• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Steering wheel alignment after tyre balancing/alignment

pezimm

Forum Member
I had this problem before with my previous car... After you take your car through wheel balancing and alignment they never check the steering wheel alignment, which is more than often out of spec.

I just picked the car up this arvo from my authorised dealer of choice and noticed within the first 100m that if I wanted to go straight ahead I now needed to point the steering wheel at 11 o'clock position!:furious:

This is really annoying and I have absolutely no idea why they always omit this simple check other than pure slack!:shake:

I'll put their promise of 100% satisfaction to the test and see if they can adjust this nice and quickly, we shall see. I reckon the best way to adjust is to wind the tie rod in/out and re-tighten the lock-nut, I don't want any messing around in airbag and steering wheel mounting, as it's not as precise.

Anything else I should be wary of??

No. This is just a really sloppy tech, or techs who do this. Check your tire pressure too, as that is somehting else that should be checked as part of the alighnment.

nipper

pezimm,

That always bugs me too. If they were to remove and refit the steering wheel, then straight ahead would not be in the centre of the rack, and you would have more lock in one direction over the other. They need to align straight ahead with the centre of the rack.

Beigewagon.

Well, following up on this, yesterday I sent an email to the service feedback address that was on a bit of paper hanging from my rear view mirror when I collected the car (the one talking about their 10 out of 10 approach).

The service guy who received my car yesterday actually called me this morning to check when I could get the car back there. They scored 1 point, as it means their communication channels are working...

I'll bring the car in again tomorrow to get that adjusted. Will report later on correction effectiveness and timing.

Cheers!

I'll bring the car in again tomorrow to get that adjusted.

Brought the car in and... surprise surprise: PROBLEM NOT SOLVED!! These guys are hopeless!

Well, I complained again and this time got no response, maybe I got included in their "bad customer" list, who knows??

Not taking my service business back there, that's for sure!

Back