaru UEC for around about $8.00 a can.

I got 6 x for $48 postage included from a guy in Brissy a couple of months ago.

The price of this stuff has almost doubled in a just a few years. It was not that long ago it was about $13 a can.

& now $20 per can! Which politician do we blame for that! lol :ebiggrin:

It sounds good stuff but is there anyway i can use it in my N/A '98 Forester without removing the air filter & disconnecting the MAF sensor...seems a bit of a hassle. Surely theres an easier way!

It sounds good stuff but is there anyway i can use it in my N/A '98 Forester without removing the air filter & disconnecting the MAF sensor...seems a bit of a hassle. Surely theres an easier way!

I've seen various methods people have used introducing the spray or fluid (seafoam) using a vacuum hose they pulled off of the intake manifold. However, the only way I've been able to see that will evenly distribute the stuff to each intake runner to make it to each cylinder is to put it down the throttle body. If you look at the vac hoses and where they are, they tend to favor either a single cylinder or one side of the motor over the other.

Oh bugger, looks like i'll do it that way then.

So, on a tangent, what is a "modfather"? How do i become one, lol ;)
My 1st ambition is to lose "junior member" status, become a "senior" member, then work my way up to "modfather" :biggrin:

Just start your own website on Subaru modifications, do a lot of mods and document the crap out of them:

www.scoobymods.com

In my experience, it's usually the hard way that really is the only one that works properly. unfortunately...

So where is the best place to get it? I'm guessing Subaru dealers would have it but be expensive.

Are there any probs with using it?

The Seafoam website says pour half in throttle body, half in tank!

Yes a Subaru Dealer is a good place. but don't bother with gettin it posted like I tried. Its expensive because its a chemical and transporting chemicals is dangerous :rolleyessarcastic:

I get my upper engine cleaner from my local Subaru dealer. Its about $20 or so a can.
You might want to try our new site vendor www.domsmotors.com.au too.

Regards
Mr Turbo

+1 Andy (GreenTreeFrog) can help you out. I was quoted $19 a can. There abouts I guess :raspberry:

Im really keen to try some in my Foz since its never had it to my knowledge. It will have to wait until I can go to Perth though and get to a dealer...

Taza

Do you guys recommend the spray or the additive to fuel tank?
Is the only place you can buy either a subaru dealership?
Any sold at super cheap which are the equivalent?

Thanks

I would only use the genuine Subaru stuff myself. So does our (non-Subaru) mechanic. There is probably a reason why he uses the genuine stuff for some or most brands of cars. He is a bloody good mechanic, IMNSHO.

I want our two "new" s/h cars to last as long as possible. That means taking good care of them.

Roo1 (1993 Impreza) gave me 234,000 kms of faithful service over 19 years, and never left me anywhere, not even once.
Almost no repairs (water pump, air-con compressor, tailpipe and muffler, couple of re-con drive shafts from damaged CV boots). The rest was normal maintenance like brake pads and stuff. The worst was rust around the windscreen from a sloppy w/s replacement job. Took about 7 years for the rust to come through ... Cost a grand to have fixed before we sold it.

It is my expectation that Roo2 will outlast me ...

Back